Dear Coli Experts: Beginner Fighting Questions

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Why can some people punch REAAAAALLLY hard, while others can’t?
Where does that strength come from?:damn:

How do some people just “eat” punches? While others have a “glass jaw”?

What does “leg work” have to do with anything?

When I was in high school, I saw this HUGE blk/Samoan Dude fight a guy. Everybody thought the other dude was gonna win, but the blk dude was FAST AS HELL in spite of his size.

How do some bigger people STILL BE that fast???!!!!

Everybody has their different spin on this stuff, so input and perspective from you seasoned vets is appreciated.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
1. Large knuckles.
2. There is a bump on your forearm, not every one has it, but that bump is a muscle that augments your punching power.
3. Large/dense bone structure

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
MMA fighter here.

Hard punches come from precision.
Strength from punches come from the hips and legs. You need to learn to punch. Most people can't and when I say most I mean most.

Footwork is about positioning. If you can get in an optimal position to strike you're also avoiding being hit. There are parts of the head that are more vulnerable to strikes than others like that 30 degree angle near the chin.

A person who has trained to take and dodge punches will be faster than someone who isn't.

Chin's are kinda either you have one or you don't.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
1. Large knuckles.
2. There is a bump on your forearm, not every one has it, but that bump is a muscle that augments your punching power.
3. Large/dense bone structure
:ohhh: File this under shyt I’ve never heard of!!!:ohhh:

For number 3, if you have larger/denser bones, wouldn’t that affect your speed?

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
MMA fighter here.

Strength from punches come from the hips and legs. You need to learn to punch. Most people can't and when I say most I mean most.

Footwork is about positioning. If you can get in an optimal position to strike you're also avoiding being hit. There are parts of the head that are more vulnerable to strikes than others like that 30 degree angle near the chin.

A person who has trained to take and dodge punches will be faster than someone who isn't.

How long have you trained?

It’s crazy to think that a punch performed with upper body comes from your legs.

How Sway? Which is also why I used to get confused hearing people talking about legs being important. I thought they were talking about for kicks…:mjlol::russ:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
MMA fighter here.

Also what’s been your toughest fight?:feedme:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

It’s crazy to think that a punch performed with upper body comes from your legs.

How Sway? Which is also why I used to get confused hearing people talking about legs being important. I thought they were talking about for kicks…:mjlol::russ:
To punch effectively you have to position yourself with your lower body.

And the lower cent of gravity the more stable you are. This is partly why mike tyson was so effective against much taller opponents.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Also what’s been your toughest fight?:feedme:
For me guys my size with a lot of stamina. Speed can kill combine that with technique and stamina. I'm conrering a fight today for my teammate. He's the hardest fight I've ever had because he's a wrestler with a striking background. Wrestlers have ungodly stamina.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
To punch effectively you have to position yourself with your lower body.

And the lower cent of gravity the more stable you are. This is partly why mike tyson was so effective against much taller opponents.
:russ:I called and you picked up.:salute:
Yeaaah my dad used to watch those fights. As a baby I was always scared for Tyson but then I’d see him fukk up somebody taller than himself and be just looking at the world like “Whoa”:ohhh:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

I've been practicing martial arts for 6 years. I've been practicing mma for 3 years.

When you punch you're turning into the punch your whole body goes into it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ipg-stKRRsw?feature=share

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps

It's comes from your legs because you using your legs and twisting your hips to throw the punch/kick.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
You have to learn how to punch with proper form and technique. Most of your punching power comes from your legs and hips and how you turn those. Do you want to learn boxing or MMA, because boxers throw punches differently from MMA fighters.

I'm a pretty big guy (6'2 250, I don't go below 240 ever) and I'm light as hell on my feet. I got the footwork of a lightweight and can still punch like a heavyweight, nobody ever likes sparring me. :russ: