Did Barack Obama Fail the NBA Players That Looked to Him for Advice?

IGSaint12

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That is not quite it.
The US governmental system is designed to slow rapid progress, the methods of enacting change, outside of every single branch being packed with like-minded vanguardists - are incredibly slow and take years to even enact, and even longer for the actual change to come about.

Popular public dissent - directed toward different areas of the government speed things up rapidly - the public pressure shifts the power into the hands of the public away from the power brokers, so to speak. It is insane to think that voting could possibly move in the same direction as a protest - you vote every 2-4 years - unless you're a person that attends local council and board meetings. But labor stoppages, large scale marches, rioting, etc. all grease the wheel and can do things like rapidly establish labor rights, education rights, end de facto segregation, force municipalities to shift funding, end entire non-enumerated Congressional powers, etc.

Did you read all of my post? I said protesting AND voting is the way for forward for social justice. Try telling black folks from the 50s that their vote doesn't matter and they shouldn't care. They would slap the fukk out of you as they go to the polls. It is our duty as minorities to vote for candidates who at least acknowledge african american issues vs candidates who are virulent racist and wouldn't care if you got lynched.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Did you read all of my post? I said protesting AND voting is the way for forward for social justice. Try telling black folks from the 50s that their vote doesn't matter and they shouldn't care. They would slap the fukk out of you as they go to the polls. It is our duty as minorities to vote for candidates who at least acknowledge african american issues vs candidates who are virulent racist and wouldn't care if you got lynched.
I've had the conversation with my parents and grandparents before - voting *can* provide some relief - but its foolish to think it is the way forward in social justice.
Plenty of Black people around the US are well-aware their votes - whether due to gerrymandering or explicit voter suppression - don't matter. That's different from "not caring." I said nothing of the kind.

As a person who has voted every single election, goes to city council meetings, submits testimony to the State Congress, and got teargassed and pepper-sprayed more than once over the past few months while in the streets protesting - I daresay my vantage point is not theoretical - I'm purely praxis only.

IGSaint12

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've had the conversation with my parents and grandparents before - voting *can* provide some relief - but its foolish to think it is the way forward in social justice.
Plenty of Black people around the US are well-aware their votes - whether due to gerrymandering or explicit voter suppression - don't matter. That's different from "not caring." I said nothing of the kind.

As a person who has voted every single election, goes to city council meetings, submits testimony to the State Congress, and got teargassed and pepper-sprayed more than once over the past few months while in the streets protesting - I daresay my vantage point is not theoretical - I'm purely praxis only.

And as I said theorizing that voting doesn't matter while protesting does is idiotic. It's based on faulty logic that the politicians you didn't vote for and that don't care about you will somehow suddenly be beholden to what you're protesting for. Sure there is a chance but it's far lesser chance that what you're protesting for will matter to these politicians because you didn't vote for them. They are beholden to their voters and no one else. So I don't see the logic of voting is not apart of the solution. You;re basically leaving it up to other people who don't share your interests and might even be against what you're protesting to enact change. Good luck with that.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
And as I said theorizing that voting doesn't matter while protesting does is idiotic. It's based on faulty logic that the politicians you didn't vote for and that don't care about you will somehow suddenly be beholden to what you're protesting for. Sure there is a chance but it's far lesser chance that what you're protesting for will matter to these politicians because you didn't vote for them. They are beholden to their voters and no one else. So I don't see the logic of voting is not apart of the solution. You;re basically leaving it up to other people who don't share your interests and might even be against what you're protesting to enact change. Good luck with that.
You're missing the larger point I'm making: its both a historical one and a practical one. The issue is that what is being protested "for" is not an issue within the two-party realm, nor is it one of "agency" between the party-constituents and the elected representative.

What we are protesting "for" does not matter to the Democrats we put in place, nor does it matter to the Republicans we oppose. Neither of them is ideologically on our side, otherwise they would be working to enact our wishes prior to the need for any form of protest. The quick rebuke from both of the major parties for basic things like universal healthcare and the reallocation of police funding to social services shows that it isn't "voting" along that can do anything to bring this change.

By participating in the electoral process, we are leaving it up to people who do not share our interests or agree with what we're protesting for. Because neither of the parties is on board. Either you have literally missed the past 50 years of mass-mobilization alongside voting - which led to virtually none of the grievances being effectively answered - or you aren't aware of them at all and thing time simply brings progress.

Voting to prevent something worse is not the same thing as voting to get a sympathetic ear, or voting for progress.

IGSaint12

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're missing the larger point I'm making: its both a historical one and a practical one. The issue is that what is being protested "for" is not an issue within the two-party realm, nor is it one of "agency" between the party-constituents and the elected representative.

What we are protesting "for" does not matter to the Democrats we put in place, nor does it matter to the Republicans we oppose. Neither of them is ideologically on our side, otherwise they would be working to enact our wishes prior to the need for any form of protest. The quick rebuke from both of the major parties for basic things like universal healthcare and the reallocation of police funding to social services shows that it isn't "voting" along that can do anything to bring this change.

By participating in the electoral process, we are leaving it up to people who do not share our interests or agree with what we're protesting for. Because neither of the parties is on board. Either you have literally missed the past 50 years of mass-mobilization alongside voting - which led to virtually none of the grievances being effectively answered - or you aren't aware of them at all and thing time simply brings progress.

Voting to prevent something worse is not the same thing as voting to get a sympathetic ear, or voting for progress.

You ever heard of voting for politicians that want what you want. that care for the issues you care about? Your argument basically boils down to nothing has changed over the last 50 years to a satisfactory level for you so you should throw up your hands and give up. You ignore politicians like AOC, Illhan, Warren, etc all of who want some of the same things you want. If people had taken your advice then truly things would not have changed because the old guard politicians would still be in congress that the new wave are beating right now. There's a reason why the Democratic establishment is sometimes working against the new progressives in the party. But all of that doesn't happen if you just give up. And by saying this "By participating in the electoral process, we are leaving it up to people who do not share our interests or agree with what we're protesting for" you have truly lost me. Nothing changes by not voting, absolutely nothing. You might as well turn your ass over and warm up some lube because it's other people who will make the decision over your life, over your job, over your money and you won't have any say about that because you chose not to vote. As for voting to prevent something worse, do you actually think that is not something worth voting for? How privileged do you have to be to think people being worse off, your community having their rights taken away or killed is not something worth voting against.? Just warm up that lube and let someone else fukk you up your ass then, that is how your argument sounds in my head. The least I could do as a voter is if there is only the option between the status quo and something worse is to say "NO". I'm not gonna be fine with my community being worse off. If that doesn't affect you at an emotional level then I can't convince you of anything and we should just leave it at that.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew

EFFING THANK YOU.

Problematic Pat

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
The candidate that proudly said his name is on every piece of crime legislation that was passed??

Travelnomad

Banned
Daps
People in here don't even know how government works. They think the executive branch makes laws. Go fukking educate yourself

Biden been in the government for 40 plus years even had a few bills passed that were all about locking black people up . Biden set up the system for what it is now ( what I’m trying to tell you is that ) this shyt started somewhere . It didn’t just pop out of nowhere .