Dandadan Manga Thread

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
ReReading up through Chapter 120. The Alien Invasion did setup Dandadan as one of the premier Shonens. In many ways, I wouldn't call it a battle manga like JJK, Bleach, Sakamoto Days, etc.

It is a mix of Bleach & CSM. Bleach in how it is a group of friends having adventurers. Where in Bleach it was Ichigo with a various number of companions with him. In Dandadan it is the journey of Momo & Okarun. As not all of their friends accompany them for every arc, as we know. Though the side characters are much more fleshed out here then in Bleach. CSM as it is how Momo & Okarun how their relationship develops. Compare that to Denji's story in CSM. Their relationship's growth feeling more relatable, makes it more appealing than CSM. Too many times Denji is a punching back and a ha ha look how degenerate Denji is.

One key thing is the presence of Reiko Kashima. Momo and Seiko mention her as the strongest Yokai. Essentially, her presence alone dealt with an entire army of invading Aliens. It's difficult to list her as an ally or threat, but she is one giant wild card.

272-D89-E6-3585-4-CCC-914-E-6-A3078-CC93-FF.jpg

2-AA28-E62-29-AE-4-D4-F-B18-D-196-A48-CF9320.jpg

In a surprise turn, Tatsu kept the Submerians alive. Tbh Idk how important they will be going forward. But the fact they are alive is interesting.

95468-D4-B-2-C52-4-C37-A355-F4-E24-CE5-EFC6.jpg

The threat of the Aliens known as Kur so far has been the biggest villain group. It was highlighted earlier in the manga how the Yokai keep the earth safe from the Aliens. In many way , Aliens are presented as the villains and Yokai as wildcard ally. Though with the Sepros position, they are a wildcard as well.

More points of Count Saint-Germain being the final boss of the series given that he is with the Kur.

97566380-673-B-47-B6-891-B-DDABE1724-BCC.jpg

CFF16-A50-7192-45-F5-9-CFA-FC862-D529-A89.jpg

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Man, the whole game arc is Dandadan back like how it was in terms of peak comedy and fukkery :wow:

I mean the whole Alien Invasion arc was spectacular, but Dandadan fukkery just has me rolling :russ:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Man, the whole game arc is Dandadan back like how it was in terms of peak comedy and fukkery :wow:

I mean the whole Alien Invasion arc was spectacular, but Dandadan fukkery just has me rolling :russ:
It's wild how seamless the tone shifts are without feeling out of place. You'll go from cracking up to tearing up within an arc. I hope Vamola gets reunited with the granny crew soon.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Caught up with my Reread of Dandadan. Honestly, this reread makes how Dandadan has been executed. I will rate what I think of part 1/act 1. Since the series has Plenty of legs to go forward.

