COVID-19 Pandemic (Coronavirus)

Gully Bull

Love Sponge
Daps
Reppin
A fleeting childhood
That stimulus package is going to be such a dud. They're going to have to pass one that has recurring payments.
For at least 6 months. Politicians trying to avoid people that will be going back to work getting any extra money when a lot of the smaller businesses that people work at are gonna be going through tough times til the end of the year. It’s gonna take a while for working class people to get back to where they were at pre pandemic

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Coronavirus: How scientists are tracking 8 strains of SARS-CoV-2 virus

8 strains of the coronavirus are circling the globe. Here's what clues they're giving scientists.
Elizabeth Weise
USA TODAY

coronavirus are making their way around the globe, creating a trail of death and disease that scientists are tracking by their genetic footprints.

While much is unknown, hidden in the virus's unique microscopic fragments are clues to the origins of its original strain, how it behaves as it mutates and which strains are turning into conflagrations while others are dying out thanks to quarantine measures.

Huddled in once bustling and now almost empty labs, researchers who oversaw dozens of projects are instead focused on one goal: tracking the current strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that cause the illness COVID-19.

We're sending daily coronavirus updates:Get USA TODAY's Daily Briefing in your inbox

Labs around the world are turning their sequencing machines, most about the size of a desktop printer, to the task of rapidly sequencing the genomes of virus samples taken from people sick with COVID-19. The information is uploaded to a website called NextStrain.org that shows how the virus is migrating and splitting into similar but new subtypes.

How federal health officials mislead states and derailed the best chance at containment.

The SARS-CoV-2 virus first began causing illness in China sometime between mid-November and mid-December. Its genome is made up of about 30,000 base pairs. Humans, by comparison, have more than 3 billion. So far even in the virus's most divergent strains scientists have found only 11 base pair changes.

https://eb2.3lift.com/pass?tl_click...711396307860&sid=66552&ts=1585530790&cb=15074
SPONSORED BY SES SATELLITES
Giving cruise passengers and crew members the freedom to access the Internet.
Giving cruise passengers and crew members the freedom to access the Internet at any point in their journey is critical to staying competitive. O3b mPOWER gives you the freedom to connect on the open sea, optimise ship operations and elevate the passenger experience. #EngineeringFreedom #O3bmPOWER

That makes it easy to spot new lineages as they evolve, said Chiu.

“The outbreaks are trackable. We have the ability to do genomic sequencing almost in real-time to see what strains or lineages are circulating,” he said.

So far, most cases on the U.S. West Coast are linked to a strain first identified in Washington state. It may have come from a man who had been in Wuhan, China, the virus’ epicenter, and returned home on Jan. 15. It is only three mutations away from the original Wuhan strain, according to work done early in the outbreak by Trevor Bedford, a computational biologist at Fred Hutch, a medical research center in Seattle.

On the East Coast there are several strains, including the one from Washington and others that appear to have made their way from China to Europe and then to New York and beyond, Chiu said.

Death rate soars in New Orleans coronavirus 'disaster' that could define city for generations

4c2fbe06-8219-4fea-bdfb-39a6562ce52e-UCSF_20200326_Chiu_Charles_126.jpg

Beware pretty phylogenetic trees
This isn’t the first time scientists have scrambled to do genetic analysis of a virus in the midst of an epidemic. They did it with Ebola, Zika and West Nile, but nobody outside the scientific community paid much attention.

“This is the first time phylogenetic trees have been all over Twitter,” said Kristian Andersen, a professor at Scripps Research, a nonprofit biomedical science research facility in La Jolla, California, speaking of the diagrams that show the evolutionary relationships between different strains of an organism.

What you need to know as the US becomes the new epicenter of COVID-19

Different symptoms, same strains
COVID-19 hits people differently, with some feeling only slightly under the weather for a day, others flat on their backs sick for two weeks and about 15% hospitalized. Currently, an estimated 1% of those infected die. The rate varies greatly by country and experts say it is likely tied to testing rates rather than actual mortality.

Chiu says it appears unlikely the differences are related to people being infected with different strains of the virus.

“The current virus strains are still fundamentally very similar to each other,” he said.

