Do you care if Black game developers are working on games starring Black characters?

Do you care if Black game developers are working on games starring Black characters?

• Yes, it's important that Black people are involved in creating video games starring Black characters

• No, I don't care about this

• Whether I care or not depends on if the game is exclusive to the platform I stan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Yes and no.

Yes because I'd like some black characters in games.

No because I understand they actually want to make money.

A black character in a game has to be set in a grounded title or have some very clever design.

I question how many legit black nerds there are to support titles that don't meet a specific archetype.

Last edited:
Daps
Yes and no, it depends.

Both black people and white people create ignorant portrayals of black people for whatever reason. Unfortunately black people don't have the luxury of automatic great or even average character creation. Even when black people create black characters they make them garbage on purpose and then use the black card to justify it.

We have to oversee how we are being represented, which technically we already do, but only for black women.

Also black people have a self respect problem and sell out frequently. Racist people in positions of power would just find a black person to green light the most toxic shyt and say "It's not racist we had a black person review it"

Last edited:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
In an ideal world yes, in the real world Black faces in the game industry are relatively few and I understand that most of them they have to take the work where they can get it.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
It’s more important that there are checks and balances to ensure the character is of a certain pedigree, and that a baseline standard is established to measure against.

For example, it doesn’t matter who writes Batman (movie, comic, or game) bc DC and WB execs will be up that ass if Bruce Wayne isn’t aligned with his baseline characteristics and mannerisms.

I.e. a dc hater can’t sneak in and make dude homophobic, sexist, racist, or side with any political party. It wouldn’t make it past the first script review.

But are there any checks and balances stopping a Jason Whitlock/Uncle Ruckus type c00n from imposing c00ntastic elements to an original black character? Or the more subtle things like making the character asexual (no love interest) or a magical negro type (just there to save the white friend)?

It took the Netflix show (Arcane) to actually give Ekko Afrocentric hair after having that white folk mohawk in the game for years. In other words, somebody during Arcane production said “we better give this black character black hair”.

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
Its important and I care.

However, not all skinfolk are kinfolk, so the type of black folks working on that game does matter too. Just need someone in there who can help create an authentic, genuine black character.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Yes and no, it depends.

Both black people and white people create ignorant portrayals of black people for whatever reason. Unfortunately black people don't have the luxury of automatic great or even average character creation. Even when black people create black characters they make them garbage on purpose and then use the black card to justify it.

We have to oversee how we are being represented, which technically we already do, but only for black women.

Also black people have a self respect problem and sell out frequently. Racist people in positions of power would just find a black person to green light the most toxic shyt and say "It's not racist we had a black person review it"

This, when a black character can’t step out of the boundaries of trope it really does nothing but enforce stereotypes. For example that old Rufus concept art for SFIV was just lazy and a one off character, but people praised him to no end. Why? He was black had a gold chain, fur lined gi, and sneakers, nothing but parody.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I care in the sense that I like black people getting jobs in the industry

But I don’t think black writers are required to have black characters in a game.

It’s just when white people try to put their view of “black culture” in a game without consulting real black folks that there’s a problem.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Yes I do. I bought some African games on Steam a few years back simply because of that. And the games was good.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
If they are trying to act like their game is contributing to representation then yes, needs to be black folks involved at all levels,
For example this game the main characters were both voiced by white women and you could really feel it in their personalities in the banter.
The game is set in india, and the indian doesn't really care all that much about her culture, she acts like a tourist in her own country.
The black women is aussie and trying to act like a badass tough take no shyt stereotype of black women, but ends up coming off brat and entitled.
Putting some black folks in the writers room, on the casting crew, etc would've helped this out so much.
UNCHARTED-The-Lost-Legacy---PlayStation-4