"Darkness, No Parents."-The Official Top 10 Movies and Top 5 Worst Movies of 2014 Voting ends 2/25

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I really liked Inherent Vice, but this year was a very strong year for movies (even some of the summer blockbusters were good unlike most years where they are strictly ticket sellers), so it was tough to make this list.

Yeah I wanted to put it on but couldn't :whoknows:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
I'll do my worst films of the year. Note: these movies I guess weren't necessarily bad but they were films that I saw that bored me to absolute tears

1) Neighbors

I had high hopes for this because the trailers made it look very funny and the whole generation gap premise should've had a lot more laughs. But really the only thing I laughed at was the Robert DeNiro party scene.

2) Boyhood

Technically good but the story didn't resonate with me all too much. Yes it's a grand documentation on time and the human condition, the hardships, the yawning chasms of pain an regret, the transience of human relationships, the shytty pop music, but, nah, wouldn't even dream of watching it again.

3) Locke

Tom Hardy in a car trying to extinguish his ghosts from the past and reconcile his relationships that have haunted him or that he was negligent towards. Good acting from all involved, and I try super hard to not poke holes in things but when the one dude asked Hardy, "Why don't you just call in sick?" That's an option? Yeah why not do that Tom? Why throw everything away? Just call in sick and take care of your illegitimate child like normal people do.

4) Birdman

Once you get over the initial awe of what's going on at a technical level the whole thing is a bit :ld: good acting all around and thematically profound on several levels but dramatically I thought it was actually really flat.

5) Dear White People

Boring. Unfunny. Not scathing enough. Preaching to the choir. It's a movie that needed to be made I suppose but that is really it. It didn't exceed any expectations, just griefs and observations that any cognizant black person would be aware of living in America in the 21st century. And it also really just serves as an echo chamber, a film for black people to nod along on agreement with and for liberal whites to give themselves masturbatory high fives.

6) Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier

Schlock Marvel bullshyt. This was the film that actually made me want to quit seeing superhero movies. So boring and dull, didn't even elicit anything from me except a nod and a "huh" once the credits began to roll. nikkas were talking about tearing up when Cap was in the museum and lookin at old films :mjlol:

7) Guardians of the Galaxy

BUT I suffer from FOMO so I coughed up 10 to see The Guardians of the Galaxy. fukk this movie. It's one of those films where you are constantly reminded that you are an adult. As an adult do I really care about Chris Pratt dancing? Do I care about a mining colony set on a floating head in space or a talking racc00n? Haha no...no I don't. And I'm not even that grown up, my parents still pay my cell bill ffs but this was too much for me.

8) Godzilla

Oh I had high hopes for this one lads but this was just downright embarrassing. Especially embarrassing because I dragged the whole fam to see it.

Me: this Godzilla about to go hard:jawalrus:

Fam: :ld::patrice:

Once Bryan Cranston died I knew I fukked up. Once it got to the end battle worst fears confirmed :ffs:

That's all I have for now, might edit with a few more.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
I'll do my worst films of the year. Note: these movies I guess weren't necessarily bad but they were films that I saw that bored me to absolute tears

1) Neighbors

I had high hopes for this because the trailers made it look very funny and the whole generation gap premise should've had a lot more laughs. But really the only thing I laughed at was the Robert DeNiro party scene.

2) Boyhood

Technically good but the story didn't resonate with me all too much. Yes it's a grand documentation on time and the human condition, the hardships, the yawning chasms of pain an regret, the transience of human relationships, the shytty pop music, but, nah, wouldn't even dream of watching it again.

3) Locke

Tom Hardy in a car trying to extinguish his ghosts from the past and reconcile his relationships that have haunted him or that he was negligent towards. Good acting from all involved, and I try super hard to not poke holes in things but when the one dude asked Hardy, "Why don't you just call in sick?" That's an option? Yeah why not do that Tom? Why throw everything away? Just call in sick and take care of your illegitimate child like normal people do.

4) Birdman

Once you get over the initial awe of what's going on at a technical level the whole thing is a bit :ld: good acting all around and thematically profound on several levels but dramatically I thought it was actually really flat.

