Coronavirus Thread: Worldwide Pandemic

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Man, I just keep staring at the numbers in Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brazil. Just read 4-5 articles about the situation in India and another on Kenya. Right now I'm as shook as I've been.

In America, we'll get through this. Everyone posting right now, treatment will be available to us. A few brehs might die but we live with that possibility every day. We may lose some loved ones...but again, that possibility is every day.

But I keep thinking about Africa, South American, south and southeast Asia. The situation in Italy right now? That's a NORMAL day in India even without coronavirus. They ALREADY are overmaxed with not enough doctors, not enough respirators, not enough hospital rooms. Not to mention in places of poverty you ain't getting no fukking social distancing. In Kenya the troops are using tear gas on the fukking traders trying to force them to go home so crowds stop gathering in the market. But there will still be crowds in every fukking slum and village. Ain't no such thing as quarantine there, not culturally and not even really physically possible when folk dependent on the daily wage for daily food and no one has anything stored at home and population density high as fukk.

It hasn't blown up in any 3rd-world country yet. And maybe it won't. Maybe they're warm enough that it will be okay. About 10 times a day I'm staring at those southeast Asian numbers waiting to see how they move....

Man, if this shyt hits those countries it ain't gonna be no 1-3% fatality rate. They gonna have a hard as hell time treating anybody. Hospitals completely overrun and then it don't matter WHAT you have, you won't be able to get medical attention. I can easily see doctors fleeing under the burden, these are middle/upper class folk, exposure will be rampant and they ain't in it to die. Doctors fleeing and doctors getting sick, medical care will drop even further, even more deaths. And these are populations where you already have tuberculosis, AIDS, respiratory illness, malnutrition, etc. etc.

Again, it ain't jumped in any 3rd-world country still. Maybe the heat will save them. Or maybe it will at least slow shyt down to a manageable level. Even "let's just keep shyt at Italy-level" feels like a win. But I'm feeling pretty damn shook right now.

I doubt the 3rd world countries even have the test kits

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad

I don't know if this was posted before but it's still good to post:

Wash your hands for 20 seconds! :ufdup:

You know what's around 20 seconds? The Michigan fight song.

full
Feel free to sing or hum it buckeye brehs @smitty22 @Trav @MustafaSTL @Buckeye Fever @Illeye buckmatic @OSUBaneBrowns

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Man, I just keep staring at the numbers in Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brazil. Just read 4-5 articles about the situation in India and another on Kenya. Right now I'm as shook as I've been.

In America, we'll get through this. Everyone posting right now, treatment will be available to us. A few brehs might die but we live with that possibility every day. We may lose some loved ones...but again, that possibility is every day.

But I keep thinking about Africa, South American, south and southeast Asia. The situation in Italy right now? That's a NORMAL day in India even without coronavirus. They ALREADY are overmaxed with not enough doctors, not enough respirators, not enough hospital rooms. Not to mention in places of poverty you ain't getting no fukking social distancing. In Kenya the troops are using tear gas on the fukking traders trying to force them to go home so crowds stop gathering in the market. But there will still be crowds in every fukking slum and village. Ain't no such thing as quarantine there, not culturally and not even really physically possible when folk dependent on the daily wage for daily food and no one has anything stored at home and population density high as fukk.

It hasn't blown up in any 3rd-world country yet. And maybe it won't. Maybe they're warm enough that it will be okay. About 10 times a day I'm staring at those southeast Asian numbers waiting to see how they move....

Man, if this shyt hits those countries it ain't gonna be no 1-3% fatality rate. They gonna have a hard as hell time treating anybody. Hospitals completely overrun and then it don't matter WHAT you have, you won't be able to get medical attention. I can easily see doctors fleeing under the burden, these are middle/upper class folk, exposure will be rampant and they ain't in it to die. Doctors fleeing and doctors getting sick, medical care will drop even further, even more deaths. And these are populations where you already have tuberculosis, AIDS, respiratory illness, malnutrition, etc. etc.

Again, it ain't jumped in any 3rd-world country still. Maybe the heat will save them. Or maybe it will at least slow shyt down to a manageable level. Even "let's just keep shyt at Italy-level" feels like a win. But I'm feeling pretty damn shook right now.
The third world countries have kind of an advantage in one respect. They can more easily track people who are coming from high risk countries.

Somalia for instance got one case and also stopped flights from Turkey. You don’t have many foreigners going there unless they’re coming from the diaspora in Europe, Middke East, North America and a lot of that has been pulled.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Obviously, I can't speak for the whole state, but in San Diego, people are mostly obliging by the ordinances. I have been out, and the only light crowds I saw were in a SD famous park, Balboa Park, and likely tourists. Everyone else was out, and most were either in pairs, couples, parent/child or alone. Major areas of transit are done. Some of the outrage on social media is I think inflammatory.

Jeshaman

All Star
Daps
I doubt the 3rd world countries even have the test kits

They do. Who did a great job distributing the test kits.

Africa will be fine. A young population, a low number of people coming in from foreign countries, heat and humidity, the experience of dealing with extreme stress from war, ebola, dictators. People are prepared to stay put for months if need be...often times without electricity and water. We've got generators, pump our own water, our own security and zero reliance on the central government anyway. We've done it plenty times in the past. We were prepping before prepping was cool.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
They do. Who did a great job distributing the test kits.

Africa will be fine. A young population, a low number of people coming in from foreign countries, heat and humidity, the experience of dealing with extreme stress from war, ebola, dictators. People are prepared to stay put for months if need be...often times without electricity and water. We've got generators, pump our own water, our own security and zero reliance on the central government anyway. We've done it plenty times in the past. We were prepping before prepping was cool.

Thats good to hear

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

That’s what I was saying earlier about Bangladesh.

165 million people jammed into a space the size of the state of Georgia with little healthcare capacity. One lady was saying she would like to wash her hands but soap was too expensive for most in her area. :damn:

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
Coronavirus: Woman accused of hiding COVID-19 symptoms while flying to China is former Biogen employee

Posted Mar 19, 2020

The Biogen Inc., headquarters, Wednesday, March 11, 2020, in Cambridge, Mass. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)AP

shares
By Douglas Hook | dhook@masslive.com
The 37-year-old woman who authorities say caught a flight to China from the United States while hiding her coronavirus symptoms was a Biogen employee who was fired after the company learned of her alleged actions, according to the Boston Globe and information obtained by MassLive.

Jie Li, a citizen of China, was working and living in Massachusetts for Biogen, the company tied to more than 100 COVID-19 cases in Massachusetts. The company had a conference in South Boston in February.

Li did not inform anyone at Biogen that she was leaving and left during a period when employees were working from home to combat the spread.

“We can confirm that Ms. Li was a U.S Biogen employee who made the personal decision to travel to China without informing the company and ignoring the guidance of health experts,” said Biogen spokesperson David Caouette to MassLive on Thursday. “We are deeply dismayed by the situation as reported by the media in China.”

Since her return to China, she has been reported on extensively by Chinese media.

The Globe reported that Li was a Belmont resident originally from Chongqing. She is now under investigation after authorities accused her of concealing her symptoms and putting fellow travelers at risk of infection on an Air China flight on March 12, according to Beijing News.

Chongqing is a Chinese megacity of some 30 million people, 8 million in the city proper and is the province next to Hubei where the virus is said to have originated.

Sept. 9, 2017. On the bank of Ciaotianmen, where the Jialing and Yangtze rivers meet, is an array of cruise liners ready to take tourists up river to various sightseeing spots. (Douglas Hook / MassLive)

Via: Woman accused of hiding COVID-19 symptoms while flying to China is former Biogen employee