Do we have any electrician's on the coli

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
I know the feel. :therethere:

Glad to be done with that. I fell right through a ceiling my first year. walked it off, drove to the store, got some drywall and a can of that ceiling shyt. good as new :smoker:

Lucky you. My worst ceiling was when I did the museum of music and television. I only had maybe 18 inches of clearance. There were ducts everywhere and I kept getting poked with sheet rock screws that was holding up the ceiling. I was running their speaker cables. If I would've fell it would've been ugly. At least a 30 foot drop.

But nah I don't wear any protective suits. Not only do I not have any but I don't know what I'm coming across on a daily basis. Usually I'm in a different school everyday trying to figure out how I'm going to mount a wireless access point or camera or vape detector. Everyday is a new adventure so it makes it kinda fun.

The Oracle

Expat
Daps
Reppin
the world
There's several issues when it comes to cleaning up after somebody. For starters

Can you even discontinue power so you can reroute the wires? You're not turning off power to a switch that's feeding a hospital wing

If you can discontinue power, is there enough slack on the wires to reroute them? These electricians ain't leaving extra copper in the ceiling for anybody. That takes time and money

Are the wires labeled?
Do you know where they're coming from and where they're going?
Have they been spliced?

trying to unfukk others work is a nightmare. i used to just rip all their shyt out and run it fresh, that way there are no surprises.

a guy who just ran out of 6 guage red isn't going back to the store, he's just gonna run whatever color he has and not bother labeling it what does he care he'll be long gone

Lucky you. My worst ceiling was when I did the museum of music and television. I only had maybe 18 inches of clearance. There were ducts everywhere and I kept getting poked with sheet rock screws that was holding up the ceiling. I was running their speaker cables. If I would've fell it would've been ugly. At least a 30 foot drop.

But nah I don't wear any protective suits. Not only do I not have any but I don't know what I'm coming across on a daily basis. Usually I'm in a different school everyday trying to figure out how I'm going to mount a wireless access point or camera or vape detector. Everyday is a new adventure so it makes it kinda fun.

yeah i was doing residential then, wasn't much of a drop but it scared the shyt out of the homeowner who was on the couch. she was just trying to get some recessed lighting, not a fukkin skylight :pachaha:

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
trying to unfukk others work is a nightmare. i used to just rip all their shyt out and run it fresh, that way there are no surprises.

a guy who just ran out of 6 guage red isn't going back to the store, he's just gonna run whatever color he has and not bother labeling it what does he care he'll be long gone

yeah i was doing residential then, wasn't much of a drop but it scared the shyt out of the homeowner who was on the couch. she was just trying to get some recessed lighting, not a fukkin skylight :pachaha:

That's hilarious. I never fukked with residential. I don't like it at all. I much rather wire up a company floor with 100 rooms and offices and 300 cubicles

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
well fire away nikka

I got a couple questions too.

If/when you become an electrician, a good way to make money is to get with house flippers and do the work for them for money on the back end. A friend of mine will clear 125k easily this year because he got plugged in and was doing all the wiring etc. upfront for money when the houses sold. Easy way to stay busy if you can build connections and if you are able to work for “free” upfront with money coming later

:salute:

I’m just here for the double entendres :wow:

The Oracle

Expat
Daps
Reppin
the world
That's hilarious. I never fukked with residential. I don't like it at all. I much rather wire up a company floor with 100 rooms and offices and 300 cubicles
pros and cons to both. I think everyone should do both and then focus on what they enjoy more. There's good money in residential. I mean I've heard of guys charging over a hundred bucks to put in a dimmer switch lmao

• Dap
Reactions: Mal

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
pros and cons to both. I think everyone should do both and then focus on what they enjoy more. There's good money in residential. I mean I've heard of guys charging over a hundred bucks to put in a dimmer switch lmao

Yeah. That type of stuff definitely happens. I just don't like having to make holes in walls and ceilings trying to figure out what's behind them and then having to repair shyt

flea

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade County

It’s crazy how different trades have these type of questions. Ive ran into so many services where whoever was there before didn’t leave me enough slack and I just sit there salty as fukk wondering how to make this miracle happen. A simple electric strike or mag lock swap out turns into a headache because of this

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
It’s crazy how different trades have these type of questions. Ive ran into so many services where whoever was there before didn’t leave me enough slack and I just sit there salty as fukk wondering how to make this miracle happen. A simple electric strike or mag lock swap out turns into a headache because of this

I've never done service for it but I have installed strikes and mag locks. And if it wasn't in the contract then I'd just run you some banana cable or 18/2 or 18/4

Jim Cornette

The Cult of Meat with Extra Cheese...
Daps
Reppin
Australia
man I've been researching like crazy the past few weeks about trying to get my Australian trade certificates recognized in the U.S...

I've been a journeyman for more than 5 years now.. been in the game 10 years but so sick of life out here.

I'm not having much luck tho.. it seems every state has their own board and regs for licenses. I wanna either live in the dmv (virginia... near my family), or a state wit major cities like Cali/NY.

any brehs know brehs at their work who have come from overseas?
surely y'all have worked wit some punjabis and European electricians who have moved over?! in my workshop there are more combined irish/english/punjabi electricians then there are aussie ones lmaoo

only major difference in work I can see is the fact we use 240v here instead of 110v and our color wires are different... and some of the words y'all use are weird as shyt haha

e.g

looking at this picture

s-l300.jpg

for us, the Red and the white wires are Line (think yall call em 'hot')
and the black is the Load..
Line colors- red, white, light blue and brown
Load colors- black and dark blue
earth (ground) - green or green/yellow

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
man I've been researching like crazy the past few weeks about trying to get my Australian trade certificates recognized in the U.S...

I've been a journeyman for more than 5 years now.. been in the game 10 years but so sick of life out here.

I'm not having much luck tho.. it seems every state has their own board and regs for licenses. I wanna either live in the dmv (virginia... near my family), or a state wit major cities like Cali/NY.

any brehs know brehs at their work who have come from overseas?
surely y'all have worked wit some punjabis and European electricians who have moved over?! in my workshop there are more combined irish/english/punjabi electricians then there are aussie ones lmaoo

only major difference in work I can see is the fact we use 240v here instead of 110v and our color wires are different... and some of the words y'all use are weird as shyt haha

e.g

looking at this picture

s-l300.jpg

for us, the Red and the white wires are Line (think yall call em 'hot')
and the black is the Load..
Line colors- red, white, light blue and brown
Load colors- black and dark blue
earth (ground) - green or green/yellow

You can try contacting the unions directly. I know that my local electrical union (local 3) in NYC have wanted people with experience to join their union. They have different divisions that require different qualifications

• Dap
Reactions: Mal