Albums Dave East - Survival (Discussion Thread)

A.V.

reTIreMEnt: THE ALBUM (01/22) ALL DSPs
Daps
Reppin
#AnyCityGang
Dave my nikka, so it's no hate. The production was actually refreshing to hear and dope for the most part, considering I was expecting a few more trap sounding joints. I'm glad he didn't go in that direction. Def could've cut a few songs off for a more cohesive album but it's cohesive enough as is, to not sound all over the place.

The first 2 songs I couldve done without, (intro was wild regular, didn't even sound like an intro), Penthouse sounded meh, like he was uninspired & half asleep recording his verse, but it makes sense that it was a Nipsey joint first. The breadth of Nip's voice & flow balances out the mellowness of the beat and woulda brought it to life to it in ways Dave just isn't able to.

The R&B joints are cool for what they are, I just feel like somethings missing from this album. Son can spit, he just doesn't have that over the top IT factor when it comes to charisma or originality. And I think that's what's keeping him stagnant.

He's a jack of all trades, master of none rapper. And his shyt can get repetitive. It's still a solid album. Maybe 6.5/10 after first listen, but I expected and wanted to see more out of this nikka so maybe I'm biased.

On another note, RIP to Nip, but at times this album feels like it went way overboard with the Nipsey mimicking. Like everything from the color scheme/font of the album, beat selection & content, down to the "Survival" tag sprinkled throughout the album just screams "Victory Lap" to me.

I know I'm not bugging. :wow:

Last edited:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Exactly half way through this, and honestly, the only track I’m not feeling is the leadoff DJ Premier one. That’s a very extra regular song and awful intro track. But I’m cool with what I heard so far. The production is nice and I’m glad I haven’t heard a single generic trap sounding beat yet. Also seems like most of these are story telling Dave East, which I feel like is the best version of him. Will peep the rest tomorrow.