"Death to the Pessimistic State of Mind" - Nas Voice: NYK '23 Pre-Season Thread

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Recap got delayed but is out and I’m pretty hype through the whole damned thing. Here’s the closing thoughts section where I always get to do a bit of free styling off my usual format.

I didn’t get to visit the Garden often for the 90’s Knicks of lore. That made any trips to MSG whimsical in a way that only a youngster can feel. With 20 years of attrition, I really wasn’t sure how much nostalgia tainted my memories of the Garden being magic. There were rare reminders in some of my trips later on. I’m lucky to have caught a Jamal Crawford buzzer-beater over the then champion Detroit Pistons. But a lot of other trips didn’t have quite the spirit of the past. The team wasn’t good for most of these past two decades and that left the Garden full of nihilists and boo’s…we’d even boo on draft night.

But I was at the Garden for game one of the playoffs and saw the crowd last night. How could you not? I’m pretty sure there were people in Jersey calling noise complaints because it was LIVE! This enthusiasm is something that felt like a fading memory a couple of years ago. I clung to the 90’s and told younger fans to wait for the magic to come back while hiding some doubts of my own…not any more. This is that magic. The crowd is electric and we’ve got 81-games to go! New York is basketball town, a Knicks basketball town, and we finally get to feel that rush again.

It’s one down and a myriad to go. The marathon began with its own mini-marathon and the Garden got to enjoy two extra quarters of madness just to get everyone warmed up. I couldn’t be more excited for what’s to come… maybe a pinch more when these guys start hitting their free throws. But it’s more than wins and losses, it’s the community we’ve fostered through perseverance. Every win’s a party and we’ll pick each other up after the losses. This was game one. I’ll see you for the next 81 and then some Knicks fam!

Stay tuned to KnicksFanTV.com for the latest Knicks news, rumors and recaps throughout the 2021-22 season!