"Creative" stuff yall working on?(writing, art, games, music, construction, cooking, gardening, etc)

shadowking

All Star
Daps

( @videogamestashbox.com take this seriously)

Tomi Adeyemi (@tadeyemibooks) • Instagram photos and videos

The books is called children of blood and bone.

Children+Of+Blood+And+Bone

Fox 2000, Macmillan Land African Flavored Fantasy Novel ‘Children Of Blood And Bone’ In Splashy Deal

Fox 2000, Macmillan Land African Flavored Fantasy Novel ‘Children Of Blood And Bone’ In Splashy Deal

EXCLUSIVE: In a remarkable pair of deals for a debut author who is just 23, Fox 2000 has just made a preemptive acquisition of Children of Blood and Bone, the first installment of a fantasy novel trilogy by Tomi Adeyemi that will spawn a trilogy. Temple Hill’s Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey are producing with Karen Rosenfelt. Word is this deal landed at or near seven-figures, and so did a whopping publishing deal that just closed at Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, with both deals brokered by ICM Partners.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
( @videogamestashbox.com take this seriously)

Tomi Adeyemi (@tadeyemibooks) • Instagram photos and videos

The books is called children of blood and bone.

EXCLUSIVE: In a remarkable pair of deals for a debut author who is just 23, Fox 2000 has just made a preemptive acquisition of Children of Blood and Bone, the first installment of a fantasy novel trilogy by Tomi Adeyemi that will spawn a trilogy. Temple Hill’s Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey are producing with Karen Rosenfelt. Word is this deal landed at or near seven-figures, and so did a whopping publishing deal that just closed at Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, with both deals brokered by ICM Partners.

How she got a deal and the book aint even out? :gucci:

shadowking

All Star
Daps

This is what I mean by a serious product. Beta tests matter so that users can critique your work

Nioh Beta Brief Review
Team Ninja’s upcoming game Nioh just finished an open beta period on the PS4. The game is set in feudal Japan, where you play as William, a European who has traveled to the East to hunt down a certain man. There are cinematic cutscenes that tell the story, as well as voice lines from fallen soldiers who’s gear William can pick up as he moves through the landscape, fighting hostile soldiers and demonic yokai. The game is also loosely based in history. The character William is most likely based on William Adams, a European sailor who was shipwrecked on Japan and ultimately made a samurai. Other historical figures make appearances, such as Hattori Hanzo, and important deities and spirits from Japanese folklore and mythology. Each area has some fairly detailed text about its background, or some piece of culture behind it. Whether or not these facts are true or false, seeing more games use a fantastical setting to inspire real interest in a different culture is exciting.

Mechanically, Nioh is a direct descendant of Dark Souls, with shrines replacing bonfires, amrita for souls, and a brutally difficult stamina based combat system. Unlike some other Souls-like games, however, Nioh builds and adds to this framework, developing the systems it borrows into something new. Each melee weapon has three stances, high, middle, and low, that all have unique animations. The stances are geared for offense, neutral, and defense respectively, and the game does a good job of encouraging the use of all three to be most effective. Stamina has also had an overhaul. When the stamina bar is depleted, there is a brief window of opportunity before it fully restores to time a button press to instantly regain a large part of the stamina used. Mastery of this system, which the game calls a Ki Pulse, adds a new dimension to combat that keeps things fast paced and tense, especially because running out of stamina leaves you vulnerable to enemy attacks for an extended period.

The third major change to gameplay from the Dark Souls ‘formula’ is the existence of skill trees that add magic and ninjutsu to the game, but also melee attack combos that deal extra damage in fixed bursts or affect how your character moves and deals damage. This skill tree also ties into the guardian spirit system. The player can choose a guardian spirit, who offers certain passive bonuses depending on the player’s level and skills. The spirit also has a meter that builds over time, and when it is full the player can enter a mode called Living Weapon. While in this mode, the player does not take damage and deals much more damage for a short time. If (when) the player dies, the guardian spirit stays with their grave marker, which also holds all of their amrita held when they died. If the player can make it back to this marker, the spirit and amrita will return. If they cannot, the spirit will return, but the amrita will be lost. The guardian spirit can also be recalled from shrines at any time, but all amrita will be instantly lost.

I had not had the chance to play Nioh before this beta, and while I did not get to play as much of it as I would have liked, I am extremely excited to see how the final product will turn out. It is set to be extremely challenging, but also highly rewarding, with a story less obtuse than that of any of the Dark Souls games

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
Hey all, some new pictures from y game. I've just gotten to stage-1 of my new cel shade material, any questions on how its done with UE4 textures, normals etc, ask away!

WITH CEL SHADE APPLIED
23376953_1971327349547430_695153182_o.png

23335655_1971327316214100_33589301_o.png

23377241_1971327242880774_176527493_o.png

23314296_1971327236214108_274599714_o.png

WITHOUT CEL SHADER

23314202_1971327229547442_1876015232_o.png

23314387_1971327216214110_1771262605_o.png

It looks like they are still using "materials" as in unreal engine 3. :patrice:

UE3 materials:
ex_sss_preview.jpg

ex_sss.jpg

When you say "cell shading" do you mean you created your own cell shaded textures, normal(light) maps, etc in photoshop?