The COVID-19 virus does not mutate very fast. It does so eight to 10 times more slowly than the influenza virus, said Anderson, making its evolution rate similar to other coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).

It’s also not expected to spontaneously evolve into a form more deadly than it already is to humans. The SARS-CoV-2 is so good at transmitting itself between human hosts, said Andersen, it is under no evolutionary pressure to evolve.

Four dead, 138 sick on Holland America's MS Zaandam cruise in limbo amid coronavirus crisisFact check: Claim of new symptoms for COVID-19 is partly falseUS becomes the first country to reach 100,000 confirmed coronavirus cases

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
You:

Brah how the fukk could the markets not like hearing he's gonna open shyt up very soon and shortly? As opposed to months?? As i said, they liked to hear that.

Me:

1. He didn't say that. He said he would make a decision. Trump suggestive talk has you divining concrete decisions where none exist. He does it all the time
2. It breaks orthodoxy. There is a big question mark as to whether it will work. The market is unlikely to be convinced by the hunch-esque rational of one man. Especially when that flies in the face of the advice of tried and tested experts.

Risk. The market hates risk. The market hates uncertainty.

Stochastic valued future prices now need to factor in increased risk and volatility.

markets hate uncertainty - Google Search

Today:

Reporter: "Was floating Easter a mistake you think :ld: ?"

Trump: ":whoa: It was just an aspiration". "No :whoa: that was just aspirational".

Timestamped 1h34m8s

:ufdup: Trump talks like that all the time without committing. He mixes that in with other rhetorical tricks to confuse listeners.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
You:

Me:

Today:

Reporter: "Was floating Easter a mistake you think :ld: ?"

Trump: ":whoa: It was just an aspiration". "No :whoa: that was just aspirational".

Timestamped 1h34m8s

:ufdup: Trump talks like that all the time without committing. He mixes that in with other rhetorical tricks to confuse listeners.

You arguing with yourself my nikka. My only point that day has already been validated.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Morons advising morons

Epstein, a professor at New York University School of Law, published the article on the Web site of the Hoover Institution, on March 16th. In it, he questioned the World Health Organization’s decision to declare the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, said that “public officials have gone overboard,” and suggested that about five hundred people would die from covid-19 in the U.S. Epstein later updated his estimate to five thousand, saying that the previous number had been an error. So far, there have been more than two thousand coronavirus-related fatalities in America; epidemiologists’ projections of the total deaths range widely, depending on the success of social distancing and the availability of medical resources, but they tend to be much higher than Epstein’s.

Why are they listening to a law professor on epidemiological analysis? :dwillhuh:

Here is some more highlights
What did you want to achieve with your pieces?

What did I want to achieve with my pieces? First of all, I am not a politician. What I did is that I looked at the standard model that was put out in the New York Times [in an Op-Ed by Nicholas Kristof and Stuart A. Thompson, published on March 13th], which was backed up by other models in other places, and it occurred to me that I just did not think that the underlying assumptions there were sound. The single most important thing to me was not to get my own estimate of what the number is. The most important thing was to look at that curve, which seemed to suggest that there would be ten million cases a day during a ten-day or so band in the middle of July, and to explain why, in relationship to all other things I know about evolutionary theory, that this just has to be wrong. The better way to have phrased the paper would have been to say that the traditional models, which were used for the last flu season, for the 2009 H1N1 situation, are much better approximations of what is likely to happen than these rather scary kinds of projections.

You wrote last week, “In the United States, if the total death toll increases at about the same rate, the current 67 deaths should translate into about 500 deaths at the end.” We are currently at eight hundred deaths—over eight hundred deaths. [This was true when we spoke; the number is now over two thousand.]

First of all, let me just say I wrote an amendment to that, the thing I regret most in that whole paper. But I was not so much interested in explaining why my number was right. I was interested in explaining why the other projections were wrong.

:why:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Early May at the latest is my prediction for when they start relaxing the quarantine, the vulnerable will be advised to stay home until June though probably. I think social venue will be shut for a while though but they will allow us to go to work and shyt out of necessity.
Folks forgetting how long one month will feel under these conditions by the last week of April people gonna start applying pressure to relax this a bit :ld:
Depends on the severity i think we will start seeing some of the other states who aren’t takin this serious get spikes in numbers the next few weeks