Do people still think VR is the future?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I dont think VR outside of Arcades (which are dead) and small stand alones is really the future of gaming. I never have, I can't think of any situations where I'd want to play a full game in VR over just normally.

AR on the other hand I think has huge potential

ranchero26

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont think VR outside of Arcades (which are dead) and small stand alones is really the future of gaming. I never have, I can't think of any situations where I'd want to play a full game in VR over just normally.

AR on the other hand I think has huge potential

I agree with you. I think it comes down to what people grew up with. Most older people arent going to want to try to get in to VR. Me personally i just wanna sit back with a controller. But the ipad gen kids coming up now i see getting in to it which can be seen as a positive as VR requires you to move.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I can't see it replacing the traditional way we view content.
It'll pretty much be what it is today: a fun alternative.
When VR was announced I criticized it a lot on here and got a lot of backlash for it.
After having used VR extensively, I'm more optimistic about it, but I feel the same as I did before regarding whether or not it will be the standard.
I think traditional gaming will continue to be sitting on a couch, with a controller in hand, and a standard TV.
If anything, I think there's room for glasses-less 3D images, but that is still a long way off and there doesn't seem to be a focus on it right now.

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What is AR?

Anyways, I never thought it would replace traditional gaming. I think it can be a whole lot bigger and more successful though. Not sure what Sony's VR numbers are, but I'm sure they're doing okay, seeing as they are still supporting it.

Augmented reality - Wikipedia

basically It would be like pokemon go or anything that used a mixture of computer and real life stuff.

I guess I feel like suiting up to play a VR game is not really the experience I'd ever really be looking forward. Nor would most of the current generation I dont think.

The people whom I know have tried it say that it's amazing. That's about three people. Me personally VR gives me motion sickness. That being said, it will catch on but not right now.

I think its amazing, I haven't played any PSvr stuff but I have played some of the samsung and OR and the OR blew me away in some instances. It's scary to think that someday in the future an entire game could be you in a world immersed in VR.

I agree with you. I think it comes down to what people grew up with. Most older people arent going to want to try to get in to VR. Me personally i just wanna sit back with a controller. But the ipad gen kids coming up now i see getting in to it which can be seen as a positive as VR requires you to move.

Good point, I agree also. I do think that the ipad babies will be much more receptive to VR than most 2k babies (crazy that I'm using 2k babies as examples:flabbynsick:)

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I can't see it replacing the traditional way we view content.
It'll pretty much be what it is today: a fun alternative.
When VR was announced I was criticized it a lot on here and got a lot of backlash for it.
After having used VR extensively, I'm more optimistic about it, but I feel the same as I did before regarding whether or not it will be the standard.
I think traditional gaming will continue to be sitting on a couch, with a controller in hand, and a standard TV.
If anything, I think there's room for glasses-less 3D images, but that is still a long way off and there doesn't seem to be a focus on it right now.
Is this some spanish grammar leaking onto English here? :lolbron:
This Spanish speaking lady at my job emailed saying something like that on some "I was contacted the help desk..

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My favorite VR experience wasn't really a game at all, but the scale and immersion was amazing.

I really felt like I was there, it was freaky. To me once I start having to flail around with accessories my brain instantly separates real and fake. Mostly I don't like having something strapped to my face...

Anyway the VR experience is super dope... but like most have said the gaming just doesn't do it for me.

Last edited:
Daps
the tech has to be miniaturized further. im talking no setting up any kind of sensors in a room, no wires everything has to be contained in a set of glasses or helmet