Creed 2 Thread

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I gotta disagree with both of you. I initially felt the same way but after thinking about it for a while and then seeing the trailer, this is "creative" in the sense that its the logical next step for a character's journey. He wanted to prove he belonged so the logical next step is proving you're better, which is why you have that scene with moms telling him not to front like this is about his dad; this is about him. He's not trying to avenge his dad, like I previously thought; he wants to prove he's the better man and can do the one thing his dad couldn't do. He can win titles just like his dad, he can make money just like his dad, and he can raise a family just like his dad. But beating a Drago? That's a mountain Apollo couldn't climb and if he can climb that mountain, he will feel like he's the better man.

All that anger and resentment at a parent in that particular situation doesn't just go away. And Stallone has always been a thoughtful filmmaker. Yeah he gets a rep as a big lug and a guy who does a lot for paychecks or just abused his power back in the day, but when it comes to character shyt, he's normally on point. The Drago thing, at least to my knowledge, started with him and I'm sure the writers and director and even Coogler as a producer helped tailor it and get it to the point where everyone was happy with it.

I don't really disagree, however, that is similar to Rocky's journey in IV. And you could also argue that Creed falls under Balboa's theme in wanting to get from under the shadow of a giant. You are correct in that the Rocky films are about the characters journey, and the next logical step but they also don't stray from what works. What I do love that's different about Creed is that his attitude and motivation are completely different than Rocky, which is where your points are really emphasized.

But he still needs a better score to take this film to the next level. He needs a theme

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
Yeah that's the one staple of the Rocky franchise that has endured, through bad and good movies: the fighting choreography. Every movie, even Rocky V, has beautiful fights
I wouldn't say every Rocky movie had beautiful fights. Me being a huge boxing fan some of the fight choreography from the earlier movies was laughable :mjlol:

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
so rock is playing the role of mick in this movie from rocky 3 saying young creed can't beat drago the same ray rocky couldn't beat clubber

"he aint gonna kiss you, he gonna kill you" :banderas: