Coronavirus Thread: Worldwide Pandemic

invincible1914

G.O.M.A.B.
Daps
Reppin
LSU, Saints, Alcorn, VCU

At some point our president is going to have to be a leader of this country and deliver a clear, concise messagethat shows empathy and details path toward re-opening and recovery, or he just has to be replaced. It doesn't matter how obnoxious his supporters are. He's failing us and people are dying.

Edit:I saw this just before sending the message.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
At some point our president is going to have to be a leader of this country and deliver a clear, concise messagethat shows empathy and details path toward re-opening and recovery, or he just has to be replaced. It doesn't matter how obnoxious his supporters are. He's failing us and people are dying.

Trump has never shown empathy towards anyone, and all of his business for the most part haven't made any money. It will never happen, but he will go down as the worst president ever along with the fact that the Republican party in its current state is pretty much dead; only the Electoral College keeps it afloat.

But take away Trump, and next big name (in terms of viable Candidates) is Ted Cruz.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

W sounds like FDR compared to this bozo. :dead:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Never really thought about it like this, but the black people in particular that we are losing to this pandemic, are Civil Rights Movement survivors. A lot of wisdom of how to overcome the struggle is being lost this year...

We Are Losing a Generation of Civil-Rights Memories

America’s response to the pandemic harkens back to ugly times in our country’s history. But to recognize that, we need to know our elders’ stories.

original.jpg

LETA SELETZKY

I knew it was only a matter of time before coronavirus deaths hit my social-media feeds—before people I knew would grieve, or even become ill and die themselves—but I wasn’t prepared for the speed or relentlessness with which it happened. Or that most of the victims I’d see would be black. I knew that to a large extent this reflected the people and topics I followed, but it was something bigger too, a hint of the grim reality that was only just emerging.

My eyes began to search for COVID-19 in every death announcement. It wasn’t always there, as with the Reverend Joseph Lowery, known as the “Dean of the Civil-Rights Movement,” who died on March 27 at the age of 98, of causes unrelated to the coronavirus. But it often was, and as I scrolled past smiling photos of people of all ages—daughters, sons, cousins, matriarchs, and patriarchs—I wondered how American society would bear a loss of this magnitude, what it would do to our country to lose them and all they remembered.

Bree Newsome: The Civil-Rights Movement’s generation gap

I’ve been thinking about ancestral memories for a long time. In the mid-’80s, when I was 11, I interviewed my grandparents. For all the time I’d spent with them over the years—every day after school, plus all summer while my mom worked—I realized I knew little about their early lives and the stories of their families. Once in a while, they’d let slip little anecdotes—some amusing, others revealing of the discrimination they had endured during the brutal Jim Crow era. But much of their lives lay behind a heavy curtain that rarely opened. They didn’t like talking about the past, and if their conversation touched on it, they didn’t linger there.

As I slouched cross-legged on the variegated shag carpet in their Memphis bungalow, Grandma—a tall, lean, reddish-brown woman in her 70s—sat languid and elegant on a tufted gold velvet armchair, its plastic upholstery cover crinkling beneath her when she shifted. A few feet away, Granddaddy, a round man in his 80s with horn-rimmed glasses resting on his dark bronze face, perched on a red velvet damask armchair, also covered in plastic. They gazed at nothing in particular—nothing visible to me, anyway—while I formed my questions: What were the names of the Mississippi Delta towns where they were born? What were the names of their parents, grandparents, great-grandparents? What were the oldest tales they could recall?

8fdbd7e4f.jpg

From top to bottom: Seletzky’s grandmother; Seletzky as a baby with her parents; Seletzky’s grandfather (Courtesy of Leta Seletzky)
They answered in turn, hesitantly at first, noting dates and surnames, mentioning towns, states, and even another country, Cuba, through which Granddaddy’s ancestors passed before landing in the American South. I scribbled notes in pencil on a scrap of newspaper, the only paper I had handy.

This would be our only interview, extracting mostly biographical particulars. I took home the scrap of paper bearing my notes and put it in a desk drawer, where it lay for years among a jumble of trinkets and ephemera before disappearing in the whirlwind of packing for college. Over the course of my burgeoning adulthood, I gradually became aware of its loss, my heart dropping when something triggered a memory that took me back to its precious details. Never again, I swore, would I fail as the custodian of a fragment of history.

https://amp-theatlantic-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/610396/?usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=&amp_js_v=0.1#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/we-are-losing-generation-civil-rights-memories/610396/

Last edited:

invincible1914

G.O.M.A.B.
Daps
Reppin
LSU, Saints, Alcorn, VCU
Mississippi gov on CNN sounding completely delusional.

“A national strategy is not needed. What’s happening in metropolitan areas isn’t happening here.”

:mjtf:
I grew up in MS. Most of the state still looks like it did back in the 70s and 80s. My family back home are still living like there’s nothing going on. 80% of the state is rural open space. Everything is to spread out for Covid-19 to really spread like it would in other states. Despite all of that MS still has a high infection and death rate.

Last edited:

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת

:mjlol: @ where was W, n*gga he was at home hoping your goofy ass was going to get removed like the majority of everyone else.

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
:skip: what do you mean, you want states to have less power? i think they should have more power

frankly it's probably the only thing keeping this country from having civil war II :huhldup:
historically the only civil war in american history was fought because slavery was alternatively legal and illegal in different states. the fact that major laws vary from state to state is inherently a source of division and tension, not a solution to division.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
historically the only civil war in american history was fought because slavery was alternatively legal and illegal in different states. the fact that major laws vary from state to state is inherently a source of division and tension, not a solution to division.
im not sure if thats the case here :patrice: i think montana should be free to create separate guidelines from new york

but in general youre right tho :ehh: