Da fukk. Japan government just stopped using Floppy disks???!

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Legacy systems probably still in use

I interned at a civil engineering company as a teenager and one of my “tasks” was to literally copy/transfer hundreds of floppy disks files to CD disks. shyt was boring af but they were basically getting rid of systems

You would be surprised how much old shyt is still being used just simply because thats how they been doing shyt and if its not broke they don’t try to fix it.

Companies that still be using giant ass, industrial dot-matrix printers whos software still looks like DOS and shyt

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Reminds me of this post I read yesterday:

levelsio knows their shyt too.

Lowkey that stuff about web and apis, it now makes sense why some of their websites look so old and have so many problems.

I get mad all the time at Square Enix's web site and store. Also why tf can't I bring my FFXIV character to the Steam platform of the game?!

That probably explains it. It is somewhat good though: you don't want to get too stupid with API calls, keep as much local as possible.

That said, China has lapped Japan so bad it's not even funny.

Many Asian countries don't look at Japan as some "shining example" of what to be. They're not the role model of the region at all and why you have many Asian countries and much of the Oceania continent on the fence regarding Western influence. 80 years after WW2 and those Asian countries aren't doing so great vs what some of these other Asian countries have done for themselves.

Last edited:

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
Legacy systems probably still in use

I interned at a civil engineering company as a teenager and one of my “tasks” was to literally copy/transfer hundreds of floppy disks files to CD disks. shyt was boring af but they were basically getting rid of systems

You would be surprised how much old shyt is still being used just simply because thats how they been doing shyt and if its not broke they don’t try to fix it.

Companies that still be using giant ass, industrial dot-matrix printers whos software still looks like DOS and shyt
Damn I just remembered my old mac my pops bought in the late 90s/early2000s that had a gang of disks for the install and I remember that shyt being annoying as hell I can’t imagine having yo copy hundreds :dead:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Damn I just remembered my old mac my pops bought in the late 90s/early2000s that had a gang of disks for the install and I remember that shyt being annoying as hell I can’t imagine having yo copy hundreds :dead:
Yeah it was boxes of this dusty ass shyt that they had in the back that were basically just records of shyt they did in the past

I wouldnt be surprised if floppy discs are still being used by our own government still

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
Used to work in a semiconductor fab and some of the super old toolsets still used floppy disks for recipe uploads. Too cost prohibitive to upgrade them but wasteful to get rid of working equipment even if it's old, so they'd keep them. I bet a lot of the fresh grads were seeing floppies for the first time :lolbron:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Used to work in a semiconductor fab and some of the super old toolsets still used floppy disks for recipe uploads. Too cost prohibitive to upgrade them but wasteful to get rid of working equipment even if it's old, so they'd keep them. I bet a lot of the fresh grads were seeing floppies for the first time :lolbron:
Facts

And these aren’t tech companies or shyt like that

This be industrial type companies or just regular office/administrative bullshyt that they just don’t want to upgrade

They even contract out the repairs of that shyt or something. I worked for a “tech” company in Atlanta that did that bullshyt…

They actually flew me out to Warsaw Indiana just to “train” how to fix that type of garbage. fukking really disliked that job

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Years ago I saw a post on Reddit that the US government nuclear systems still run on decades old technology.

Apparently it's a security thing where it's safer.
This is true too. Old tech does have it's use cases.

Sometimes real simple means less problems. Look at cars.

Use the best tool for the job.

Last edited:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Wait until heads find out that you have to handwrite your resume and job application to a employer :francis:

Japan is like that dope dealing murderer, hustler, baller, gangster, shot caller that relives the glory days of the 80s, while the rest of the hood moved onto crypto.

Man's got the gall to talk about selling crack in a b boy suit, when dealers trying to do real estate.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
IBM_AS-400_9406-730.jpg
CRTUSRPRF-Additional.png

shyt like this is still being used in the US right now :beli:

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
Lemme find out Japan is the capital of tech debt.

:russ:

They have those people working 18+ hour days to increase profitability and production but won't upgrade important technical systems that are 25 years overdue for a data format change?

:mjlol:

Why did they need PR or an announcement? It's like declaring your wife finally lost 250lbs, that aint something to be proud of its something to be embarrassed by.

Last edited:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They still use a lot of fax machines and cash is heavily used. I had a Japanese client for advertising and usually a wrap up report here is like 5 slides max for a regular campaign but Japanese client is used to literally a 30 page word document with every little detail and chart. It was fukkin stupid.