Debunking the Kobe is inefficient myth

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Somebody (cosigned by many) made a great point about Kobe's game on the NBA subreddit once.

That subreddit pretty much came to the conclusion dude is a statistical outlier/rarity. The stats are too all over the place and in numerous directions with that guy (and really in general with regards to NBA players/sports).

I can't find the post anymore, but somebody had a link breaking down how Kobe's 2005-2006 season had the single most incredible advanced statistical season of all-time. I mean, the main argument for 2005-2006 MVP Kobe is "once-in-a-lifetime advanced stats". I thought that was a good read as well.

There's simply too much hypocrisy to ever gauge an honest take at the end of the day. Plus because there's no such thing as a definitive/official "Top 10" then it don't really matter anyways: enjoy who you enjoy, label who you want to label.

Last edited:

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Kobe retired 11th in threes made

Take into account he shot roughly 45% for his career, which is in-line with guys like Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Harden, Mitch Richmond

And he shot better than AI, Vince, and T-Mac

Notice I'm focusing on guys who are scorers and shooters

Kobe played in the toughest defensive era of all time against teams who paid their best defender to be Kobe Stoppers

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Somebody (cosigned by many) made a great point about Kobe's game on the NBA subreddit once.

That subreddit pretty much came to the conclusion dude is a statistical outlier/rarity. The stats are too all over the place and in numerous directions with that guy (and really in general with regards to NBA players/sports).

I can't find the post anymore, but somebody had a link breaking down how Kobe's 2005-2006 season had the single most incredible advanced statistical season of all-time. I mean, the main argument for 2005-2006 MVP Kobe is "once-in-a-lifetime advanced stats". I thought that was a good read as well.

There's simply too much hypocrisy to ever gauge an honest take at the end of the day. Plus because there's no such thing as a definitive/official "Top 10" then it don't really matter anyways: enjoy who you enjoy, label who you want to label.

I made a similar thread on this years ago: Incredible stat that shows how great Kobe Bryant was in 2005-06 (analytics nerds get in here)

Incredible Stat Shows Just How Important Kobe Bryant Was To The Lakers

The 2005-06 season is a great example of just how much the Lakers needed Bryant in the side. During the season without Kobe Bryant, the Lakers had an offensive rating of 92.4 which is equivalent to the third worse offense in NBA history.

With Bryant on-court
, the rating was at 111.3 and had the third-best offensive rating in the league. While he was off the court, the Lakers rating was dead last in the league and had a massive 18.9 lower difference. For a comparison to show just how big of a difference this is, one of the next closest to Kobe in 2006 is LeBron James in the 2009-10 season where there was a 15.3 offensive difference.

The two teams that have a lower offensive rating than 92.4 are the 1976-77 Knicks and the 2002-03 Nuggets who won just 17 matches over the season and was led by Nene, Juwan Howard and James Posey.

So without Kobe on the court in 2005-06, the Lakers had the 3rd worst offense in NBA history. Not surprising when you consider Kwame Brown, Luke Walton, and Smush Parker were starters. But with Kobe on the court they had the 3rd best offense in the league.

That's the largest differential in offensive efficiency in NBA history by a wide margin. Kobe in 2005-06 was on some 2004 Barry Bonds shyt.

Goatpoacher

Superstar
Daps
I agree, all players should be judged based on their best seasons.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I think nuanced fans can look back on the era he played in and see that given the volume he scored at, he was above average.

The league average FG% in '04 was 44%. Even 2pt FG% was at 46%. :scust:
That 2000-2009 era was defined by iso guards, post play, slashing, lack of motion, bailout 3's, and long 2's. Ugly but that was the game. :yeshrug:

Kobe in today's league is putting up similar shooting numbers to Devin Booker on higher volume.

Last edited:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Kobe is one of my favorite players of all time, but is the critique that he's inefficient or more that he shoots a tad bit too many awkward and strongly contested long twos and as a result can be very boom or busty? :jbhmm:

Last edited:

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Kobe is only inefficient when compared to other great players like Lebron, Magic, Bird, MJ, etc…

MJ & LBJ are slashers and attempted more shots in the lane

Magic could be more selective with his shot attempts bc he was a facilitator first

Larry was 6'10 and generally had a height advantage over most SFs...great shooter nonetheless

Kobe was a jump shooter who could slash...Kobe didn't have anyone setting the table for him...most of his jumpers he had to create off the bounce in iso situations