Do the Right Thing 25th Anniversary

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
how is it overrated?

What it did well was show how all the different racial groups interacted with one another in the community, and how they stereotyped one another.

Other than that I think people want to remember it more for the NY nostalgia, as a bubble that captured the times. It didnt go deeper than just surface racism we've seen over and over in movies.

It didn't really make sense to me that a black dude would walk into that pizzeria and expect an Italian dude to change shyt around in his place of business. Sal's son was an a$$hole, but Sal himself seemed to have respect for black folks, and I'm not just saying that because he was serving them food.

Then the police kill Radio Raheem and the hood decides to riot and burn down Sal's...the anger seemed misdirected.

Its not a movie I wanted to rewatch. I just think its shallow.

Daps
What it did well was show how all the different racial groups interacted with one another in the community, and how they stereotyped one another.

Other than that I think people want to remember it more for the NY nostalgia, as a bubble that captured the times. It didnt go deeper than just surface racism we've seen over and over in movies.

It didn't really make sense to me that a black dude would walk into that pizzeria and expect an Italian dude to change shyt around in his place of business. Sal's son was an a$$hole, but Sal himself seemed to have respect for black folks, and I'm not just saying that because he was serving them food.

Then the police kill Radio Raheem and the hood decides to riot and burn down Sal's...the anger seemed misdirected.

Its not a movie I wanted to rewatch. I just think its shallow.

Ehhh, that's kinda the point.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Breh you need to watch it ASAP. I know there are plenty of torrents out there or you could just cop it to stream it because it needs to be seen. It doesn't go for the easy portrait of race that one group is wrong and the other is right...it says that it's a very complicated issue and each side is at fault for certain things and it questions what is the "right" thing to do when faced with racial adversity? What's the right thing to do when you're on the receiving end, the person throwing the hate out, or when you see people have to deal with it? Is it violence? Well that violence will more than likely beget more violence so now what?
Don't know how you haven't seen this. Easily one of the best Black movies of all time. And maybe a top 150 in cinema history.
Get on that ASAP! Classic film that touched on issues that still go on today!

:yeshrug: I hear what y'all saying but in terms of black movies from the 90's/early 80's that I need to see, this ain't a high priority. In fact Spike Lee movies like "Jungle Fever", "Clockers", & "He Got Game" are a higher priority for me.

:whoo: But all the pics in this thread are peaking my interest more in this movie.

EDIT::damn: I just looked through Spike Lee's filmography on Wikipedia & realized the ONLY Spike Lee-DIRECTED movies I have seen are "Inside Man" and "The Original Kings of Comedy". I really need to sit down & watch all his classics.

:heh: I always thought "White Men Can't Jump" was a Spike Lee joint, so I guess that doesn't count.

Last edited:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
:yeshrug: I hear what y'all saying but in terms of black movies from the 90's/early 80's that I need to see, this ain't a high priority. In fact Spike Lee movies like "Jungle Fever", "Clockers", & "He Got Game" are a higher priority for me.

:whoo: But all the pics in this thread are peaking my interest more in this movie.

EDIT::damn: I just looked through Spike Lee's filmography on Wikipedia & realized the ONLY Spike Lee-DIRECTED movies I have seen are "Inside Man" and "The Original Kings of Comedy". I really need to sit down & watch all his classics.

:heh: I always thought "White Men Can't Jump" was a Spike Lee joint, so I guess that doesn't count.
You've never seen Malcolm X?

You've never seen Do the Right Thing?

You've never seen Clockers?

:wow:

Daps

Breh, you're pouring jelly on yourself something SERIOUS. :wow:

Do the Right thing, jungle fever, mo better blues, school daze, Malcolm x, Crooklyn, Clockers....breh, Spike was on an incredible run back then.

You need to get on it

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Breh, you're pouring jelly on yourself something SERIOUS. :wow:

Do the Right thing, jungle fever, mo better blues, school daze, Malcolm x, Crooklyn, Clockers....breh, Spike was on an incredible run back then.

You need to get on it

Even more Jelly because he thought White Men Can't Jump was a Spike Lee joint and he's missed out on the classics. So much jelly..one might be inclined to say he's not ready for that amount of jelly