Coronavirus Thread: Worldwide Pandemic

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I do think some of the medical community are slightly irresponsible with the predictions and studies, I don't see a solution, or probably there isn't one, but the constant breathless updates of various professionals and studies is tiresome.

Local coverage of COVID has all but slowed to a drip in San Diego, which I don't decry, but there should be more responsible and measured coverage. Local papers were BREAKING NEWS if a bus driver was diagnosed with COVID.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I do think some of the medical community are slightly irresponsible with the predictions and studies, I don't see a solution, or probably there isn't one, but the constant breathless updates of various professionals and studies is tiresome.

Local coverage of COVID has all but slowed to a drip in San Diego, which I don't decry, but there should be more responsible and measured coverage. Local papers were BREAKING NEWS if a bus driver was diagnosed with COVID.

Speed of infection and rate of transmission kinda makes a bus driver getting covid-19 in your local area breaking news though....

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's all well and good but the flu has more actual deaths. There's not even a proper testing regimen globally so there are likely hundreds of thousands of cases that have gone undiagnosed that believe they have a common cold/flu, asymptomatic, or have recovered that would need to be taken into account for a proper death rate, which would of course, drop.

When people bring up the flu they are bringing up sheer numbers, not potential mass casualties. Historically the flu kills tens of thousands of people per season in the US alone. Nothing to sneeze at (:youngsabo:). While the Coronavirus is something to take seriously; the fear, panic, and overreaction to a disease that has killed 3,000 globally (mainly in the epicenter of China) as compared to the apathy we have towards Influenza which has centuries of 100k per year deaths globally is going to look funny. And it is.
Yeah yeah yeah, we get the whole death rate thing, but the flu has tens of thousands of bodies per season in the US alone and people shrug it off. This has potential for mass casualties based upon the current death rate but those numbers likely aren't even accurate because there are likely ten of thousands, if not hundreds, of undiagnosed cases which if accounted for would lower the overall death rate. The "flu rhetoric" keeps presenting itself because people are in a mass panic over 15 US deaths and 100(?) confirmed cases while people have been apathetic about influenza despite it having a consistent track record of actual deaths.

nikka has been front and center with every right wing cornona spin ever. Here's your proof you bytch. Dont even unban me just pick up your fork again and eat up

eating-crow.jpg

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
nikka has been front and center with every right wing cornona spin ever. Here's your proof you bytch. Dont even unban me just pick up your fork again and eat up

eating-crow.jpg

That first quote was from MARCH 6th.

Here's what New York Governor Andrew Cuomo had to say about the virus back on March 2nd.

“Excuse our arrogance as New Yorkers — I speak for the mayor also on this one — we think we have the best health care system on the planet right here in New York,” Cuomo said. “So, when you’re saying, what happened in other countries versus what happened here, we don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”

And New York Mayor Bill DeBlasio on March 10th

“If you’re under 50 and you’re healthy, which is most New Yorkers, there’s very little threat here. This disease, even if you were to get it, basically acts like a common cold or flu,” de Blasio said.

Looks like I shared the opinion of New York's supposed great northern state leadership, correct? And that's not me calling it a hoax, not real, or saying grandmothers should die so we can open the economy. Keep trying.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
the tlr mod thinks this isn't any worse than the flu

:laff:

Yeah, just imagine if a state Governor or the Mayor of America's largest city thought like that. There might be as many deaths in those areas as moderately populated first world country. Good think I'm not in charge of anything but a subforum and we're letting the real leaders handle things. :whew:

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
the constant breathless updates of various professionals and studies is tiresome..

I was talking to my wife about this, this fatigue with hearing about the virus is because there is no trusted repository of information being managed. That is evidence in of itself at how poorly the current system of government is handling this all the way to the top. If there was a singular representative or location to understand what is going on as well as whats expected, you'd have less of a flood from various sources.