Did Game of Thrones prove that people don’t like unconventional endings?

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Aria jumping out the tree and 1 shotting the NK pretty much killed the show. Breh was built up as the GOT Thanos for 8 seasons and got killed by a kid with a dagger.

:hhh:

GOT ended so poorly , I STILL have not watched the final episode. I was a die hard fan, rewatched seasons 1-4 multiple times and tried hard to keep the faith for the show.

Still have not seen the finale. The water cooler and social media buzz made it clear it was a disaster.

:unimpressed:

I dont even rewatch the show anymore, i think it was one of the biggest let downs of television of all time. I even used to watch Lost, and that show at least had to decency to die fast . I remember watching the final season premier and i was like ya,,.. this is dead, i have no reason to see anymore.

:pacspit:

I coulda wrote that season better,,, shows most people in Hollywood behind the scenes dont deserve their position.
I have no desire to rewatch the show ..shyt got ruined...GOT isn't even talked about anymore...if it is it's to shyt on the finale and final season.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OP came in with the :cape:and pretty much everyone in the thread hit him with the

CloudySatisfiedGuineafowl.webp

:mjlol:

And the ending wasn't unconventional. It was terribly written, so Benioff and Weiss could run off and get their Star Wars and Confederate checks.

But they got fired from both jobs and then ducked the fade with furious fans at Comic-Con. :dead:

Nah. More like the average Coli poster is stupid. But I’m not about to argue with idiots who haven’t even read the books or are true fans. I know what people are saying on Reddit, Asoiaf forums and YouTube and one of the loudest complaints is the show/books kept trying to subvert tropes to the point of the story ending on a bad note. Which is essentially what you’re dumb ass is saying. Yall can delete this thread :yeshrug:

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People hate it because that finale was trash and the Nightking didn't do nearly enough damage for 8 seasons of gotdamn body army assembling :hhh:

Why is it trash though? I feel like y’all don’t understand what the word unconventional means. Explain what you would’ve done to fix it. If your fix is to add a bunch of conventional ideas, you’re proving my point.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Poster: “People like unconventional ideas just fine. The writing was just trash.”

**** then goes on to list very conventional ideas such as Jon Snow, the chosen one of the story, fighting the big great evil of the story :dead: ***

I swear the Coli is retarded.

No amount of writing would’ve changed the fact of people not liking Jon Snow not fighting the Night King (unconventional) or Jon Snow not becoming anything important (unconventional) or Jamie choosing to abandon his redemption arc (unconventional) or Bran becoming King (unconventional) or Dany, the heroine of the story, choosing to burn down King’s Landing (unconventional). They could’ve had 10 seasons and GRRM himself writing it to perfection and it still wouldn’t have worked and people would’ve still been upset because it’s rejecting everything we expect in a fantasy story. All of these decisions are like if Harry chose to become Voldemort’s heir or if Katniss got exiled to the wilderness away from civilization for killing President Coin or if Frodo fell to the ring’s power and went evil. We eventually expect a good ending. That unconventional stuff doesn’t work.

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
i don't believe George. i believe that was the ending but they rushed the shyt out of it and added things that made it terrible. But i do believe she's setup to go mad.

it probably is the ending but needed another season to flesh it all out that’s the issue imo not the choice

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
i don't believe George. i believe that was the ending but they rushed the shyt out of it and added things that made it terrible. But i do believe she's setup to go mad.
George left the show a few seasons before it ended. He didn't like where the producers were taking it.
Also there is no Night King in the books. There's also a prophecy that's never mentioned in the show.

I have no doubt the show went a different route. George is just kind of in a limbo because he has to make the best ending ever to even make us remotely happy.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Too soon my guy.
Still too soon.
Money talks, the show runners took a bag to go make some star wars trash that was trash anyway.
Everybody, HBO, you, me, the entire world begged them 2 pasty f*** for 3 more seasons or more but no. Douche and douche decided to be douches and ruined the GOAT tv show and made it not GOAT anymore.

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
I think they were trying to subvert the trope of the kid born into nothing finding out he was actually important, becoming the King and defeating the Big Bad. So they had his sister kill the villain, had his brother become king and made it so at the end of the story his birthright to the throne meant nothing as he ended up with the Wildings, which is like going to live with Eskimos. Shyt was trash :manny:

I’ve read theories that the reason why Jon’s ending is so wack is because he’s supposed to die for real in the books. He comes back to life, leads Westeros past the Night King but Faegon (the fake prince) kills Jon (the real prince) and Faegon…having taken Cersei’s place in the book as the King of Westeros…fights a pissed off Dany in a “Dance of Dragons” scenario. Im assuming somehow Dany wins but still goes mad with Jon dying. And barbecues King’s Landing. Then Bran becomes King. That’s what the hardcore book readers think. But because Faegon was never introduced, an important character is missing :manny:
Haven’t read this theory before :ohhh:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It proved people don’t like shytTY endings

There were multiple ways in which the actual endgame of GOT (Dany’s death by Jon Snow and Bran as King) could have been handled while making it satisfying. The showrunners instead chose to rush the shyt and end it with a misogynistic slant that made NO sense whatsoever and reduced some of the craftiest, smartest characters to simps and some of the bravest, noblest characters to ineffectual nobodies.

It was just a trash way to treat the material.

Seasons 7 and 8 should have been FULL ten episode seasons, that way you could show Dany’s descent into madness as a circumstance of all of her past trauma ( as well as losing her dragons, her only “children” so to speak) instead of it being solely because she couldn’t ride her nephew’s dikk.

Full seasons also would have allowed Jon and Dany to develop some actual CHEMISTRY. It would have given Tyrion more to do than pine after Dany (a TERRIBLE decision on the writers) and it would have given them time to come up with a better motivation for the White Walkers than just wanting a “long night”.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Haven’t read this theory before :ohhh:

Book readers were theorizing like crazy and it all meant nothing :heh:

They should have brought in Faegon. I get they didn't want to do 10 seasons but, they could have met in the middle and did 9 so they could add everything in. Faegon's character is there because he's supposed to be what helps drive Dany mad, that Westeros would rally behind a fake Targaryen because he's a man and looks the part while casting her, the real Targ, aside. You add in him killing Missandei and King's Landing is barbecue chicken. Dany was supposed to be the Shiv Roy of Westeros. Her burning down everything would have made much more sense with Faegon. They gave his story line to Cersei.

faegon.png