Do you let your kids quit things?

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Having a group discussion about the high cost of kids sports these days.
Equipment, traveling teams....things are getting expensive and out of control.

Then one of my friends says "you spend all this money, and then the kid quits halfway through the season"
...and I just about lost my shyt.

I thought we were all raised with the idea that if you start something, you finish it.
Am I crazy?

WTF are parents even doing these days? Or am I really that out of touch?

:why:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I myself don't have kids, but one of my home girls talks about this all the time. She has a 13 year old, and she tried putting him in 3 different sports, paid money out the ass, only for the kid to quit weeks later...each and every time.

The last time I saw her she said, "the first week was great, they got their uniforms and he loved it, then the next week the coach made them run laps, and he didn't like sweating and being hot, so that was the end of it..."

The days of telling your kids to toughen up and keep at it are gone.

:dead:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
You should know if your child is into sports or not. You don't just sign them expecting the coach to make them into an athlete.
Most of these kids didn't grow playing baseball in the backyard, or basketball in the driveway, or whatever. Then are expected to last in an organized league

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You should know if your child is into sports or not. You don't just sign them expecting the coach to make them into an athlete.
Most of these kids didn't grow playing baseball in the backyard, or basketball in the driveway, or whatever. Then are expected to last in an organized league
They're expected to see things through.

It's not about the sport. The way I see it is, the lesson is you don't quit just because you don't like something or you become unmotivated or you're not doing well.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I dunno. On one hand, I dont want them to have the habit of just quitting things. On the other hand, I don't want them to feel like their being punished for continuing something they thought they'd like. Especially if its taking time away from something else

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I dunno. On one hand, I dont want them to have the habit of just quitting things. On the other hand, I don't want them to feel like their being punished for continuing something they thought they'd like. Especially if its taking time away from something else
Quitting is a habit.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Having a group discussion about the high cost of kids sports these days.
Equipment, traveling teams....things are getting expensive and out of control.

Then one of my friends says "you spend all this money, and then the kid quits halfway through the season"
...and I just about lost my shyt.

I thought we were all raised with the idea that if you start something, you finish it.
Am I crazy?

WTF are parents even doing these days? Or am I really that out of touch?

:why:
Out of curiosity I hit up my brother about 10 mins ago and asked him about this, last year he tried to put his kid in soccer, and they told him it was something like $6,000, four payments of $1500, and they tell you when to make those payments, basically you making a deal with a mob tied bookie :dead:

on top of that they gave him a list of "acceptable soccer cleats" for some reason, he could only buy his kid those from the list :dead:

his kid is 8 years old too :dead:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
If the kids love the sports...theyll never leave it. I played baseball coming up....should of been playing football too because i liked being a wide receiver. Manipulating is more entertaining though.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Out of curiosity I hit up my brother about 10 mins ago and asked him about this, last year he tried to put his kid in soccer, and they told him it was something like $6,000, four payments of $1500, and they tell you when to make those payments, basically you making a deal with a mob tied bookie :dead:

on top of that they gave him a list of "acceptable soccer cleats" for some reason, he could only buy his kid those from the list :dead:

6k for soccer? Its 50-120 for some decent cleats, a ball is like 60ish, and any regular park has goals with nets. That's ridiculous.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
6k for soccer? Its 50-120 for some decent cleats, a ball is like 60ish, and any regular park has goals with nets. That's ridiculous.
They live down in Florida, but I'll say this, I saw the fields and they were impeccable, they got refs too, all of it seems like a serious developmental league....now with that said, i'll repeat what you said, its just some cleats, a ball, some regular park field and some nets....

:dead:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I don't know what to say.