Do Black People Do Buddhism?

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nope we're too angry and emotional a people to gravitate towards something that actually works, is logical and would actually benefit us

Can we quantify that?:patrice:

If we look at the wealthiest or even most generally successful nations on Earth we don’t find Buhdist nations. You are more likely to find Abrahamic or native folk religions like Shintoism and whatever weirdness China practices.:manny:

I honestly think black people (domestically and on the continent) are doing better than all the nations which overwhelmingly practice Buhdism by percentage.
  • Cambodia (96%)
  • Thailand. (93%)
  • Myanmar. (87%)
  • Bhutan. (74%)
  • Sri Lanka. (69%)
  • Laos (66%)

Most of these nations are not what you’d consider “success stories”. :hubie:

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
Can we quantify that?:patrice:

If we look at the wealthiest or even most generally successful nations on Earth we don’t find Buhdist nations. You are more likely to find Abrahamic or native folk religions like Shintoism and whatever weirdness China practices.:manny:

I honestly think black people (domestically and on the continent) are doing better than all the nations that overwhelmingly practice Buhdism by percentage.
  • Cambodia (96%)
  • Thailand. (93%)
  • Myanmar. (87%)
  • Sri Lanka. (69%)
  • Laos (66%)

Most of these nations are not what you’d consider “success stories”. :hubie:
The places with the highest reported levels of happiness and low crime rate tend to be non religious

and Buddhism, while loosely religious (with often alot of woo woo type stuff if u chose to follow it literally) is more so a philosophy/science of the mind and there are no real rules to obey or deities u must please to avoid hell

its just a structure of ideas to help you avoid ....misery, if u so choose to follow them. Your own wants and desires are the makings of your own misery. There's nothing religious about that at its core. Its just practical common sense. And at its very core thats what Buddhism is.

so yeah, I lump Buddhism into the non religious/atheist category, as would prominent atheist Sam Harris and others would.

Atheist who meditate is what I call them.

hes-right-you-know-gif-3.gif

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The places with the highest reported levels of happiness and low crime rate tend to be non religious

and Buddhism, while loosely religious (with often alot of woo woo type stuff if u chose to follow it literally) is more so a philosophy/science of the mind and there are no real rules to obey or deities u must please to avoid hell

its just a structure of ideas to help you avoid ....misery, if u so choose to follow them. Your own wants and desires are the makings of your own misery. There's nothing religious about that at its core. Its just practical common sense. And at its very core thats what Buddhism is.

so yeah, I lump Buddhism into the non religious/atheist category, as would prominent atheist Sam Harris and others would.

So, were you saying that black folk should become atheist/non-religious then?:patrice:

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
I have a dharma wheel tatt'd on my arm.

now artists like jhene aiko have them. but i got mine in 2004. in other words i did it first :manny:

i try my hardest to follow the eightfold path doe. makes far more sense than that mickey mouse clown ass 10 commandment shyt. have a look yourself.

• Dap
Reactions: Dad

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
I have a dharma wheel tatt'd on my arm.

now artists like jhene aiko have them. but i got mine in 2004. in other words i did it first :manny:

i try my hardest to follow the eightfold path doe.
Is there a specific form of Buddhism you follow? I remember reading a book on Nichiren Buddhism in the Navy Library some years back it was interesting but Dharamic based beliefs make zero sense to me. Or is it more of a tattoo and social belief from you if you don't mind me asking. Sidebar real quick too while we're discussing Dharma. I never understood how in the Bhagavad Gita Krishna created the caste hierarchy. Or in Tibet, you had a priest class ruling over the serfs saying you were born as a serf because of past life karma.
makes far more sense than that mickey mouse clown ass 10 commandment shyt. have a look yourself.
Ehhh

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
Is there a specific form of Buddhism you follow? I remember reading a book on Nichiren Buddhism in the Navy Library some years back it was interesting but Dharamic based beliefs make zero sense to me. Or is it more of a tattoo and social belief from you if you don't mind me asking. Sidebar real quick too while we're discussing Dharma. I never understood how in the Bhagavad Gita Krishna created the caste hierarchy. Or in Tibet, you had a priest class ruling over the serfs saying you were born as a serf because of past life karma.

Ehhh
*darius voice from atlanta* nah just more of a symbolic thing as ive been living in the east for so long. i thought the image and meaning was cool. i put it on me as a reminder of how i should live my life. sometimes i get out of control, then i just look at my arm and go 'oh yea' theres no deep meaning really.

im not religious. im a pantheist.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
*darius voice from atlanta* nah just more of a symbolic thing as ive been living in the east for so long. i thought the image and meaning was cool. i put it on me as a reminder of how i should live my life. sometimes i get out of control, then i just look at my arm and go 'oh yea' theres no deep meaning really.

im not religious. im a pantheist.
That's what up I had a homegirl growing up she was kinda the same but she had the wheel, Ohm symbol, and "flower of life" tatt'd on her. She claimed to like Buddhism but she was really like more so into New Age spirituality and being a free spirit. That ass was SUPER fat though dawg.

• Dap
Reactions: b_b

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
That's what up I had a homegirl growing up she was kinda the same but she had the wheel
yea mean the dharma wheel? i have it. theres a few black folks with it. jhene aiko comes to mind first, theres others tho but i cant even remember off the top. my girl usually points it out "aint that your wheel' lol.

but yea its more of a free spirit type thing. i got my shyt yeaaaaaaars ago, i got my shyt before the internet was even popping or it was a thing. it was just something personal ....like i said more of a personal reminder of how i should live. i dont always live that way but since its on me ....it reminds me. and it does help ...like a lot.

rs_1080x1350-180613135113-1080x1350-Jhene-Aiko-Addidas-Ocean-EVent.jpg

IVX8brD-5dfYJUiYNrbnpye8z6CqDcsboCOmQFG4lYrynupP1PE-fFcsF5tkov7jWfWOBafIgidbDLu5dHuIaIWQHrsXLiXvCPuVjaqwr2-LVEIoUmOokrTm0tOt4eEithoaIeCzh4MI

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
but yea im not a buddhist. i dont believe in religion. i respect a lot of various ideology tho.
rG9UlLx.jpg

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
yea mean the dharma wheel?
Yup. The wheel of Dharma or Dhammacakka/Dharma Chakra. The context of the whole conversation. Dharma.
i have it.
That why I brought up my homegirl she was mixed black and white.
my girl usually points it out "aint that your wheel' lol.
I heard actual devout buddhist who actually go to temples and to pray and meditate refer to it simply as "the wheel" colloquially because most likely the average westerner is not going to confuse it with the Sudarshana chakra which is also depicted as a wheel but to my knowledge not in any sense as it relates to Buddhism mainly Hinduism. In the Navy it's a few buddhist.

chakra-new1.jpg

but yea its more of a free spirit type thing.
That's what up man. I read up on it and talked to actual practitioners and it's not for me personally but more power to the devotees and free-spirited buddhist.

• Dap
Reactions: Dad

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
Yup. The wheel of Dharma or Dhammacakka/Dharma Chakra. The context of the whole conversation. Dharma.

That why I brought up my homegirl she was mixed black and white.

I heard actual devout buddhist who actually go to temples and to pray and meditate refer to it simply as "the wheel" colloquially because most likely the average westerner is not going to confuse it with the Sudarshana chakra which is also depicted as a wheel but to my knowledge not in any sense as it relates to Buddhism mainly Hinduism. In the Navy it's a few buddhist.

chakra-new1.jpg

That's what up man. I read up on it and talked to actual practitioners and it's not for me personally but more power to the devotees and free-spirited buddhist.
thats whats up breh.

good convo. rep.