5) Dear White People

Boring. Unfunny. Not scathing enough. Preaching to the choir. It's a movie that needed to be made I suppose but that is really it. It didn't exceed any expectations, just griefs and observations that any cognizant black person would be aware of living in America in the 21st century. And it also really just serves as an echo chamber, a film for black people to nod along on agreement with and for liberal whites to give themselves masturbatory high fives.

6) Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier

Schlock Marvel bullshyt. This was the film that actually made me want to quit seeing superhero movies. So boring and dull, didn't even elicit anything from me except a nod and a "huh" once the credits began to roll. nikkas were talking about tearing up when Cap was in the museum and lookin at old films :mjlol:

7) Guardians of the Galaxy

BUT I suffer from FOMO so I coughed up 10 to see The Guardians of the Galaxy. fukk this movie. It's one of those films where you are constantly reminded that you are an adult. As an adult do I really care about Chris Pratt dancing? Do I care about a mining colony set on a floating head in space or a talking racc00n? Haha no...no I don't. And I'm not even that grown up, my parents still pay my cell bill ffs but this was too much for me.

8) Godzilla

Oh I had high hopes for this one lads but this was just downright embarrassing. Especially embarrassing because I dragged the whole fam to see it.

Me: this Godzilla about to go hard:jawalrus:

Fam: :ld::patrice:

Once Bryan Cranston died I knew I fukked up. Once it got to the end battle worst fears confirmed :ffs:

That's all I have for now, might edit with a few more.

I agree with pretty much everything you said except Locke. That shyt was excellent; Also Neighbors was like The Interview in that they both had some real LOL moments but other parts were kinda meh.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
didn't know you loved a Most Violent year that much breh.

i liked it ..but it def coulda been better
A Most Violent Year felt like a more polished Abel Ferrara movie...it was dark and portrayed NY in the 1980s perfectly. I loved its simplicity and how we overlook the everyday darkness of capitalism and crime (which is the same thing to me but that's for another topic lol)

I'm not shytting on Ferrara though as I love his films, but his plotting sometimes gets murky

blazn101

TPC life..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
My favorites:
Selma
Birdman
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Gone Girl
Night Crawler
Whiplash
Lego movie
Foxcatcher
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Babadook

Least favorites:
Transformers Age of Extinction
Annabelle
Lucy
Jack Ryan
Hobbit 3

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
didn't know you loved a Most Violent year that much breh.

i liked it ..but it def coulda been better

Anytime I see a movie I always ask myself when it's over how do I feel and why did the movie make me feel this way, whether it be good or bad. And a most violent year just connected with me so much and I felt like it was very well done. Trying not to lose yourself while trying to make a life for your family and having to do things you regret is always a good hook for me. And I just liked the ambiance of the movie. Anytime you start with Inner City Blues, you're probably going to get me off the break

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
My favorites:
Selma
Birdman
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Gone Girl
Night Crawler
Whiplash
Lego movie
Foxcatcher
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Babadook

Least favorites:
Transformers Age of Extinction
Annabelle
Lucy
Jack Ryan
Hobbit 3
Breh you gotta explain why those movies sucked for you...it makes it more fun

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Anytime I see a movie I always ask myself when it's over how do I feel and why did the movie make me feel this way, whether it be good or bad. And a most violent year just connected with me so much and I felt like it was very well done. Trying not to lose yourself while trying to make a life for your family and having to do things you regret is always a good hook for me. And I just liked the ambiance of the movie. Anytime you start with Inner City Blues, you're probably going to get me off the break
It's definitely stuck with me a bit in the past few weeks since i've seen it

those trailers make it look like it's an all-time goat though but its not

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It's definitely stuck with me a bit in the past few weeks since i've seen it

those trailers make it look like it's an all-time goat though but its not

To be fair though, I didn't have much expectations for it. Like whether it was going to be that dope or going to be bad..I think I saw one trailer for it and that was that. Just loved the story and wanted to see what it was about