Coronavirus Thread: Worldwide Pandemic

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Isn't opening early, a really a significant legal liability that organizations have to think about?
Probably not
Because our countries judges don't give a shyt

If they rule no, companies arent liable, what are ppl going to do? Stop going to work?

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Thats why I don't even go to the TLR coronavirus thread no more. Its a cesspool of ignorance, people continually downplaying it, folk thinking its not a big deal or real and people who have no background in science saying all this. I don't take TLR seriously.

Its a more accurate representation of the country :mjpls:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Probably not
Because our countries judges don't give a shyt

If they rule no, companies arent liable, what are ppl going to do? Stop going to work?

I'm afraid that would push people to take the law into their own hands.....:lupe:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Someone posted this on Facebook and I thought I would share it here. It's the real reason Kemp is trying to open up Georgia. It's to throw indipendent operators and lower paid employees off unemployment to avoid a fiscal crisis of Georgia's own making.

You really want to know what I think about rescinding shelter in place in the way this order is structured?

It's about making sure people can't file unemployment. It isn't about saving lives, certainly. It's not about the peak of the curve. I think lots of people are going to ignore the governor and stay home regardless. This isn't a decision being driven by epidemiology. It's the rawest and most lethal of political decisions, and it will kill people.

Kemp is looking forward to the fiscal discussion in 2021 and 2022, when all of this really starts to hit. He got elected by out-yahooing the field. His base has been trained to view government spending as a crime, and he knows that he becomes politically vulnerable to an attack if he raises taxes. He is not capable of delivering a nuanced message around necessity, because his base doesn't know how to hear it.

The state is staring at one million unemployment applications. It probably cannot pay those over six months. The unemployment fund has a reserve of about $2.6 billion. Last week it paid out about $42 million -- which is about three times as much as it usually does. That figure will double in two weeks, give or take. Maybe more.

At that rate, the fund is empty in about 28 weeks. Probably less. Even if things improve later, that fund will run dry in a year, because unemployment isn't going to return to 5 percent for a long time.

Georgians did the Kansas thing a couple of years ago and instituted a hard constitutional limit on income taxes of 6 percent. It cannot go higher without amending the state constitution. What that means is that there's no easy mechanism for the state to accommodate an extraordinary expense, like this, without somehow telling Republican reactionaries that they must raise taxes.

Those reactionaries are the ones who will be protesting in front of the state house Friday, when this order goes into effect.

If there's no state order calling for businesses to be closed, the people who are unemployed can no longer claim that their unemployment is involuntary, even if it would be utter idiocy for them to return to work. A hair dresser or a massage therapist cannot maintain social distance. But they can certainly file for relief ... unless the law says they can work.

"Gyms, fitness centers, bowling alleys, body art studios, barbers, cosmetologists, hair designers, nail care artists, estheticians, their respective schools & massage therapists."

Not banks. Not software firms. Not factories. Not schools.

It is no coincidence that the businesses on this list are staffed by relatively poor people. Because that's who he wants off the unemployment rolls. And if they die ... well, they're mostly black people, or Asian, and poor, and an acceptable political loss for a Republican governor.

The purpose of this isn't to open up these businesses. It's to get the workers there off the dole. Work, and die. Or don't work ... but you're on your own. Because we can't raise taxes to cover the time you spent trying to save your life and the lives of the people around you.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Someone posted this on Facebook and I thought I would share it here. It's the real reason Kemp is trying to open up Georgia. It's to throw indipendent operators and lower paid employees off unemployment to avoid a fiscal crisis of Georgia's own making.

This makes the most sense, most of these southern states already make crazy hoops to jump through to get unemployment. Also, considering the circumstances, even if businesses "open up" there isn't going to be a return to normal with all the needed social distancing and sanitizing guidelines so traffic is still going to be muffled or substantially lowered. When things are more or less the same it's going to be interesting how rethugs are going to juelz there way around it. :francis:

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
I'm afraid that would push people to take the law into their own hands.....:lupe:
Americans won’t rise up. As long they have their money is in the bank, have access to social media, Netflix, YouTube, Hulu and food they will remain passive. This is why they passed the unemployment benefits along with the stimulus. The only scenarios I could see Americans rise up would be a massive food shortage or a bank run or depression level job losses. Even then the country is so divided that it would dissolve into civil war before the people would unite.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Americans won’t rise up. As long they have their money is in the bank, have access to social media, Netflix, YouTube, Hulu and food they will remain passive. This is why they passed the unemployment benefits along with the stimulus. The only scenarios I could see Americans rise up would be a massive food shortage or a bank run or depression level job losses. Even then the country is so divided that it would dissolve into civil war before the people would unite.
40 plus meat plants have closed. Food supply gonna get hit eventually. Then yes people will panic.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

For the racist CACs that use that as an opportunity to kill off non whites.

But these food plants closing really are concerning me.