Disappointment Blvd. - (A24) Joaquin Phoenix, directed by Ari Aster (Heriditary, Midsommar)

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Wasn't really thinking of seeing this, though I really enjoyed his first two features, but comparisons to After Hours will probably compel me to watch in theaters. That's a favorite of mine, for it's sense of style, lower Manhattan in the 80's, the fateful/neverending night sort of themes. Spent a lot of nights in a similar manner, 4:00 AM parties and after parties, in a taxi being driven around the city.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
This is the perfect movie to take your mother to on May 14th. No but seriously, please don’t do that. :whoa:

Had a blast with this. Dude got me feeling dumb by the end and I’m not even mad. Most of the audience had stayed behind until the credits finished with the same thought as me probably: “What the fukk did I just watch?” Reminded me of the times I’d encounter an author whose prose is challenging to take in immediately. One part of me is debating on putting the book down while another part of me wants to keep going because the direction is that damn interesting. Same energy here.

It’s overlong and I could’ve sworn there were 3-4 movies shoved into the runtime, but I enjoyed my time on Beau’s journey as weird as it got. Genre-wise, the movie had a little bit of everything. Felt like Ari stuffed as much as he could into this because he knows he probably won’t be getting this budget again for a while. :pachaha:

That first act high was amazing. If there was one way for me to describe it…it felt like an anxiety attack version of those 5 Gum commercials. The bit with the family later on had me dozing off and on though. I’ll definitely need a second viewing and a plethora of analysis videos to get a better understanding on what I just saw. Hereditary remains his masterpiece still.

I appreciated the moments when Ari dipped into his horror bag. Guy hanging on for dear life on the ceiling, the open casket with Beau’s “mom” :mjlol:, the giant penis and set of testicles creeping away in the corner of that dark attic…uh… :dahell: :mindblown:

Parker Posey showing off the goods was a welcomed surprise. :leon:

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
This is the perfect movie to take your mother to on May 14th. No but seriously, please don’t do that. :whoa:

Had a blast with this. Dude got me feeling dumb by the end and I’m not even mad. Most of the audience had stayed behind until the credits finished with the same thought as me probably: “What the fukk did I just watch?” Reminded me of the times I’d encounter an author whose prose is challenging to take in immediately. One part of me is debating on putting the book down while another part of me wants to keep going because the direction is that damn interesting. Same energy here.

It’s overlong and I could’ve sworn there were 3-4 movies shoved into the runtime, but I enjoyed my time on Beau’s journey as weird as it got. Genre-wise, the movie had a little bit of everything. Felt like Ari stuffed as much as he could into this because he knows he probably won’t be getting this budget again for a while. :pachaha:

That first act high was amazing. If there was one way for me to describe it…it felt like an anxiety attack version of those 5 Gum commercials. The bit with the family later on had me dozing off and on though. I’ll definitely need a second viewing and a plethora of analysis videos to get a better understanding on what I just saw. Hereditary remains his masterpiece still.

I appreciated the moments when Ari dipped into his horror bag. Guy hanging on for dear life on the ceiling, the open casket with Beau’s “mom” :mjlol:, the giant penis and set of testicles creeping away in the corner of that dark attic…uh… :dahell: :mindblown:

Parker Posey showing off the goods was a welcomed surprise. :leon:

Any movie where you are dozing off is a bad sign....period

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
I can honestly say I've never seen a movie like this before. Its insanity will definitely not be for everyone lol. But whether you love it or hate it (and I'm sure a lot will hate it), you at least have to give it credit for being something very different from most other movies.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
I don't know what to think. Overall I liked it. Movie was a fukking trip. I'm too dumb to understand what means what or what is supposed to represent this or that. Really liked the directing though.

Thief's Theme

All Star
Daps
yeah it was a little messy

first 30 minutes was the best part for me (and based on his short film: Beau)

just as I thought, this one isn't for casual movie-goers

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Is this horror
It felt like a surrealist character dramedy to me. Movie was in a similar vein as a Synedoche, New York. There are horror elements sprinkled in throughout, but you may want to prepare yourself if you’re going in expecting something as genre focused like a Hereditary or Midsommar. It’s a mixing bowl compared to those two.