• Art - 10/10
    • Simply put, the art is beautiful. I read monthly series like Dark Gathering, Ragna Crimson, Wistoria. As well as manga that are author artist are split like Oshi no Ko, Akane-Banashi and SLF. All which have high-quality art. The fact that Dandadan is at a level above this while Tatsu does the art and story is absolutely insane. He clearly loves his work.
  • Story - 7/10
    • Tbh the actual story is still very much in the cards. It has been mostly Momo and Okarun visiting Occult spots. Then it turns to a journey of Okarun finding his balls, which is now completed. At the beginning of the series it was mentioned that the Yokai protect the world from aliens. The Yokai in general are much more seen as a 3rd party then on our cast's side. Several things to pay attention to
      • We have the Subterranean which are enemies going forward with what Momo did in the Cured House arc.
      • We have Vamola and the Sumerians. Now that the Sumerians are alive, how do they interact with the gang?
      • Kur was the group that invaded earth during the Alien Invasion arc. They are the closest that we have so far to antagonists in the series.
      • Along with them, we have Reiko Kashima, who is beyond OP as the strongest Yokai. Much like the readers, she grew a fondness of Okarun and Momo's relationship. She really is the wild card.
      • The biggest mystery is Count Saint-Germain. He feels set up to be the final boss of the series. His motives are simply to learn and seek out all of the Occult spots and everything that comes with it. Given he is seen with the Kur really makes things interesting.
  • Characters - 8.5/10
    • The characters have a lot of charm and to on that each bring their own dynamic to the group. Tatsu has able to keep most of the relevant by rotating them in each arc. I am curious how Rin and Zuma jell with the group. For each of the characters, starting with Aira we were able to understand their background and empathize with them. One minor thing is that Tatsu is too attached to his cast as Momo and Okarun got struck down once, and they were capable of making it back alive. This is probably my only real concern with the manga, but as long as Tatsu writes it in a solid manner it shouldn't be much to worry about. We still have much to learn about regarding Momo, Okarun and Seiko. I am curious if Seiko gets more focus in Act 2?
  • Paneling - 8/10
    • Dandadan the biggest strengths lies in its art. As Tatsu's uses of double spreads are powerful. Though I still feel at times, paneling can be messy, but overall gets the job done. In the recent Zuma flashback arc I did notice some fantastic uses of it in the Zuma flashback chapters. If it continues at that pace and improves, this manga can take it to another level.
  • Writing - 8/10
    • Tatsu does an impressive job, as mentioned before on being able to get the reader to relate and empathize with the cast. Okarun and Momo's plot armor which only happened once for each. So it is not a big deal so far, but the thing if it happened once it could happen again.
    • The power system of Dandadan is mostly consistent so far. At this point, our group is at the level of the Kur. Though with regarding Okarun and Zuma they are the two big hitters. As when they go all out, that's when these two can go for the kill. So far, it's very solid. Could be more well-defined, but it holds up. One interesting thing I am curious about going forward is what if Okarun goes all out an extra time like he did in the most recent arc? Turbo Granny mentioned that if he does go all out more than twice it fukks up his body. It is something I am very curious about and hope it gets explored more.
E34627-C1-CE70-4-FA6-82-F7-D61-F95-D84-C7-E.jpg

SPOILER-046-A8-D53-5249-44-E3-9960-25-E017-AAAEE3.jpg

So far, I would give Dandadan a 9/10 at this point.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Read through chapter 164.

This arc, by no surprise, will be focused on getting back Momo to normal size again. Jiji and Seiko's concern for Momo is very heartfelt. Especially Seiko thanks to Okarun and Turbo Granny.

I am very excited to see how the group dynamics jell now that Rin, Mai and Zuma (I assume) have joined the group. Mai and Aira part of talking shyt had me :dead:. Seeing how Zuma interacts with Jiji is going to be fun considering how chill and laid back Jiji is.

SPOILER_7330858D-DDF4-4AF4-9A11-8DAF9D34F486.png

SPOILER_3D103208-EB6A-425E-B4F3-5BB409FCAAD2.png

SPOILER_04E1FB36-2FAD-4DDB-8E7C-96D18E0192DF.jpg

SPOILER_3109A7CF-9854-4214-BC41-EA756ECA8E14.png

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
If Grandma doesn't know of a solution for Momo's shrunken state, then I wonder if that leaves room for alien technology to be the solution.

Mai and Aira definitely had the highlight of the chapter. It was also cool seeing the whole crew tell Momo not to leave them out next time.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Big chapter today.

When you realize the reason Seiko hit the ball was so they could have more time with Turbo Granny. Though you love that Turbo Granny is leaving with a peaceful goodbye. Really showed that she has developed a soft spot for these guys.

SPOILER_D8F92F3E-C4E0-4432-B731-806741989575.png

SPOILER_DFF18ED0-497E-42E9-9429-5EE42FAF6B2B.png

Now what does Okarun next? He is the lone member among the group that doesn't have powers anymore? Can he still see the abnormal anymore? Can be giving the Nanoskin that Sepro has could be a way for Okarun to help out? Will he take a more strategic role that Turbo Granny had?

SPOILER_C53A3DA9-5A59-4A92-A07C-9600C6740CC5.png

It hurts because this happens as they need to turn Momo back to normal size. That's life, though. You would like to be paid before the rent is due, but you get paid after its due. (Prob not the best example.)

Chapter really hitting in the feels :mjcry:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Saw the early screening for the first 3 episodes man this adaptation has me even more excited than I was already. The interview before the content was really interesting. Hearing Tatsu, his editors, the leads' VA's and the director gushing about manga. But also saying how they want to bring the manga itself to life. Giving the viewer an experience that respects the experience of the manga.

The first 3 episodes were adapted well. It is so dynamic. Can't wait to see more come October.