David O' Russell's 'Amsterdam' set to lose $97 million for Regency Enterprises

Burned Verses

Superstar
Daps

While tentpoles resuscitated moviegoing this past summer with pics like Top Gun: Maverick, it’s true that more adult-skewing fare is having a much harder time now. Nowhere was this more true than with David O. Russell’s Amsterdam, which rivals believed had a shot at opening to $12 million-$15 million this past weekend based on the absurdist period comedy’s glossy ensemble of Christian Bale, Margot Robbie, John David Washington, Rami Malek, Robert De Niro, Anya Taylor-Joy, Taylor Swift, Michael Shannon (the list doesn’t stop).

But that did not happen: With a $6.5M opening at 3,005 theaters, boosted by Imax and PLF ticket sales that accounted for more than a third of that number, altogether it came out to a paltry $10M worldwide start. Russell was trying to replicate the success of his starry, 10-time Oscar-nominated American Hustle, which minted a $19.1M domestic wide opening over Christmas 2013, a $150M+ stateside gross and $251.1M worldwide off a $40M production cost. Amsterdam, fully financed by New Regency per its deal with Disney/20th Century Studios, was twice as much at a reported $80M, that being the pic’s most piercing nail in its coffin. What should have been an awards-season play with its originality quickly was sandbagged by critics at 34% on Rotten Tomatoes. So much, critics, for celebrating that which is original on the big screen.

RELATED: ‘Amsterdam’ Review: Christian Bale & All-Star Cast Light Up David O. Russell’s Timely Blend Of Fact And Fiction

Yes, even by pre-pandemic standards, this 1930s-set comedy was expensive, so how did this come to be? Based on a projected global gross of $35M, an estimated $70M global P&A spend — which I’m told is the bare minimum for a big pic like this — backstopped by Regency, Amsterdam after all home ancillaries will lose around $100M ($97M to be exact).
But, again, that high production cost — why?

I’m told Amsterdam‘s lofty price boiled down to its change in location, from Boston to a Los Angeles shoot, and putting the brakes on the production when the pandemic hit in March 2020. That’s when Amsterdam was expected to shoot, and the start date was pushed to January 2021. None of the cast wanted to travel to Boston due to Covid, so L.A. was more prime. The period nature of the movie and the changeup from Boston to L.A. pushed the production cost from a planned $50M to $80M. That’s with a $2.5M California tax credit.

This type of situation, in which production costs would skyrocket by tens of millions, wasn’t abnormal during this point of the pandemic. Once Amsterdam was up and running, there were no Covid shutdowns and no one tested positive despite cases surging by 19,000 daily, and it was smooth sailing during a 49-day shoot.

{QUOTE]

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
These old white men need to Accept that nobody is interested in their pretentious bullshyt drama movies anymore .
Ngl, I’m feeling the same kinda way with Babylon. Only difference is that I actually trust Chazelle to hit when it comes to nailing down the story and getting more out of his cast. Amsterdam just felt like it was in the wrong hands.

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
Not surprised. Including me and my girl there were 6 people watching it Sunday night

Carl Tethers

@mastermind is OVO
Supporter
Daps
I am a fan of David O. Russell's movies but American Hustle is the last joint I liked. Joy was not good and this looks whatever. But:
Flirting With Disaster
Three Kings
I Heart Huckabees
The Fighter
Silver Linings Playbook
American Hustle
is one of the better streaks of movies by 1 director.

He's a c*nt

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
The trailer didn't do a good job of showing what the hell that movie was about. I still don't really know. It just threw a bunch of big name actors at us and expected people to go see it off that alone.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
The trailer didn't do a good job of showing what the hell that movie was about. I still don't really know. It just threw a bunch of big name actors at us and expected people to go see it off that alone.
my pops wanted to peep based off the names

but he hated this shyt...first time we ever left a film mid movie.