Did 2022 spoil horror fans?

BBG

2014-2024
Daps
2022 was the greatest year for horror this millennium.

I'm 32, and horror has been my favorite genre since I saw the original From Dusk Till Dawn at home with my dad at like 6-7 years old. I cannot recall a year with consistent heat like 2022 had. Most years we'll be lucky to get two great horror films, last year I recall at least five. I was hoping that was the start of a new era of great horror, but it seems this year we've gone back to the normal and last year was just an anomaly.

Off the top of my head, I can't recall a single horror movie that moved me this year like say Barbarian, X, The Black Phone, or to a lesser extent Terrifier 2, Pearl, and Scream. The new Evil Dead was okay I guess and so was Infinity Pool but I wouldn't put them above any of the ones I just mentioned prior.

What y'all think? Am I wrong about 2022 being the greatest year in horror film this millennium? Is 2023 not as wack as I think? I just know I was EATING last year on horror but now it seems like I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel to find some good horror to watch.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
2022 was the greatest year for horror this millennium.

I'm 32, and horror has been my favorite genre since I saw the original From Dusk Till Dawn
:patrice: I always seen that movie as more of an action movie with horror elements still a great movie thou:myman:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I haven't seen 'The Nun II' but the trailer seemed cool. That new 'Exorcist' looks dope and 'Saw X' is coming out too, I feel like I'm forgetting shyt but I think we gotta wait and see if these deliver.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
For a horror fan, if you like Scream 5, Scream 6 was at least full grade up. Also, Talk To Me, which was only ok to me, but as a horror fan, probably a must see, you mentioned Infinity Pool, to me, that was better than anything else.

Barbarian was ok, pretty small budget, didn't move me much, X, also, really light. Thought Scream 6 was more fun than all of those.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I'm like you found a love for horror around the same time by watching movies with my Dad. We watched Dusk Til Dawn too because it was on TV a lot. I didn't pay attention until there were already vampire on the screen. I remember being a kid and liking that they used Super Soakers to kill them. One of his favorites that he'd watch over and over was John Carpenter's Vampires:russ:

2022 might have been better but I don't think this year has been bad. I still think 2010-Get Out was a bad stretch, or maybe I just stopped watching horror movies then. I've watched so many horror movies this year, mainly from the 80s and 90s.

There's still some good ones that came out this year like:
Meagan
Infinity Pool
Talk to Me
Evil Dead Rise
Influencer
Renfield
Scream VI
Project Wolf Hunting (2022 SK release)
The Reading
The Blackening

There's some more that's supposed to come out later this year that I'm interested in:

Suitable Flesh
-Stars Heather Graham and Barbara Crampton(how she look the same 30 years later:dahell:) in a HP Lovecraft inspired Horror Comedy. It's produced by Brian Yuzna and written by the guy that wrote Re-Animator, From Beyond, Castle Freak, and Dagon. I watched these movies this year and I'm excited to watch this one.

No One Will Save You
-Alien Invasion-Home Invasion:ohhh: movie written and directed by the guy that wrote The Babysitter, Underwater, and Love & Monsters. This might be the one:banderas:

Thanksgiving
-Eli Roth releases the Grindhouse trailer in film form. I think this may be thanks to films like X and Terrifier. He was the it gore guy between Cabin Fever-Hostel 2 or so, idk. Hope its a return to form.

Totally Killer
-High concept teen comedy-slasher in the same vein as Freaky, The Babysitter, and Happy Death Day.

Late Night with the Devil
-1970s talk show gets interrupted with a satanic seance. This was a big hit earlier this year at festivals but they haven't released a trailer yet. I think it's getting pushed back to next year idk.

Toxic Avenger
-High budget reboot of Troma's biggest film. This is premiering at a festival tomorrow I don't know if it will be released until next year. This might be similar to Terrifier 2.

Then there's the writers and actors strike so I'm sure some stuff got pushed back into next year. I expect next year to be good if they settle the writer's and actor's strike before the New Year.

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting but I'll either be sure to post in here or the horror thread on what my favorite horror movies from this year are.

Last edited:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I'm like you found a love for horror around the same time by watching movies with my Dad. We watched Dusk Til Dawn too because it was on TV a lot. I didn't pay attention until there were already vampire on the screen. I remember being a kid and liking that they used Super Soakers to kill them. One of his favorites that he'd watch over and over was John Carpenter's Vampires:russ:

2022 might have been better but I don't think this year has been bad. I still think 2010-Get Out was a bad stretch, or maybe I just stopped watching horror movies then. I've watched so many horror movies this year, mainly from the 80s and 90s.

There's still some good ones that came out this year like:
Meagan
Infinity Pool
Talk to Me
Evil Dead Rise
Influencer
Renfield
Scream VI
Project Wolf Hunting (2022 SK release)
The Reading
The Blackening

There's some more that's supposed to come out later this year that I'm interested in:

Suitable Flesh
-Stars Heather Graham and Barbara Crampton(how she look the same 30 years later:dahell:) in a HP Lovecraft inspired Horror Comedy. It's produced by Brian Yuzna and written by the guy that wrote Re-Animator, From Beyond, Castle Freak, and Dagon. I watched these movies this year and I'm excited to watch this one.

No One Will Save You
-Alien Invasion-Home Invasion:ohhh: movie written and directed by the guy that wrote The Babysitter, Underwater, and Love & Monsters. This might be the one:banderas:

Thanksgiving
-Eli Roth releases the Grindhouse trailer in film form. I think this may be thanks to films like X and Terrifier. He was the it gore guy between Cabin Fever-Hostel 2 or so, idk. Hope its a return to form.

Totally Killer
-High concept teen comedy-slasher in the same vein as Freaky, The Babysitter, and Happy Death Day.

Late Night with the Devil
-1970s talk show gets interrupted with a satanic seance. This was a big hit earlier this year at festivals but they haven't released a trailer yet. I think it's getting pushed back to next year idk.

Toxic Avenger
-High budget reboot of Troma's biggest film. This is premiering at a festival tomorrow I don't know if it will be released until next year. This might be similar to Terrifier 2.

Then there's the writers and actors strike so I'm sure some stuff got pushed back into next year. I expect next year to be good if they settle the writer's and actor's strike before the New Year.

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting but I'll either be sure to post in here or the horror thread on what my favorite horror movies from this year are.

haha. John Carptenters: Vampires is such a fun movie, it's really not very good, but when I was a kid, around 12/13, I think we rented Urban Legend and Vampires on the same day when they came out at Blockbuster

and they both scared the fukk out of us as kids, think we even turned off Urban Legend and watched then next morning, late at night, no one home, glass doors all around.

When I watched Vampires years and years later, it's bad, Woods is chewing the scenery and if I remember snarling out vaguely racist remarks every other line, it's just a late 90's movie. Daniel Baldwin is in there somewhere. The woman gets beat and thrown around a lot.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
One of my favorites from last year was the Innocents. It's on shudder.