Dak is out, but we in the Fields of play- Dallas Cowboys 2020 season thread

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Contrary to Dak stans I don't think duke is awful just not good enough for the money he wants. I think its easier to find a average QB and build the rest of the team then pay him 40 or whatever high ass amount he seems to want and fix the team. I'm team let him walk and live with the consequences long term.

I see the fans think like the owner

Daps
Dak doesn't want $40......he just wants a shorter deal for 4 years instead of 5+ years. Jerry doesn't want him to get less than 5 years because he wants to spread the hit around and have more financial flexibility in case future restructures are needed.

Dak is going to have to come off the $37.5 or whatever he wants. I think he can get Jerry to agree to a 4-year deal but not at the AAV Dak is going to want. Rayne Dakota has to decide if flexibility or $$$ is more important because Jones isn't giving him both.

Also keep in mind that Jerral Wayne probably feels like he got burnt by Zeke and Jaylon (a little bit by Tank but not nearly as bad). He needs to feel like he's "won" the negotiating battle. He should have extended Dak earlier and let Zeke holdout. Pay Tank but should not have paid Jaylon. Problem is that Jaylon went from looking pretty solid to just falling off a cliff. Some (most) of that is Jaylon but we don't have DT's up front to protect the LB's. Linemen can get to the second level too easily on our LB's.

Daps
The general thinking among many Cowboys fans is that we let Dak walk...or trade him for assets. Then we either draft a QB or sign a mid-tier free agent. With the cost savings, we'd plug the extra money into the defense with good FA signings and then supplement our offensive line and defense through the draft.

Problem #1 = QB's that are solid/good/very good are hard to come by. A high/mid draft pick for QB is another potential defensive playmaker that slips through to another team.

Problem #2 = Free agents are poor value unless they are young & cheap. Top-shelf free agents that can actually impact the defense......you end up paying for what they are at the time you sign them, based on what they have already done........not on what they WILL DO. After the first year or two, you're saddled with an expensive player that is likely declining and may not be easy to dump. QB is an exception along with certain offensive line positions as these guys can have prolonged peaks. QB's don't seem to start peaking until their 30's nowadays.

Dak or no Dak.......Boys need to get that defense up to snuff. Not just drafting but actually hitting on the picks.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
As much as we debate on who we want the Cowboys to keep and who to let go the truth is as long as Jerry is running things we will continue to be a mid-tier team. The old man needs to fall back and hire a youngish GM who can identify talent. But we all know that has a slim to none chance of happening as long as he owns the team.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
if Dallas is ever going to be forward thinking... they gotta draft 1 of these QB's. and spread money for parts. Goff got a bowl. Just remember that

rookie contract QB with weapons is just fine for the NFL as long as the team is built right in other places. Picking at number 10 is now or never..

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We need to draft Fields. We might not even need to move up to get him. He might fall to us at 10.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
We need to draft Fields. We might not even need to move up to get him. He might fall to us at 10.

Trey Lance is better.. trust me

And I like Fields, but Trey intangibles like scrambling is a million times better