Do we have any electrician's on the coli

flea

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Which one your going for
Im trying to learn in my spare time. I’m a certified locksmith with handy man and contractor experience. I removed an old door and frame last week and installed a new one for the Four Seasons last week so I’m very good with my hands. I just draw a blank when it comes to electrician work. I can of course test if something is running power and connect wires with beanie caps and all the basic shyt but I’m trying to learn it inside and out. Running wires is probably my biggest weakness.

Shabazz

All Star
Daps
retired. just remember kids, don't touch the black one or the red one and you'll be fine :lolbron:

s-l300.jpg
Mind expanding on this?

flea

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
I work low voltage and electrical work looks much easier. I am interested in the future of electrical work with the rise of poe
I do SOME low voltage work when I’m installing access control systems in building but even then I’m lowkey lost and ask for a supervisor to walk me through

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
@Dreamzeedream

If they taking 300 a month then you doing real good for yourself. They take out about 3%. That 3% gives you a lot. Schooling, medical, paid vacation and time off, job security, etc. I'm not an electrician but I'm in a similar field. For the first time in 10 years I'm working in a non union shop. shyt is wack. Ya must not really understand where we would all be without the unions.

Unions are for the types you want to work in that for 20 years plus and looking for that pension to retire with
For me, I'm trying to get the enough experience so I can branch on my own and start my own company. Yes, theoretically, I can join the Union and do that. But that environment isn't bred for individualism, and runs like a military

I'm not saying I'm 100% not gonna join one to gain the experience, but anyone who loves them more power to them :hubie:

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Unions are for the types you want to work in that for 20 years plus and looking for that pension to retire with
For me, I'm trying to get the enough experience so I can branch on my own and start my own company. Yes, theoretically, I can join the Union and do that. But that environment isn't bred for individualism, and runs like a military

I'm not saying I'm 100% not gonna join one to gain the experience, but anyone who loves them more power to them :hubie:

If you just trying to learn the shyt and keep it moving then yeah. It's not that easy tho . I know many who have failed. Best of luck

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Im trying to learn in my spare time. I’m a certified locksmith with handy man and contractor experience. I removed an old door and frame last week and installed a new one for the Four Seasons last week so I’m very good with my hands. I just draw a blank when it comes to electrician work. I can of course test if something is running power and connect wires with beanie caps and all the basic shyt but I’m trying to learn it inside and out. Running wires is probably my biggest weakness.

Most electricians run wire like idiots. Like they have no code. They look for the shortest route and bee line it. They don't give a fukk about going right thru my bundle of cat 6 cable. And they obviously don't give a fukk what type of interference they give off

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Mind expanding on this?

the white wire is your neutral line

green wire is your ground line, which ends up on a grounding rod that goes into the ground to disperse the current so you dont get shocked in the house if you touch anything

red and black are live wires, which carry your main sources of power

@The Oracle can expand on this..i may be a little off.

I was an electrician in the Marines but I got out 3 years ago. I still remember some stuff. I work in the education field now, but a lot of times I wonder if it would be worth it to join the IBEW here in Atlanta. I'd be making way more as an electrician but I love teaching

The Oracle

Expat
Daps
Reppin
the world
Before you future greenies and future apprentisaurus get too crazy about being a sparky, take a look at this list of shyt you are going to want to know something about.

Definitions of Electrical Terms You Should Know - EAHQ

If you still feel like crawling through attics and under homes or doing commercial and getting hit with 440 after that, be my guest. :hubie: as @JAY? said, this shyt ain't for everybody

flea

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Most electricians run wire like idiots. Like they have no code. They look for the shortest route and bee line it. They don't give a fukk about going right thru my bundle of cat 6 cable. And they obviously don't give a fukk what type of interference they give off
THAT’S exactly why I said what I said. I’ve seen some electrical work that looks like shyt but since I don’t know much about electrical work I don’t really know how to clean that up. It’s like me walking up to a job site and I know exactly what the previous dikk head did and I know how to fix it and clean it up and clean up the previous worker’s mess. I’m not on the level where I can do that for electrical work but im happy as hell that an experience electrician can confirm to me that most shytty electricians don’t know how to run wires. THATS WHY I want to learn that shyt. Me cleaning up the mess just means more money for me

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Before you future greenies and future apprentisaurus get too crazy about being a sparky, take a look at this list of shyt you are going to want to know something about.

Definitions of Electrical Terms You Should Know - EAHQ

If you still feel like crawling through attics and under homes or doing commercial and getting hit with 440 after that, be my guest. :hubie: as @JAY? said, this shyt ain't for everybody

Yeah. Just today I had to walk in an attic above an auditorium. Carefully walking on planks. One false step and you going through that ceiling. It's not unusual to find rats and birds up there. Then I had to crawl thru a crawl space that's about 2.5 feet high and wide. It was like 100 feet in with all types of turns. The floor was littered with rocks, nails, sand and bugs.

The Oracle

Expat
Daps
Reppin
the world
THAT’S exactly why I said what I said. I’ve seen some electrical work that looks like shyt but since I don’t know much about electrical work I don’t really know how to clean that up. It’s like me walking up to a job site and I know exactly what the previous dikk head did and I know how to fix it and clean it up and clean up the previous worker’s mess. I’m not on the level where I can do that for electrical work but im happy as hell that an experience electrician can confirm to me that most shytty electricians don’t know how to run wires. THATS WHY I want to learn that shyt. Me cleaning up the mess just means more money for me
union guys usually run shyt to code. i ran shyt to code when doing private work because the inspector has to sign off. he must be talking about non-permit work.

The Oracle

Expat
Daps
Reppin
the world
Yeah. Just today I had to walk in an attic above an auditorium. Carefully walking on planks. One false step and you going through that ceiling. It's not unusual to find rats and birds up there. Then I had to crawl thru a crawl space that's about 2.5 feet high and wide. It was like 100 feet in with all types of turns. The floor was littered with rocks, nails, sand and bugs.
I know the feel. :therethere:

Glad to be done with that. I fell right through a ceiling my first year. walked it off, drove to the store, got some drywall and a can of that ceiling shyt. good as new :smoker:

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens

There's several issues when it comes to cleaning up after somebody. For starters

Can you even discontinue power so you can reroute the wires? You're not turning off power to a switch that's feeding a hospital wing

If you can discontinue power, is there enough slack on the wires to reroute them? These electricians ain't leaving extra copper in the ceiling for anybody. That takes time and money

Are the wires labeled?
Do you know where they're coming from and where they're going?
Have they been spliced?