Disappointment Blvd. - (A24) Joaquin Phoenix, directed by Ari Aster (Heriditary, Midsommar)

Black Excellence

All Star
Daps
Got my ticket for next Tuesday, don’t care about the reviews for this his films are incredibly divisive.

I remember walking out of Hereditary and loving it and hearing a a couple behind me say how terrible it was.

Any film him or Wes Anderson put out I’m watching regardless.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Will write some more later. It is brilliant, it's also easily 45 minutes too long.

All his movies tend to be over indulgent, and this is no exception. There's a lot to admire though. It's one of the more impressive movies I have seen in last year or so, for a lot of reasons, but it;s also, mostly due to the running times, not nearly as far as Scream 6 or Air, with a tighter edit, and less of the Mom stuff, I would have loved every second.

it is still really really good. Can't believe he got to do this movie, actually.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Just going to list parts/scenes/moment I loved:

-The first 5 minutes establish a very conventional world, the dress, the vaguely if questionably competent therapist, the nod to overperscribing, the bland but nice enough office, even the creak on the floors,

-Then the contrast to the nightmarish city he faces outside, the stabbings, killings, tattooed gang members, hoardes of rabid homeless (parts of my city look like this lol)

-The anxiety spiral of his life/day, all the mundane things of everyday modern life that we coexist in a state of heightened anxiety around, missing a flight, the internet connection not working, the screen crack on his labtop, voice mail being full, the disconnect of the modern world and it's coldness (shown in real life by the uncompromising store owner)

-The googling of something normal, and the overwhelmingly ineffective search results that send you further into panic, that is 100% on point

-terror of the man in his bathtub

-The news media satire was excellent

-showcase of extreme anxiety in scenarios like being naked in front of strangers (fear of vulnerability) and overwrought fears of violence (being stabbed to death)

-Nathan Lane as some kind of demented everyday/upper middle class "Hey there BUD" American, hilarious performance

-The veteran living in the trailer killed me every time

-The daughter! I have said for a while that the scariest people to me are like teenage girls, with their Kardashian style phone posture, and hyper awareness and short fuses, I stay the fukk away, the most they'll get from me is like a nod

-The blunt scene spoke so much to parts of my adolescence, being way too high and panicked, before people knew about strains and all that, just SMOKED THE fukk out in the backseat of someone parent's car and spiraling

-Even the design of the house, the odd interior, imposing layout, but almost luxury, and the idyllic but very modest exterior, gave it a very dreamscape feel

-The Always Be My Baby scene, had the feel of a real sex dream, but some of the intimacies and awkwardness of actual sex, (starting the song over LOL) and some weird pyscho babble shyt thrown in there too about orgasming and dying (the French call an orgasm, the little death)

There's no way I can deny that it's too long, and too much weirdo Mom stuff, I would have cut like 40 minutes, and had a two hour masterpiece of anxiety, modern life, and some family dynamic, but it's still brilliant. And very much owes something to After Hours

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Just saw this today.. and :wow:

Lotta shyt I was not expecting

I'm wondering was the woman in the mask who was detailing his potential life his mom?

Was one of the only four people in the theater, so I don't expect this to still be showing next friday.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Hour in and I'm anticipating all the weird shyt y’all are mentioning. I can’t hang in for another 2 hours.

A24 is something else, tho