Damn, looks like Phil Spencer has officially accepted defeat from Sony. Says Starfield won’t change shyt

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The whole “making good games isn’t going to make a difference for us” line should be a red flag for xbox owners.

Thats exactly what happened in the 7th generation, xbox made good games and got good exclusive deals and they were owning sony, sony came back because of stuff like MGS4 and Uncharted.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
24b9ea16ed88bed3188a4e6f6bea5032.gif

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
he's saying the regardless of how good a game is, it's probably not gonna be enough to pull people away from another ecosystem. I'm sure Sony Stans agree

people willing to buy more than one console are a different situation
The multi-console owners are exactly who he's talking to and the lack of reason to own an Xbox of any kind is the reason we keep having this conversation.

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I understand their pivot into providing services, but video game platforms are built on high quality games. If you don’t have the games to drive people in who the fukk cares about your platform. For the head of Xbox to say this is just…off putting. Kind of makes you really think what is the point of having an Xbox.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
No, because i bought a 360 and it was my main console for the majority of that generation
but you probably also owned a PS3

he also makes the point about people building their digital library last gen, and how they're entrenched in that because backwards compatibility is now standard

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Also, he is right about one thing and its been stated on here before…Microsoft shyt the bed last generation and its going to have long term consequences for the future. That was the generation where people started building their digital libraries and yeah, people are becoming more entrenched into their 8th gen eco systems going into this current one.

But it still circles back to quality games, they didn’t put any out last generation, their stans argued in defense of them to their own detriment. if they had put the pressure on microsoft like they’re doing now they wouldn’t be so far behind and they aren’t going to close the gap until they put out big quality games to get people talking, whether they focus on xcloud, gamepass, pc, or mobile, you still need good games.

Both sides are hurting for quality games.

PS5 has been collecting dust

Yall can say this, but its all anecdotal. We already have examples of sony and nintendo putting out big games and what thats doing for their platforms, yall are not being objective when you say this. You not liking god of war, or horizon, or gt7, doesn’t mean everything is even Steven. Sony is putting out big games, even if yall try to downplay them as cross-gen, or “forgotten” they get people talking about them.

Same with Nintendo, they manage to stay in the zeitgeist with Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, and even b-tier franchises like Kirby and Metroid.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I understand their pivot into providing services, but video game platforms are built on high quality games. If you don’t have the games to drive people in who the fukk cares about your platform. For the head of Xbox to say this is just…off putting. Kind of makes you really think what is the point of having an Xbox.
he says if Starfield is an 11/10. is that not considered a high quality game?

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I want to admit that I was wrong.

In the past, I said Phil was a good leader for Xbox. He's not. The strategy that he set out is the reason that they are in the space they are in today and were unable to reverse fortune from the Xbox One generation since he believes that it was/is an impossible task.

Nintendo turned around the WiiU failure with great games for the Switch.

Sony turned around the poor PS3 launch with consistently great titles in the latter half of PS3 years and continued the momentum with PS4.

PS5 is doing well not just because of continuity, it's doing well because it launched with games and they have continued to release quality games at a good rate.

There are many people in the console space who view new generations as fresh starts. Anecdotally, I have a few friends who switched from Xbox One to PS5 since they felt Xbox wasn't doing enough. A huge part of the market doesn't care about their old console's digital libraries as they don't go back and play old games.

Xbox console owners or supporters should feel smacked in the face with the last answer in the Kinda Funny Xcast interview. One of the interviewers asked about the console experience and Phil basically replied thats the console isn't our focus. The console portion of the Xbox platform is just one of the aspects of their strategy so you kinda just get what you get.

I really can't believe he said that thing about games not changing the situation. The games are everything. It's really that simple, it's about the games.

Bring back J Allard and Peter Moore.