Albums Dave East - Survival (Discussion Thread)

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Pretty much. He keeping putting out the same product expecting a different result

This.

East is talented, but like someone else posted, there's a lazy vibe to his music now. It definitely started having more of a generic feel a couple years ago, and it still has that. Nothing really stands out. Griselda pretty much came through and snatched the lane that East could've created for himself in the city. I think people moved on because the expectations might've been too high after Black Rose.

waynep

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dave East is the only artist on here I see that can drop a decent to good album and nikkas tell him to hang it up. Yet u got nikkas who drop straight up Wack projects minus a few songs and no one says shyt. And they get hyped up.
Cats hate Nas so much that East is actually catching heat because of it.
If East was with TDE dudes would be loving him.
I've heard worst albums than this the past few years that
didn't catch the same flack. Solid album to me.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This.

East is talented, but like someone else posted, there's a lazy vibe to his music now. It definitely started having more of a generic feel a couple years ago, and it still has that. Nothing really stands out. Griselda pretty much came through and snatched the lane that East could've created for himself in the city. I think people moved on because the expectations might've been too high after Black Rose.

I dont agree that he is putting out the same product AND expecting a different result. his album direction is just generic is all...its formulaic almost down to the tee. like "we gonna do two love songs, then we gonna do 5 trap joints, we gonna tell a couple of stories, etc..." East is no different from a lot artists that make music that they think certain fans will like as opposed to making most of the music that he likes. I can guarantee you years later if they do a review of his albums with him, he will name a bunch of tracks that he wasnt feeling but put them on his album anyway because he or his team felt it was something that a certain group of fans wanted to hear. thats a difference between him and Nip is Nip music just sounded more organic. he seemed more comfortable on everything he did. East isnt some failure though. if his goal was to make money and cross over in to acting then he did it the right way. NYC rappers like him these days usually cant make it beyond a small underground following.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
ok y’all nas stans and this persecution complex lol

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That's a little part of it as well. Not all. But that next nikka to "bring" NYC back and he's not a mumble mouth nikka has people in their feelings.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
That's a little part of it as well. Not all. But that next nikka to "bring" NYC back and he's not a mumble mouth nikka has people in their feelings.
Ain’t nobody hating on East cuz of no fukking Nas. Most people don’t even know he signed with him. Jay Z fans for the most part I see think his biggest artist Cole is even more boring than East. That’s why I get at Nas stans y’all dudes nuts

Daps
i know a album not hitting if lyrics not being posted

I noticed nobody responded to this which is very poignant...

West Coast
Midwest
Down South

Do not have the same standards of being a lyricist. It’s the reason NYC remains on a island where other regions have a difficult time relating to us and how they have a kinship amongst each other. Maybe if Dave was from somewhere else people would pay him on the back for trying but if you from the city and you claim to be serious about rap people will always expect more and you will always be compared to the heavy hitters that came before

In what era would this guy be considered top 10 in the city?

Early 00s?
Late 90s?
Mid 90s?
Late 80s?

Do you realize the amount of guys who were shelved in the early 00s who represented exactly what Dave does? Average rapper who can’t make a single

Murda
Grafh
Gravy
Bathgate
Pap
Bundles
Tom Gist

And the list goes on & on

Dave isn’t garbage...but he isn’t good. What he ultimately has working in his favor people have a soft spot for a time that’s all but dead so anyone attempting to make music in that vein scores points with people.

The amount of excuses that are made for him by some of these guys are fascinating to me. It’s almost like Ben Simmons lol

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I noticed nobody responded to this which is very poignant...

West Coast
Midwest
Down South

Do not have the same standards of being a lyricist. It’s the reason NYC remains on a island where other regions have a difficult time relating to us and how they have a kinship amongst each other. Maybe if Dave was from somewhere else people would pay him on the back for trying but if you from the city and you claim to be serious about rap people will always expect more and you will always be compared to the heavy hitters that came before

In what era would this guy be considered top 10 in the city?

Early 00s?
Late 90s?
Mid 90s?
Late 80s?

Do you realize the amount of guys who were shelved in the early 00s who represented exactly what Dave does? Average rapper who can’t make a single

Murda
Grafh
Gravy
Bathgate
Pap
Bundles
Tom Gist

And the list goes on & on

Dave isn’t garbage...but he isn’t good. What he ultimately has working in his favor people have a soft spot for a time that’s all but dead so anyone attempting to make music in that vein scores points with people.

The amount of excuses that are made for him by some of these guys are fascinating to me. It’s almost like Ben Simmons lol
Trash ass post my god

Stop with the dissertations and overanalysis there’s nothing wrong with this guy

And of course this nikka name drops 20 Smack rappers for no reason at all

Wtf is wrong with you nikkas

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
East has done well. If Lloyd Banks wouldve came out by himself and not with the Unit, pretty sure he wouldnt have had the same level of success that Dave has. and yes, Banks is a better rapper but he wouldve been just like Papoose. lyrics dont sell like that today. Dave pretty much got it out the mud with the mixtape circuit from when NO ONE knew him and he wasnt affiliated with a crew.

Daps
Trash ass post my god

Stop with the dissertations and overanalysis there’s nothing wrong with this guy

And of course this nikka name drops 20 Smack rappers for no reason at all

Wtf is wrong with you nikkas

Which leads me to you...

Every SINGLE rapper on The Coli gets critiqued to the 10th degree no matter who you are

There isn’t one opinion about this guy that’s critical that you don’t respond to PROMPTLY

some nikkax like it...
some nikkax don’t...

I’m sure he understands that...Why can’t you?
:russ::russ::russ::russ::russ:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ain’t nobody hating on East cuz of no fukking Nas. Most people don’t even know he signed with him. Jay Z fans for the most part I see think his biggest artist Cole is even more boring than East. That’s why I get at Nas stans y’all dudes nuts

Don't quote me my nikka. You one of the biggest haters in this motherfukka. If you know what you getting from East by now, why the fukk you still in here complaining? Same nikkas will be back in another East thread with 10+ posts.. I didn't say that was the reason. But it's a part of it.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Which leads me to you...

Every SINGLE rapper on The Coli gets critiqued to the 10th degree no matter who you are

There isn’t one opinion about this guy that’s critical that you don’t respond to PROMPTLY

some nikkax like it...
some nikkax don’t...

I’m sure he understands that...Why can’t you?
:russ::russ::russ::russ::russ:

Like you reallllyyyy get worked up about this shyt.
Tell me what compelled you to bring up the likes of Tom Gist and Gravy on this morning in 2019 :laff:

It’s a difference between critique and hating. Obviously not everyone gonna be a fan of an artist work but I see the same couple of heads always hating in his threads. :dead: