COVID-19 Pandemic (Coronavirus)

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Once again: if he were suggesting "no change" then there would be no point of the vaccine roll-out would there. He wouldn't be having a press conference in the first place, other than to say "it ain't gonna work".

C'mon now.

When reading it, if you are in doubt about which "new", you then factor in context clues, innit.

You really have no idea where you're posting, do you? :mjlol:

No, your edit wouldn't be necessary for most adults with functioning brains but TLR is notorious for taking everything out of context. A lot of posters intentionally mislead people to troll and/or for attention. Which isn't you, I'm familiar with your post history. But if you made a thread saying what you did...."10 years", "this is the new normal"....I guarantee people wouldn't watch the video and would take it as some doom and gloom type shyt.

Fred.

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Covid: New variant found ‘due to hard work of UK scientists’

A new variant of the virus causing Covid-19, first spotted in Kent, could already be circulating - or have originated from - outside the UK.

But it was spotted here because of the strength of the UK's surveillance system, scientists have said.

The Covid-19 Genomics Consortium (Cog-UK) has tracked the genetic history of more than 150,000 samples of Sars-Cov-2 virus.

That equates to about half the world's genetic sequencing of coronavirus.

Prof Sharon Peacock, head of Cog-UK, said the UK's high level of genomic surveillance meant "if you're going to find something anywhere, you're going to find it probably here first".

The virus's genetic code is its instruction manual telling it how to operate.

As it replicates, small mistakes or changes get introduced. The useful ones are likely to help the virus spread more quickly from person to person, and so become more common.

Sequencing the virus's genome allows scientists to see how it is changing as it subtly mutates over time, and to uncover how outbreaks spread, by looking at clusters of a particular variant of the virus.

This kind of genetic detective work allowed scientists to work out that the UK's early outbreak in the spring was coming mainly from Europe rather than China, based on the variants that were circulating.

Is it only in the UK?
At the moment, we don't know who the "index case" was - the person from which the mutated version of the virus first emerged.

As a result, we don't know whether the mutation began in Kent or whether it was introduced from elsewhere, Prof Peacock said.

And we don't know whether it has already spread onwards from the UK to other countries.

Prof Tom Connor, who was involved in setting up Covid sequencing in Wales, believes it is "probable" that similar variants are emerging around the world, but they may not have been detected yet.

"We are sequencing in the UK at a disproportionate rate," he said, insisting the UK has a better surveillance system than other countries.

In order to know how far the variant has travelled or where it came from, you would need to compare notes with other countries - but comparable data very often does not exist, Prof Connor said.

For example, Public Health Wales sequenced about 4,000 genomes in the past week, more than the whole of France since the beginning of the pandemic.

This point was emphasised by Prof Ravi Gupta at the University of Cambridge, who pointed out it was "no coincidence" that an "interesting" multiple mutation had also been seen in South Africa, another country which does a lot of genomic sequencing.

Other European countries which were very quick to pick up notable mutations, Denmark and the Netherlands, also have strong surveillance systems.

Why is this mutation different?
The new variant caused alarm because it involved 23 separate mutations, 17 of which were linked to the building blocks of proteins that form the virus.

It's unusual for so many mutations to appear all at once. That makes it less likely they have happened by chance and more likely they give the virus some kind of evolutionary advantage.

"The signal is extremely stark," according to Prof Connor.

"We have a large number of lineages or variants that circulate in the UK and to see one single variant increase in the way it has, with the speed it has, is extremely unusual," he said.

Was Tier 2 too loose?
Questions have been asked over whether more relaxed restrictions in London and the South East caused the rapid spread of the new variant, or whether it was down to human behaviour.

But scientists now have "high confidence" the mutation itself has made the virus more transmissible - though not more deadly.

Prof Judith Breuer, professor of virology and co-director of the division of infection and immunity at University College London, said it could have been down to changes in behaviour alone, but "all of that has now been accounted for".

Instead, she said, increased transmissibility of the new variant was likely to be down to "biological changes to the virus".

That's not to say behaviour doesn't matter though - it continues to be a virus that thrives on human contact and social distancing remains the main - though blunt - tool for managing its spread.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
You really have no idea where you're posting, do you? :mjlol:

No, your edit wouldn't be necessary for most adults with functioning brains but TLR is notorious for taking everything out of context. A lot of posters intentionally mislead people to troll and/or for attention. Which isn't you, I'm familiar with your post history. But if you made a thread saying what you did...."10 years", "this is the new normal"....I guarantee people wouldn't watch the video and would take it as some doom and gloom type shyt.

Fred.

Finally the post was a "p.s." to my previous post (https://www.thecoli.com/posts/40288916/) where I pointed out his 60-70% herd immunity estimate but OK; I tell you what.

:salute:

I am going to assume TLR levels of "TLR'ing" from now on and post accordingly .. :troll:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Got a positive test result today. By the looks of it, this is the 2nd time I’ve had COVID.

I know exactly how I got it too:wow: long story short, anti-maskers, anti-vaccine and “legally exempt” fukking idiots.

I’m on day 9 on self isolate. Although I did have to go shopping a few days ago due to the new London lock downs messing everything up and no Christmas food deliveries being available. My girls arms are too weak to carry the shopping (we live 1 min away from the local place). So we had to do a big shop. I stay double masked up anyway.

