Collapse of doomsday glacier in Antarctica could begin in five years, scientists say

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
I SEE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. IF ONLY THE ABOVE SEA LEVEL ICE MELTS, WE'RE SCREWED. I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE ENTIRE THING.
There is nowhere for the ice below sea level to go, so it doesn’t make a difference. If you fill a bottle up completely with water and freeze it, what happens?

Then when it melts, what happens?

Your original example of ice cubes in a glass doesn’t work here because there is space in the glass for water to spread when it melts. A better example would be ice cubes in a glass of water.

Daps
I DON'T BELIEVE IT. WATER LEVEL LOWERS WHEN ICE MELTS. FILL UP A GLASS WITH ICE. POUR WATER UNTIL ITS AT THE TOP. COME BACK IN 2 HOURS AND SEE THE WATER LEVEL DECREASE.

WATER EXPANDS WHEN IT FREEZES.

I NEED SOMEBODY TO EXPLAIN HOW THIS IS DIFFERENT FOR GLACIERS.

Because glaciers are on top of land and not floating in the sea like ice cubes in a glass.

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
Because glaciers are on top of land and not floating in the sea like ice cubes in a glass.

THIS IS WHAT I WAS ASKING ABOUT. I WASN'T SURE WHAT WAS UNDER THE ICE. I HAVE READ ARTICLES ABOUT UNDERWATER LAKES IN ANTARCTICA. I ALWAYS ASSUMED IT WAS A HUGE FLOATING ICE CUBE WITH POCKETS OF TRAPPED WATER IN IT.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
we should develop a way to reverse time. then send people back in time that operate in literal reverse movements and have them stop global warming.