Danny Ainge Ain't Walking Through That Door - 2021-22 Boston Celtics season thread

JBone4eva

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I'm still indecisive on who I want for head coach, but I'm leaning towards Chauncey. I think he will be able to properly motivate and keep our brehs accountable. I'm slightly intrigued by Udoka, I forgot that he coached under coach Pop. Seems like Kara Lawson is highly regarded which is also intriguing, because she's already familiar with everyone and they seem to think highly of her. I def just want an outside coach, I don't want an internal hire from Brads staff. I think we need a new voice and new outlook.

I only want Fournier back if he signs for around 15mil a year which is doubtful because he can def get 20, and this will likely be his BIG deal. Players I really want are Lonzo Ball and Richaun Holmes, our defense would be so versatile and our offense would be a lot faster with them in the lineup. I honestly wouldn't be mad if we just flipped Kemba for Horford. I still want to hold on to Tre Waters (I think he's the perfect change of pace back up point) Tacko, Semi, Carsen, and Tristan (hopefully) can all hit the bushes, I think Kornet is worth keeping on the cheap in Tacko's role.

This offseason is honestly kinda exciting, I think Tatum is gonna come in hard next season, I don't expect much improvement from JB cuz of his injury impairing his ability to train this offseason. I'm nervous about Timelord's ability to stay on the court and play more than 30 mins a game. Brad inferred that he isn't going to be able to log big minutes, hopefully that changes down the line.

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
Team seemed disengaged and flat in a big chunk of the games they played this season, and with Stevens admitting that he had been burnt out from coaching since the bubble, I think it's easy to put two and two together. I said all season that he was lacking passion and the team's body language was reflective of that.

Now, I don't think it absolutely has to be a former player, but me personally I'm not really interested at all in a retread coach that hasn't been able to get the job done at multiple locations like a Clifford, Stotts or D'Antoni. It just so happens that the top first time coaching prospects seem to be all former players :manny:

I have concerns with Brad having the most control of the roster too, especially due to his rotations. I mean shyt, look how long it took him to realize that Pritchard was better than Teague or that Time Lord was the best center on the team. Plus coaches running front offices in recent years has been a disaster. But at this point the decision has been made, it's clear that they had to move on from Ainge, and we can only hope for the best.
Valid points. I think Brad the coach definitely has a loyalty mindset that made him slow to make changes in his rotations, but it’s hard to know if some of that was calculated because of what he was seeing in the locker room and lack of leadership from his young guys.

My hope is that he is smart enough to realize he has to install a coach who he can leave alone and not mettle with and that he makes non emotional roster decisions.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Chris Paul on the Suns is a perfect example that you don't need to make huge splashes in free agency to be a contender

Celtics are lacking similar to what the Suns were lacking prior to Chris Paul coming. Two young stars with alot of potential without a floor general

The thought of trading away one of your two young stars (Jaylen) is odd to me. They need a veteran voice as a pass first Point guard to get them to their spots and make their potential explode. That is what they are lacking. Those smooth offensive sets, someone to set the tone

I also use the example of the Clippers. Thinking you can throw 2 stars, Kawhi and Paul George, on the table and think it would just automatically work. Then you realize that the Clippers STILL need a floor general :dead::dead::dead::dead:. The Clipper's offense is very discombobulated in this very playoffs

IMO we should stop hunting for stars when we already have 2 right on our team. Get them that veteran leadership at the point guard position and at the head coach position, and watch the team turn into contenders

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm still indecisive on who I want for head coach, but I'm leaning towards Chauncey. I think he will be able to properly motivate and keep our brehs accountable. I'm slightly intrigued by Udoka, I forgot that he coached under coach Pop. Seems like Kara Lawson is highly regarded which is also intriguing, because she's already familiar with everyone and they seem to think highly of her. I def just want an outside coach, I don't want an internal hire from Brads staff. I think we need a new voice and new outlook.

I only want Fournier back if he signs for around 15mil a year which is doubtful because he can def get 20, and this will likely be his BIG deal. Players I really want are Lonzo Ball and Richaun Holmes, our defense would be so versatile and our offense would be a lot faster with them in the lineup. I honestly wouldn't be mad if we just flipped Kemba for Horford. I still want to hold on to Tre Waters (I think he's the perfect change of pace back up point) Tacko, Semi, Carsen, and Tristan (hopefully) can all hit the bushes, I think Kornet is worth keeping on the cheap in Tacko's role.

This offseason is honestly kinda exciting, I think Tatum is gonna come in hard next season, I don't expect much improvement from JB cuz of his injury impairing his ability to train this offseason. I'm nervous about Timelord's ability to stay on the court and play more than 30 mins a game. Brad inferred that he isn't going to be able to log big minutes, hopefully that changes down the line.

Lonzo would be perfect but I’m not sure how they’d be able to make it work financially. It would have to be a S&T and I think they would almost certainly want Smart, which I’m not necessarily opposed to but idk if Stevens feels the same. Rubio would also be a good fit.

Fournier will be a good 6th man which we barely got to see this season because all of the injuries, but we’re in a tough spot because they might be forced to overpay him or risk him leaving and not having the cap space to replace him, in addition to it basically cementing that they lost Hayward for nothing.

I think Waters is gone, Yam Madar is coming over this season and I think he takes that two-way spot. I liked Waters last season but this year I thought he was a mess, he would come in and try to do too much, a couple games where they blew big leads because of him. I would like to see them cut bait on Grant Williams as well.