Then create a material in Unreal Engine 4 using those assets?

ex_bumpoffset_tex.jpg

Or do you mean cell shading as in taking materials already in the engine and moving sliders / adding extra stock effects until you acquired the desired effect?:jbhmm:

ex_bumpoffset.jpg

My focus is...
  • gameplay design/balancing,
  • programming,
  • development pipeline efficiancy,
  • general project management.
So I don't touch writers & artist much outside of making sure their work is in sync with the overall project. :hubie: Closest might be level design cause that is tied to gameplay.
I.E. when you say "cell shading" I'm not immediately sure what goes into that(yes, I do know what cell shading is) cause my focus is typically on other things like A.I. and physics.

Last edited:

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
It looks like they are still using "materials" as in unreal engine 3. :patrice:

UE3 materials:
ex_sss_preview.jpg

ex_sss.jpg

When you say "cell shading" do you mean you created your own cell shaded textures, normal(light) maps, etc in photoshop?

Then create a material in Unreal Engine 4 using those assets?

ex_bumpoffset_tex.jpg

Or do you mean cell shading as in taking materials already in the engine and moving sliders / adding extra stock effects until you acquired the desired effect?:jbhmm:

ex_bumpoffset.jpg

My focus is...
  • gameplay design/balancing,
  • programming,
  • development pipeline efficiancy,
  • general project management.
So I don't touch writers & artist much outside of making sure their work is in sync with the overall project. :hubie: Closest might be level design cause that is tied to gameplay.
I.E. when you say "cell shading" I'm not immediately sure what goes into that(yes, I do know what cell shading is) cause my focus is typically on other things like A.I. and physics.

I'm doing the latter. THOUGH HOWEVER, do note. that I can and have made an actual cel shader texture. But I wanted it to have a graphic novel feel to it, so I went with the filter instead. and yes, UE4 uses the same style materials (it even has that same interface too, i started with UE4).

As you do physics...i could do with some help on these vehicles breh.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
I see what you mean by the "graphic novel" look on that second picture.:patrice:
What's the prob with the vehicle physics? :jbhmm:

Motorbikes...just all of it. Ain't even sure where to start regarding unreal 4. Even staring at the advanced vehicle c++ has me wanting to scream. And I thought A.I was bad (did it for my final project).

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Funny thing is C++ is reason number 2 I haven't touched UE4 yet. UE1-3 used "unreal script"(sorta like a java & C++ mix)
There was a C++ layer for "native functions" I.E. routines they needed fast execution on. Only prob is that in UE1-3 you have to be a licenced developer to have access to that part of the code base.

I actually have a project that's damn near complete called "unreal universe" that I stalled on cause I can't place the characters I want on each level because the execution chain goes down into the C++ layer where I can't see the code I need to reference(have some of the headers and descriptions tho).

Anyway(some of these maybe redundant but it's late and i'm sleepy so :francis:)
  • So I take it there is vehicle physics code that needs to be expanded?
  • Is there a working vehicle in the source code / stock UE4 download?
  • Are you able to make a working stock instance of either the given vehicles or your motorcycle using the stock(parent class) code?
  • Are you looking to layer functionalities on top of the parent class or create an entirely new vehicle subsystem?
  • Are you trying to add subtle touches like the rider & bike leaning or are you just trying to make the bike move at all?
:jbhmm:

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
Funny thing is C++ is reason number 2 I haven't touched UE4 yet. UE1-3 used "unreal script"(sorta like a java & C++ mix)
There was a C++ layer for "native functions" I.E. routines they needed fast execution on. Only prob is that in UE1-3 you have to be a licenced developer to have access to that part of the code base.

I actually have a project that's damn near complete called "unreal universe" that I stalled on cause I can't place the characters I want on each level because the execution chain goes down into the C++ layer where I can't see the code I need to reference(have some of the headers and descriptions tho).

Anyway(some of these maybe redundant but it's late and i'm sleepy so :francis:)
  • So I take it there is vehicle physics code that needs to be expanded? Yes, there's the standard one for the advanced vehicle template that's already in place. you can get it with any project.
  • Is there a working vehicle in the source code / stock UE4 download? above
  • Are you able to make a working stock instance of either the given vehicles or your motorcycle using the stock(parent class) code? This is the current aim right now, though its my first time really looking into vehicles.
  • Are you looking to layer functionalities on top of the parent class or create an entirely new vehicle subsystem? Ideally, i'd like to make a new vehicle subsystem, but obviously that comes with practice and knowing how it's setup first.
  • Are you trying to add subtle touches like the rider & bike leaning or are you just trying to make the bike move at all? Yes, ideally.
:jbhmm:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

That tutorial doesn't look necessary/relevant to what your doing(right now atleast). I'm looking at the following instead...:jbhmm:

:ufdup: Introduction to Vehicles in UE4 Playlist - Epic Wiki

1. Overview and Car Setup
  2. Tuning: Top Speed and Acceleration
  3. Tuning: Handling and Friction
  4. Tuning: Shocks and Moment of Inertia
NOTE: I hate doing so much in the editor.:scust: I'm use to doing it all in raw code.
(it almost looks like they changed out unreal script for this "visual scripting" architecture ...what do they call it now "blue print?")

Before there was...
  1. C++ - layer for native(critical) engine code.
  2. Unreal script - layer for game code.
  3. Visual scripting - layer for artist who didn't know how to code.
Now it looks like...
  1. C++ - layer for native(critical) engine code.
  2. Visual scripting - layer for game code & artist who don't know how to code.

I'm fine with C++ but still. Hope the game code is reflected in the C++ code as well :lupe: ...no it has to be reflected. The visual scripting was always simply a way to call preexisting code in unreal script anyway.:whew:

I'd much rather look at the base vehicle code in C++ than watch these V.S. videos.:francis:

Last edited: