Do you let your kids quit things?

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
They live down in Florida, but I'll say this, I saw the fields and they were impeccable, they got refs too, all of it seems like a serious developmental league....now with that said, i'll repeat what you said, its just some cleats, a ball, some regular park field and some nets....

:dead:
I dunno man, its so expensive, yet our national team isn't that great and the MLS is still not as competitive with those european leagues. They purposely price out kids that would be better at soccer.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
They're expected to see things through.

It's not about the sport. The way I see it is, the lesson is you don't quit just because you don't like something or you become unmotivated or you're not doing well.
That's not a good lesson imo. Just trains people to accept their lot in life and be a loser. When in reality accepting that something isn't working and pivoting to something else and for more valuable a trait.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yup until they find something they like.
Nothing worse than an overbearing parent forcing something on a child to live vicariously because they were trash in their youth
Nah there is a difference between being overbearing and pushing a kid to see things through to the end.

You have to push children so they learn and grow.
Letting them do whatever they want or don't want is enabling their whims.

Is your job as a parent to mold and teach?
Or is it to sit back and just support whatever they think and feel on that particular day?

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I dunno man, its so expensive, yet our national team isn't that great and the MLS is still not as competitive with those european leagues. They purposely price out kids that would be better at soccer.
I remember in the 2000s hearing about the cost of kids playing soccer and how expensive it is...I never really looked into the actual dollar amounts until my brother told me that story last year. He realized they were a serious league, and maybe his kid wasn't at that level, he thought it would be like $100-$200 to rent the fields, and some basic uniforms. But he told me that story and showed me the letter and I almost fell over.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's not a good lesson imo. Just trains people to accept their lot in life and be a loser. When in reality accepting that something isn't working and pivoting to something else and for more valuable a trait.
I don't think so.

I think it teaches determination and persistence.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I remember in the 2000s hearing about the cost of kids playing soccer and how expensive it is...I never really looked into the actual dollar amounts until my brother told me that story last year. He realized they were a serious league, and maybe his kid wasn't at that level, he thought it would be like $100-$200 to rent the fields, and some basic uniforms. But he told me that story and showed me the letter and I almost fell over.
This just makes me think back to high school, at least up here in NJ. We have prep/catholic schools. When we look at the schools that win most of the basketball championships, its not the rich schools or the schools from the rich districts. I'm not so sure about football, because I know football equipment is expensive. The way soccer is handled at the developmental ages are a bit to preppy for my liking.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
This just makes me think back to high school, at least up here in NJ. We have prep/catholic schools. When we look at the schools that win most of the basketball championships, its not the rich schools or the schools from the rich districts. I'm not so sure about football, because I know football equipment is expensive. The way soccer is handled at the developmental ages are a bit to preppy for my liking.
In Florida, Texas and California they real serious about soccer at the youth level. That's how Landon Donovan got scouted, playing in a Florida youth league. All that money goes to coaches, equipment, fields, refs, traveling,...and while it may separate the serious kids from the non-serious, it leaves lots of talented kids out. Like you said, not all the rich schools win the championships. All the talented kids is left out cause their parents ain't got that bread, smh.

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
My hope is that I’ll engage my son in enough activities that he’ll find something he naturally likes and wants to be good at.

I don’t look at quitting something as a bad thing, most people have a hard time doing well at things that don’t interest them. No use wasting money and our time if it’s not where his heart is.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In Florida, Texas and California they real serious about soccer at the youth level. That's how Landon Donovan got scouted, playing in a Florida youth league. All that money goes to coaches, equipment, fields, refs, traveling,...and while it may separate the serious kids from the non-serious, it leaves lots of talented kids out. Like you said, not all the rich schools win the championships. All the talented kids is left out cause their parents ain't got that bread, smh.
It's a miracle that athletes are developed in Florida at all. From my understanding, there's no public support for anything.

Any field you want to play on or practice on....has to come out of the pockets of the parents. They're always doing bake sales and car washes and other shyt to raise money for the baseball team or whatever.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

In NY, for example...if you play high school basketball...you just try out for the team. You don't have to raise any money for it.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Prefer them to be realistic and successful. I got a 60 year old uncle still trying to make it as a rapper.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
I don't think that happens when people quit.

But it doesn't make your opinion any less valid. We just don't necessarily agree here.
That's cool.

:manny:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Agreed! Some of my favorite talents, Thierry Henry, grew up in the hoods of Paris. Messi's family wasn't rich in Argentina. shyt, you could probably do this exercise for the whole Brazilian National team from the 1990s and early 2000s

Daps
Reppin
NYC
It's a miracle that athletes are developed in Florida at all. From my understanding, there's no public support for anything.

Any field you want to play on or practice on....has to come out of the pockets of the parents. They're always doing bake sales and car washes and other shyt to raise money for the baseball team or whatever.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

In NY, for example...if you play high school basketball...you just try out for the team. You don't have to raise any money for it.
Man, I remember when I played little league baseball, my dad threw in like $50-$100 in the collection plate for our uniforms. Mind you, the uniforms were a tshirt that said "Tony's Electronics & Appliances" on the front, and a generic number font on the back :mjlol:

That money covered the shirts, pants, caps, and a participation trophy we all got at the end :mjlol:

I still got all the pictures and memories though, "you know I hit .333 with runners in scoring position in 94'? to this day that's a regional-local zip code record :myman:we were state-local-regional-community semi finalist that year too :myman: let me dust off my old MVP trophy, eyo moms you still got them boxes down in the basement??? "

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
Yeah. But only when it's something new and we encourage them to give it more time. We also start them off in things that don’t require an investment that’s too significant. Most sports, music, and dance classes do require an investment of a few hundred. It shouldn’t be in the thousands unless you’re doing advanced sports, dance competitions, etc.

And at that point yes it’s too late to quit because thats more of changing their minds on a whim. So no you have to wait until the season is over at that point.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Before a kid signs up for an organized activity, you've played sports with them or seen them play against other kids.
Can see how competitive they are, and what drives them. See how they handle winning and losing.

When they sign up for camps, teams, and leagues you can give them encouragement and support, but how they respond to competition will teach them about life.