@UpAndComing I think the mistake with going after Kemba was that he’s basically the poor man’s Kyrie, and I think after Kyrie left they should’ve went after a PG who actually fit best with Tatum & Brown, instead of chasing the biggest name.

Last edited:

Copy Ninja

Superstar
Daps
I'll be the first to admit...I haven't a clue how qualified for the role we need filled any coaching candidates are.

Everyone's on the 'we need a former player' tip all of a sudden. I know ti seems like they tuned Brad out this year, but its hard for me to know what they actually need since their locker room is air tight and even with all this drama the past few years, its been very few little things that have slipped out.

I'm much more concerned with Brad and Zarren and the decisions they make with personnel.

My player wish list is Lonzo Ball, Kristaps and Marcus Robinson and shipping Kemba, Tristan and Fournier out.

Lonzo would fit the team well, a pass first PG who plays D. Kristaps would be great but I think that's a pipe dream. They do need a big who can shoot and pass. Horford for a year or two would fit the team well.

Most important decision though is a HC who Tatum/Brown are going to listen to and respect. No more college coaches. They need a coach who understands what it's like dealing with NBA players' egos. An ex player like Cassel would be my choice.

Kang Deezy

Overall Nice Guy
Daps
Reppin
The stoop with dat dope fanny padding
only retread id like off the top of my head would be JVG, otherwise give me something fresh

package kemba and smart and get them both out of here. langford is useless.

bring back fournier and tacko

I think Langford earned himself another season in the playoffs

timelord is the one I’m on the fence about, his talent is tantalizing but he hasn’t proven he can stay healthy... can’t picture being able to count on him to start in 60 out of 82 games... plus he’s due for an extension and can’t throw out what he’d get for someone that is still such a question mark... I think you have to trade him

Pritchard nesmith and Langford along with Tatum and brown are the players I’m trying to keep this off-season... everybody else can go

Would be fine with Fournier returning if the price is right but I think 3 for 45 would be as high as I would go with the third year not guaranteed

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
I think Langford earned himself another season in the playoffs

timelord is the one I’m on the fence about, his talent is tantalizing but he hasn’t proven he can stay healthy... can’t picture being able to count on him to start in 60 out of 82 games... plus he’s due for an extension and can’t throw out what he’d get for someone that is still such a question mark... I think you have to trade him

Pritchard nesmith and Langford along with Tatum and brown are the players I’m trying to keep this off-season... everybody else can go

Would be fine with Fournier returning if the price is right but I think 3 for 45 would be as high as I would go with the third year not guaranteed

I'd actually use timelords injury history as a reason TO sign him long term. It could be a negotiation play to get him at better value. I think hes exactly the type of big we need, gotta keep him.

Langford is just a body. He doesnt really do anything

Agreed on Pritchard and Nesmith. I got kedrick brown vibes on nesmith early on but hes decent

I dont think Fournier would sign that deal on those terms. I'd be willing to go 3/60 with the 3rd a team option

Kang Deezy

Overall Nice Guy
Daps
Reppin
The stoop with dat dope fanny padding
I'd actually use timelords injury history as a reason TO sign him long term. It could be a negotiation play to get him at better value. I think hes exactly the type of big we need, gotta keep him.

Langford is just a body. He doesnt really do anything

Agreed on Pritchard and Nesmith. I got kedrick brown vibes on nesmith early on but hes decent

I dont think Fournier would sign that deal on those terms. I'd be willing to go 3/60 with the 3rd a team option

I must be missing something on Fournier

I know we are desperate for another reliable scorer but I didn’t think he was that good for us

It’s a decent argument for keeping timelord if the price is right but just seems like a huge gamble
to count on him as a long term starter

can’t imagine him going for less than 15 a year, if you could get him for 4/40 then great, go for it... but it would be a mistake to count on him to start 70 games next season

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

I know we are desperate for another reliable scorer but I didn’t think he was that good for us

It’s a decent argument for keeping timelord if the price is right but just seems like a huge gamble

can’t imagine him going for less than 15 a year, if you could get him for 4/40 then great, go for it... but it would be a mistake to count on him to start 70 games next season

Agree with everything you said. Not sure Fournier is the end all be all. He was just average with us
But I would say he may fit much better on the team with a better coach to utilize his talent better

I love Timelord, but unless he really spends the summer with a strength and conditioning coach and tackles the injuries that are ailing him, I just don't know if we can keep him

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds

Agree with everything you said. Not sure Fournier is the end all be all. He was just average with us
But I would say he may fit much better on the team with a better coach to utilize his talent better

I love Timelord, but unless he really spends the summer with a strength and conditioning coach and tackles the injuries that are ailing him, I just don't know if we can keep him

The argument for fournier isn't that hes the perfect answer but hes the best use of the asset. We have his bird rights. We arent getting anything better on the FA market and a 3 year deal wont kill us. If we can swap kemba and smart with picks for lillard or something and we run a lineup of lillard, fournier, brown, tatum and timelord then we will be really cooking

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Fournier isn't perfect but as a 6th man he's fine as long as the contract is reasonable, and like @Russ said, if he walks we don't have the cap space to bring in anyone better or on his level to take his spot.

Also I'm not completely against trading Time Lord while his value is high, but if you do who's playing center for this team? Cause for damn sure I want no parts of a center rotation that looked anything like it did in the playoffs when Time Lord was out.