Other than that the T4 lock down has ultimately done its job for me anyway.

Just signed up to donate blood for research since I’m in an important group (black)

You need to post this in the Lebron thread and all the other ones that allude to black people needing it first.

Last edited:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Got a positive test result today. By the looks of it, this is the 2nd time I’ve had COVID.

I know exactly how I got it too:wow: long story short, anti-maskers, anti-vaccine and “legally exempt” fukking idiots.

I’m on day 9 on self isolate. Although I did have to go shopping a few days ago due to the new London lock downs messing everything up and no Christmas food deliveries being available. My girls arms are too weak to carry the shopping (we live 1 min away from the local place). So we had to do a big shop. I stay double masked up anyway.

Just signed up to donate blood for research since I’m in an important group (black)

You need to post this in the Lebron thread and all the other ones that allude to black people needing it first.

how did you get it

Jim Cornette

The Cult of Meat with Extra Cheese...
Daps
Reppin
Australia

You can pass covid on from touch.. wtf you doin :picard:

You couldn't get super market delivery in fukking England?! :hhh:

At least you double masked... I woulda told my girl to man up. Or wait.. this means yall both have covid:hhh:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Covid: New variant found ‘due to hard work of UK scientists’

A new variant of the virus causing Covid-19, first spotted in Kent, could already be circulating - or have originated from - outside the UK.

But it was spotted here because of the strength of the UK's surveillance system, scientists have said.

The Covid-19 Genomics Consortium (Cog-UK) has tracked the genetic history of more than 150,000 samples of Sars-Cov-2 virus.

That equates to about half the world's genetic sequencing of coronavirus.

Prof Sharon Peacock, head of Cog-UK, said the UK's high level of genomic surveillance meant "if you're going to find something anywhere, you're going to find it probably here first".

The virus's genetic code is its instruction manual telling it how to operate.

As it replicates, small mistakes or changes get introduced. The useful ones are likely to help the virus spread more quickly from person to person, and so become more common.

Sequencing the virus's genome allows scientists to see how it is changing as it subtly mutates over time, and to uncover how outbreaks spread, by looking at clusters of a particular variant of the virus.

This kind of genetic detective work allowed scientists to work out that the UK's early outbreak in the spring was coming mainly from Europe rather than China, based on the variants that were circulating.

Is it only in the UK?
At the moment, we don't know who the "index case" was - the person from which the mutated version of the virus first emerged.

As a result, we don't know whether the mutation began in Kent or whether it was introduced from elsewhere, Prof Peacock said.

And we don't know whether it has already spread onwards from the UK to other countries.

Prof Tom Connor, who was involved in setting up Covid sequencing in Wales, believes it is "probable" that similar variants are emerging around the world, but they may not have been detected yet.

"We are sequencing in the UK at a disproportionate rate," he said, insisting the UK has a better surveillance system than other countries.

In order to know how far the variant has travelled or where it came from, you would need to compare notes with other countries - but comparable data very often does not exist, Prof Connor said.

For example, Public Health Wales sequenced about 4,000 genomes in the past week, more than the whole of France since the beginning of the pandemic.

This point was emphasised by Prof Ravi Gupta at the University of Cambridge, who pointed out it was "no coincidence" that an "interesting" multiple mutation had also been seen in South Africa, another country which does a lot of genomic sequencing.

Other European countries which were very quick to pick up notable mutations, Denmark and the Netherlands, also have strong surveillance systems.

Why is this mutation different?
The new variant caused alarm because it involved 23 separate mutations, 17 of which were linked to the building blocks of proteins that form the virus.

It's unusual for so many mutations to appear all at once. That makes it less likely they have happened by chance and more likely they give the virus some kind of evolutionary advantage.

"The signal is extremely stark," according to Prof Connor.

"We have a large number of lineages or variants that circulate in the UK and to see one single variant increase in the way it has, with the speed it has, is extremely unusual," he said.

Was Tier 2 too loose?
Questions have been asked over whether more relaxed restrictions in London and the South East caused the rapid spread of the new variant, or whether it was down to human behaviour.

But scientists now have "high confidence" the mutation itself has made the virus more transmissible - though not more deadly.

Prof Judith Breuer, professor of virology and co-director of the division of infection and immunity at University College London, said it could have been down to changes in behaviour alone, but "all of that has now been accounted for".

Instead, she said, increased transmissibility of the new variant was likely to be down to "biological changes to the virus".

That's not to say behaviour doesn't matter though - it continues to be a virus that thrives on human contact and social distancing remains the main - though blunt - tool for managing its spread.
Imagine investing all that money into finding a cure and finding out there’s a mutation that has rendered your vaccine obsolete

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
My job is offering me the vaccine. Leaning on taking it but not sure

Feel a little bad because I'm not in the medical field nor around a lot of people deemed "first in line"

Theo Penn

on that Earl Stevens wine
Daps

You’re positive and still out among people shopping? Get a delivery service. You’re putting others at risk unnecessarily

:stopitslime::stopitslime::stopitslime:

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
4rf8r4.jpg

4rf9be.jpg

4rf9ff.jpg