Death Stranding | PS4/PS5/PC | Out Now

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
I've become extremely fascinated in trying to figure out/decode what this story is about and what the various visuals mean.

One of the Sony brehs should bless the Coli w/ a death Stranding Theories thread.

I'd feel type weird doing it - but @Kamikaze Revy @Fatboi1 @Rekkapryde :feedme:

Amazing trailers. I have my own theories and I'd love to hear the Coli's.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
http://www.ign.com/g00/articles/2017/12/11/kojima-explains-death-stranding-gameplay-and-lore?i10c.referrer=https://t.co/X4JHx5Lt1l

On Death:
Partway through the latest clip from Death Stranding, Sam (played by Norman Reedus) watches as an explosion engulfs the giant, Lovecraftian-kaiju that projects through the fog. Suddenly we see an upside-down world submerged in water, where Sam exists among the flotsam and jetsam of the universe around him.

From the sound of it, this is where Sam, and the player, go every time they die. But don’t make the mistake of calling this “game over.” When you die in Death Stranding, you’re transported to this purgatory, where you’re free to explore in first-person. Because of some mysterious “unique” abilities Sam possesses, you can wander outside of your body, recovering items among other things. As Kojima explains, “At that point, you’re not dead or alive. It’s the equivalent of that screen that says ‘Continue?’ and a counter ticking down towards zero.”
On the rain making people age:
In the most recent trailer, you might’ve noticed a mystical, unnerving rain that seems to have the ability to manipulate time. It makes plants grow and wilt the second a droplet hits them, and a human body age and deteriorate in a matter of seconds. That rain, which is not of this world, is called “Timefall,” and it is an integral part of Death Stranding’s story and lore.

So how does this affect Norman Reedus’ Sam? As Kojima explains, “Most people in the game are aware of the rain -- and well, Norman is quite unique in this regard… I think I should stop there. I’m spilling the beans.” When we asked if this Timefall had anything to do with the recurring motif of Sam crying, Kojima joked, “…the tears…that’s really only because he’s sad right now.”
Babies:
From the newest trailer, it seems like the baby is more than just a plot device. As Kojima explained, “The baby relates to game mechanics as well as the story as a whole.” It seemed like the shoulder-mounted robotic arms attached to Sam and his Corpse Disposal Team 6 pals sparked to life when that person came in possession of the baby.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
@DPresidential
Some of this pretty much sounds like my guess that in the game people can reincarnate as the baby, either preemptively, or through death.
I thought it was pretty telling when the guy shot his team mate almost nonchalantly in the head as he was being dragged away, he turned and immediately a baby in that canister was revealed that we didn't see before. Almost as if the guy pulling the trigger knew by killing his team mate he would be reborn as the baby. When the "monster" picked him he also frantically reached for his gun. I didn't see this as a moment where the character would have rather died. I saw it as a moment that the character was grasping for the gun as a way to save his own life by shooting himself in the head and "respawning/reincarnating". Maybe characters aren't completely reborn though. Maybe it's just their memories that are "injected" into a fetus. :jbhmm:
Either way, I get the feeling from the trailer that rebirth or reincarnation of some type will play a major role in the story. The manipulation of time could be a mechanic that is used to explain the babies becoming adults at an incredibly fast rate. Still way too early to tell what is going on exactly and we're dealing with Kojima, the king of confusing stories and border line straight up trolling his fan base.

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Fam...we got 3 years until this is out. I'm just going to put it on the back burner of my mind. I'm hyped though, i love weird shyt like this..just wish we were able to get another Silent Hill title

I'm playing The Evil Within 2 right now to scratch that fetish

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
That's pretty much what Kojima had said at one point. If I remember right, he had made a comment about how he wanted the game to be released alongside the 2020 Olympics. Something like that. I haven't kept up with the news on this game since then. After the Konami mess Kojima had the spot light for a minute. He announced his new company and shortly after he announced this game. IMO, he should have just stayed quiet until the project was much further along.

Man-Laughing-Funny-Gif-Image.gif

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
@DPresidential
Some of this pretty much sounds like my guess that in the game people can reincarnate as the baby, either preemptively, or through death.
I thought it was pretty telling when the guy shot his team mate almost nonchalantly in the head as he was being dragged away, he turned and immediately a baby in that canister was revealed that we didn't see before. Almost as if the guy pulling the trigger knew by killing his team mate he would be reborn as the baby. When the "monster" picked him he also frantically reached for his gun. I didn't see this as a moment where the character would have rather died. I saw it as a moment that the character was grasping for the gun as a way to save his own life by shooting himself in the head and "respawning/reincarnating". Maybe characters aren't completely reborn though. Maybe it's just their memories that are "injected" into a fetus. :jbhmm:
Either way, I get the feeling from the trailer that rebirth or reincarnation of some type will play a major role in the story. The manipulation of time could be a mechanic that is used to explain the babies becoming adults at an incredibly fast rate. Still way too early to tell what is going on exactly and we're dealing with Kojima, the king of confusing stories and border line straight up trolling his fan base.
It aint easy being this on point :whoo:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
at psx, this was one of the most talked about games cause no one knows what the shyt is about lol....it was a running joke that they even made ref to during the presentation on fri...the consensus most came to was that somehow/someway, this will tie into metal gear lol....

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
at psx, this was one of the most talked about games cause no one knows what the shyt is about lol....it was a running joke that they even made ref to during the presentation on fri...the consensus most came to was that somehow/someway, this will tie into metal gear lol....
I joked about that before saying that it would be the ultimately smack in the face to Konami if Kojima basically kept the metal gear franchise going under a different name. :mjlol:

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I actually think this is gonna tie in to P.T (Silent Hills) at least almost guarantee the game will reference or Easter egg the looping hallway