Dear Coli Experts: Beginner Fighting Questions

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
You have to learn how to punch with proper form and technique. Most of your punching power comes from your legs and hips and how you turn those. Do you want to learn boxing or MMA, because boxers throw punches differently from MMA fighters.

I'm a pretty big guy (6'2 250, I don't go below 240 ever) and I'm light as hell on my feet. I got the footwork of a lightweight and can still punch like a heavyweight, nobody ever likes sparring me. :russ:
I’m just casually curious for right now. I have someone I train with. And I wonder how they put dents in the punching bag but I just hurt my hands punching.:pachaha:Now kicking. I’m a great kicker. But punching…:hubie:

And some people are so COMPACT and clean with it. I saw somebody this morning hit that bag so hard I swear they knocked dust off off/out of it.:damn:

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Nah he not lying bro, either you have that explosiveness in your genes or you don't. Thing is a lot of people will actually never know they have that power because they don't know how to utilize it properly.

@Booksnrain contrary to popular belief, it is not as easy to knock out another fully grown human being as you think(most people don't even have the mass to throw KO punches like that), and 99 times out of 100 without the proper training you won't even get close.

I don't know

Forman wasn't explosive and hit harder than Tyson. Wilder is a hard hitters too.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
It's comes from your legs because you using your legs and twisting your hips to throw the punch/kick.
I was just watching that video @Neuromancer posted and I started thinking about swimming. It’s kinda a similar mechanism where we get the power for front crawl from rotation in our core. Not merely arm strength.

So if punches are getting power from hips and legs, it kinda makes sense. But there’s so much alignment (mental and physical) to make that connection tho…

AnotherRoute

Just another post by
Daps
Reppin
BR..O..OK...LYN
I fall into the camp some of some people are just born with the ability to hit harder.
However that doesn’t mean you can’t train it. Like mentioned before its about rotation and stance. If you are brand new to fighting get the rotation and feet placement down pact first.

Get your hand use to making contact with a pad or bag. Yes gloves protect your hand don’t mean that shyt won’t hurt.Also the practice will get your back and arms and legs use to throwing a punch its not uncommon to have hands shake or muscle spaz if you are brand new.

Also when in the trajectory of the punch you are making contact. If you are over extending or pulling your punches quickly this is will matter. Finding your range will make a difference.

Once you get comfortable with that then you start focusing on the working out the muscles that you use when punching.

Fighting all the things you slack off in learning will be your downfall in a fight.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
You have to learn how to punch with proper form and technique. Most of your punching power comes from your legs and hips and how you turn those. Do you want to learn boxing or MMA, because boxers throw punches differently from MMA fighters.

I'm a pretty big guy (6'2 250, I don't go below 240 ever) and I'm light as hell on my feet. I got the footwork of a lightweight and can still punch like a heavyweight, nobody ever likes sparring me. :russ:
How so for bolded? Also this is terrifying. Heavier, fast people are terrifying. Why. Just why.:heh:

AnotherRoute

Just another post by
Daps
Reppin
BR..O..OK...LYN

Yoo we the same height and weight :smugfavre:

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
Nah he not lying bro, either you have that explosiveness in your genes or you don't. Thing is a lot of people will actually never know they have that power because they don't know how to utilize it properly.

@Booksnrain contrary to popular belief, it is not as easy to knock out another fully grown human being as you think(most people don't even have the mass to throw KO punches like that), and 99 times out of 100 without the proper training you won't even get close.
It’s very easy for the average man to knock out another man and maybe even kill them. The average man doesn't know how to protect their chin or head and will literally walk or throw themselves into the punches. You don’t have to throw a perfect punch at a unprotected chin when the person being punched is using their momentum to unwillingly help you:francis:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I don't know

Forman wasn't explosive and hit harder than Tyson. Wilder is a hard hitters too.

Foreman was also built like a brick shythouse too. Mass and bone density does play a large part in punching power too. There are different types of power bro.

Take Errol Spence and Keith Thurman. Thurman's nickname was one time because he had that explosive one punch power whereas Spence while not explosive every punch he throws comes hard and hurts and eventually he breaks you down cause you don't want to or physically can't take the punishment anymore.

Last edited:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
It’s very easy for the average man to knock out another man and maybe even kill them. The average man doesn't know how to protect their chin or head and will literally walk or throw themselves into the punches. You don’t have to throw a perfect punch at a unprotected chin when the person being punched is using their momentum to unwillingly help you:francis:

Yeah that is the 1 out of 100 situation in most street fights. Usually most average untrained people aint hitting hard enough to even bruise the other cat up let alone knock them out cold bro. I've seen mumerous street fights with tons of punches landed and barely any marks or bruises after the fact because 95% of people don't know how to fight or throw a proper punch.

Very rarely have I seen KO's in street fights unless there was a massive size difference.

P90

Automatic Ultra Reflex
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk where I’m from / Bahston where I’m at
:laff:Somebody somewhere in the world…won’t know you are trolling. And they are gonna take this to heart and go out there and get fukked up.

On film.
street-fight-punch.gif

Look what you did sir. Smh

this is a good example of how not to throw a punch (wild swing with the arm only) vs sort of how to throw one properly. Big man has right hand at chin, slips right by twisting at the waist, then turns his body to get the power behind the right hand. I mean he’s huge but his form is tight mostly.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Everything such as power, speed, timing, reflexes, all can be developed with proper training. It's just that due to genetics, everyone's ceiling will be different. You also have to have a certain temperament when it comes to knocking someone out. Some people are more violent than others and will strike with meaner intentions than some people who might even be physically stronger or naturally hit harder.

as far as having a chin and the ability to take punches, that can be developed too. Strengthening your neck muscles will help you absorb shots better, but defensive awareness is more important than that. Punches that you don't see coming or have that split second to brace for will always hurt and shock you more. Keeping your chin tucked helps as well. I've seen guys get dropped with shots that they could have withstood if they weren't flailing their arms with their chins up in the air where anything that clips it could make you lose your balance.

Techniec

Drugs and Kalashnikovs
Daps
Reppin
W/S 416
What are some things a man should consider when they're really tall?

I'm approaching 40....still look young but I can feel myself getting :flabbynsick:

I'm trying to get into some kind of physical combat fitness , boxing, kickboxing etc

I'm tall tho ..6'7....clocking in at 251 but I'm carrying an extra covid 25

Got that tall lanky physique... more importantly I'm starting to feel pains and aches...my core strength and flexibility and coordination is very weak