Confederate Flag Debate

invalid

Banned
Daps
Are you descendants of The Hairstons?

No. I know some though. One is an alderman in my city.

On reparations - I agree going after the government is the way - but I also think those same families who profited off of my ancestors should pay - especially if what they have today is the due to what was done in the past.

For instance, my maternal side - my grandmother mothers family was not only enslaved -- but forced into terrible sharecropping contracts. That family today still owns most of the land, real estate and grocery stores in that county/town.

Like you, these same people acknowledge us and our ancestors. Mainly cause they know we are related (2nd cousins and up) - and not by choice.

We don't invite them to anything - neither do they - but because they own so much of the town - a lot of my family there still works for them and have purchased/rented homes in their many subdivisions they built via their real estate company.

My great granny was bi-racial due to her father being the son of the man who once enslaved her mother and grandparents - whom they all continued to work for after emancipation. That same family I mentioned above.

Whether they should pay is one thing. Finding a legal justification as to why they should pay is another.

Their ability to profit off the ancestors is not a legal justification because the system that was in place made it legal for them to do so.

If they profited off our families during a time period that made it illegal, then we have a legal justification to go after compensation.

Would it be nice if these families paid something, especially if there is evidence that they are still profiting from the labor via land/business residuals as you mentioned above, absolutely!

Finding a legal basis to do so is the issue. Which is why I think efforts to recover compensation is best served going after the federal government that allowed the system to be in place in the first place.

And lets be real, white families are not going to pay shyt. Should they, of course. Are they, hell no, unless it's done by force.

And if I were keeping it a buck, if black people were in the same position, we wouldn't give up anything either. It's best to just go after the government.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I know this is the internet where everything is black and white and there's no room for nuance, but the civil war wasn't fought to end slavery. Even Lincoln said if he could end the war without freeing a single slave he would...

With that said, on the issue of a massive powerful federal government vs. Individual states having the right to govern themselves, the South was probably right. The federal government as we know it has only grown larger and more corrupt. And the centralization of all that power has created a class of people who are above regular citizens and above the law...

We're a little more basic around here

Fukc everyone who thinks enslaving Black people is okay. Everyone and everything everywhere who is down with slavery

Fukc the South and they mama and whatever is in their pea brain. If you think slavery was cool, I hope you get raped and eaten by a bear.

So what are you saying again about it being a gray area?