"Cyberpunk 2077" (New DLC "Phantom Liberty" | (9/26)

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
So this is based off a table top game made by a black man, Mike Pondsmith :ohhh:

Which is why I'm :dead: at people talking about the trailer looks generic.

Everything that people have taken for granted in cyberpunk and/or dystopian video games, this guy fathered 30 years ago.

So yeah....saying this is generic is basically holding it against him that everyone bit off his creations.

Fred.

CrossBones

Louder than words
Daps
Reppin
Vice City
Which is why I'm :dead: at people talking about the trailer looks generic.

Everything that people have taken for granted in cyberpunk and/or dystopian video games, this guy fathered 30 years ago.

So yeah....saying this is generic is basically holding it against him that everyone bit off his creations.

Fred.

When I was in the 6-7 grade I played the pen and paper role playing game, Rifts. It was full of cybernetics, demons, a razed earth, the occult, an alien intelligence conspiracy, savage wasteland gangs, warrior women slaves, sacrificial magic, and everything else that parents didn't want their kids to mess with. But Cyberpunk? That was a game that was made for adults. Its reputation for mature content had more to do with how it dealt with player characters and their relation to the world they live in, rather than just some sort of power fantasy. It was known for mixing in drama, crime noir, ultra violence, dark humor, technology, and even failed romance for the PCs.

You couldn't get a happy ending in that game and it wasn't even the point. Game Masters were encouraged to just plant a bomb under the bed of the character or set him up for a hit if he got too big. That was the world your dude lived in. You were pushed and nudged into making someone that would exist inside of that scummy world (which closely mirrors our current day society. That was the point of the whole genre). It was like living in a punk rock world. But on heavier drugs and bigger guns.

Everything Pondsmith did for his RPG made it a more fleshed out and interesting game than most, from its handling of street politics, the blood thirsty cops/mercenaries who are shellshocked and run wild, to the all-ruling corporations who sit in their luxury skyscrapers thinking of new ways to go to war and exploit people.

Cyberpunk dealt with things like humanism, what it will look like when the beginning of the end of society happens, the increasing violence inside of the inner city, the ruin and mockery of controlled media via the internet, the continued idol worship of pop icons, underground anti-culture, empty consumerism dreams, the invasion of technology on the psyche, the dehumanization of people, corrupt cops, wealthy body modifiers and their vanity taken to its extreme, corporate domination of the free world, and punk rock music. Salute to Pondsmith, I have faith in that this isn't going to be for everyone, but I do look forward to playing it.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Has it been confirmed that it's going to be a first person cam?

tenor.gif

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
GOAT devs crushing the gaming corporate greed buildings again...:banderas:

Only game that's a day 1 cop...
Yes it's commendable, but at the same time they are benefiting from the relatively low wages for tech/developers in their country.

Salaries are way low compared to America, so they have much less motivation to add DRM amd microtransactions.

They automatically have more profit up front, so they can make these "pro-consumer" stands for PR. Not to mention they own the "no drm" store so their profits are automatically more than every one else.

With that said. I'm super excited about the game and will purchase it the same way I purchase most games.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes it's commendable, but at the same time they are benefiting from the relatively low wages for tech/developers in their country.

Salaries are way low compared to America, so they have much less motivation to add DRM amd microtransactions.

They automatically have more profit up front, so they can make these "pro-consumer" stands for PR. Not to mention they own the "no drm" store so their profits are automatically more than every one else.

With that said. I'm super excited about the game and will purchase it the same way I purchase most games.
I don't know about all that but I know they get a financial aid from the government

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Why tf they show it 5 years ago then?

To announce the game.

There was 4 years between The Witcher 2 & 3, this ain't really out of the ordinary for this studio.

Fred.