Cuba sees biggest protests for decades as pandemic adds to woes

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I'm amazed at all the juelzing and romanticizing both sides have towards Cuba. I've come across South Florida Cubans calling for arms, and starting a revolt. So it's either the US does nothing, and that's taken as a support of Communism, or they support a regime change and get blamed later on for any short comings of Cuba. Are we going back to 60s style clandestine proxy wars?

Poor leadership, a refusal to pivot away from total Marxism, and COVID is what's crippled the island. It's decades of allowing infrastructure to decay, because its easy to blame the embargo, when they have the ability to trade with the rest of the world. Its ran by dinosaurs who haven't done a thing to move Cuba towards what the other countries have done. And I'm not defending communism in Asia, but they moved away from being completely Marxist. Even when other communist nations moved towards a semi capitalist model, the island on some twisted Cold War ideology, refused to change. Lifting the embargo wont fix their problems.

On the right side of things, the embargo has done what they anticipated it would 70 years ago, and that meant bleeding out the communist over time. But it's convenient to say they have no right to govern, even though the revolution was fought for and backed by MANY Cubans at the time. Fast forward to now, and from everything I've seen, the South Florida community isn't asking for free elections. They want the communist completely gone. I can't blame their hate towards communist, but this isn't freedom per say. In other countries, both side have been represented in elections. It sounds like they're willing to go through a civil war.

There are a ton of South Florida families waiting to go back and claim what was taken from them in the 50s, they're motivated to finally see a communist overthrow. The embargo should've been lifted a long time ago, but now if Cuba get's support? Why not Hong Kong?

They can't trade with fukking anyone and USA is letting china fukk em in the ass and they were communist. Ignore actual facts and type 4 paragraphs of drivel, brehs.

ADevilYouKhow

Rhyme Reason
Daps
Reppin
got a call for three nines
This is why I know you share articles without reading.

The article even pointed out that life was better when the USSR was around, there was more racial harmony in the country because the economy was doing well:

You need to stop linking articles you don’t read.
I read the article multiple times. Your argument doesn’t make any sense.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
lmfao so Cuban needs to be heavily subsidized by a world power to have racial harmony? What the fukk is your point? That was then and we are talking about now.
I can tell that you do not understand what the US embargo on Cuba means. If you want to have a legit conversation on this, read up on that first.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As I pointed out in another thread, the dissent structure in Cuba was created and developed by the U.S. over the last 60 or so years. While I'm sure the Cuban people have real grievances against their government: (1) the U.S. has substantially worsened things in Cuba due to the brutal sanctions we have on the nation; (2) the pandemic is the biggest contributor, outside of the U.S. sanctions to these protests and; (3) the American focus on Cuba is so hypocritical its embarrassing. Watching as every major news organization in the U.S. ignored the mass protests in Haiti for years, which had a U.S.-backed government, while putting a spotlight on substantially smaller protests in Cuba (some of which are led by groups being paid through USAID), is sickening.

Hopefully the Cuban government holds strong, loosens a few of its restrictions, avoids an unnecessary crackdown, and garners support from China or another large world-power that isn't going to bend at the waist for the U.S.

Curioser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The article even pointed out that life was better when the USSR was around, there was more racial harmony in the country because the economy was doing well:
:mjlol: What does that even mean? Racial relations are bad in Cuba?!? :heh: I try not to even comment on this type of stuff with Americans as theres always the tendency to project US problems onto to Cuba but there is literally no comparison. I mean…. There are more black doctors , lawyers politicians businessman, military leaders on and on…

while US is pulling down statue we have this:

DSC_1655.jpg
D1129_14_676_1200.jpg

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
:mjlol: What does that even mean? Racial relations are bad in Cuba?!? :heh: I try not to even comment on this type of stuff with Americans as theres always the tendency to project US problems onto to Cuba but there is literally no comparison. I mean…. There are more black doctors , lawyers politicians businessman, military leaders on and on…

while US is pulling down statue we have this:

DSC_1655.jpg
D1129_14_676_1200.jpg
Idk what the racial situation is like in Cuba. I was only using the writers words to disprove the nonsense about the US blockade not meaning anything on the country’s economic conditions.

Scientific

Bacdafucup
Daps
Reppin
The H
They can't trade with fukking anyone and USA is letting china fukk em in the ass and they were communist. Ignore actual facts and type 4 paragraphs of drivel, brehs.
You can trade with Cuba. :snoop:

You only proved my point. Both sides take whatever narrative they want.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7954883002

said:
Embargo doesn't apply to all countries, companies
The U.S. has maintained a comprehensive economic embargo on Cuba since the 1960s, preventing most American companies from doing business on the island and vice versa. The sanctions do not force other countries and non-U.S. companies to cut ties with Cuba, although they incentivize it.

"Only in the 1960s and 1980s was the U.S. able to demand and enforce a unilateral trade embargo against Cuba from its own trading partners in the world," Guerra said.

After the Castro regime formally aligned itself with the Soviet Union, the U.S. attempted to isolate Cuba from other nations by ousting it from the Organization of American States (OAS), an international group of countries in the Western Hemisphere. In 1964, the body voted to require all member nations to impose political and economic sanctions on Cuba. Mexico was the only country that resisted.

The OAS lifted those sanctions in 1975, after which countries closely aligned with the U.S., including Canada, started trading with Cuba.

As of 2019, Spain, China and Italy were among Cuba's top trading partners. Even some American companies, including Marriott and United Airlines, have done business in Cuba over the past few years, although the Trump administration unraveled several components of the detente pursued by the Obama administration.

"As far as I can tell, all kinds of companies doing business in the U.S., (like) foreign airlines, still conduct plenty of trade with Cuba," Javier Corrales, chair of the political science department at Amherst College, said in an email.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps

Scientific

Bacdafucup
Daps
Reppin
The H
The article says nations can trade with Cuba if they can withstand financial penalties from the US.

It also mentions Trump putting Cuba on the terrorize watch list, which Biden hasn’t changed.
Yall called it a blockade, which it isn't. Its a half assed embargo. Nations have traded and continued to conduct business there, what realistic penalties have been levied? It should be lifted on that alone. Before covid I saw vacation packages to Havana.

Yall only proved my point. this pro/anti communist rehotric is some twisted relic of the past. Lift the embargo, and let the people on the island decide what they want. South Florida be damned. It's tiring to hear that community act entitled while they let their compatriots suffer. On the other end, quit using the embargo as an excuse. The government didn't do themselves any favors. After the fall of the USSR.

The terrorist watch list? No one realistically believed that. So who's pushing for it here Stateside? I don't inject theories. But I do agree with this, it's not a coincidence that White Cuban Americans are the ones pulling the strings for the people of color on the island.

Last edited: