Collapse of doomsday glacier in Antarctica could begin in five years, scientists say

DatNkkaCutty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
@ PA
giphy.webp

Barlow

He,Him,Nigguh
Daps
I DON'T BELIEVE IT. WATER LEVEL LOWERS WHEN ICE MELTS. FILL UP A GLASS WITH ICE. POUR WATER UNTIL ITS AT THE TOP. COME BACK IN 2 HOURS AND SEE THE WATER LEVEL DECREASE.

WATER EXPANDS WHEN IT FREEZES.

I NEED SOMEBODY TO EXPLAIN HOW THIS IS DIFFERENT FOR GLACIERS.

If you stack up a bunch of ice until it’s out of the glass but fill the glass with water, What’s going to happen?

the ice will melt and the cup will fill…until there’s too much ice/water left and the glass overfills

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
I DON'T BELIEVE IT. WATER LEVEL LOWERS WHEN ICE MELTS. FILL UP A GLASS WITH ICE. POUR WATER UNTIL ITS AT THE TOP. COME BACK IN 2 HOURS AND SEE THE WATER LEVEL DECREASE.

Freshwater vs saltwater on top of what @Ciggavelli said

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

In your scenario, the big blocks/cubes of ice takes up more space as ice than it does as water which is why it doesn't overflow when it melts.

With global warming, several low lying countries like The Maldives, Indonesia, Japan, parts of the US, etc. etc. can't take a drastic increase in sea level. Those places are already on the water. The ice shelves keep the glaciers in place. Warm up the water and they become brittle and break apart and eventually float out into open sea and melt further in the sun which leads to higher sea levels. For your example, fill a cup with water to the top and add ice. It probably won't overflow with the added ice. Take those same ice cubes and put them in another cup until they melt. Then add that second cup of melted ice/water to the first cup and it probably will overflow this time. This is what's happening.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown

I used to agree with this but i'm not even sure anymore.
Humanity is all humans.
The people creating the world's problems are all a group of wealthy individuals.
I think if you counted all the people that are the root cause of corruption it may be just under 400 people.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Our entire civilization needs to hit the pause button. In a rational world, world governments would come together to set out a game plan to mitigate climate change. I think its going to take series of catastrophic and globally destabilizing events in order for us humans to get our act together.

DatNkkaCutty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
@ PA
I used to agree with this but i'm not even sure anymore.
Humanity is all humans.
The people creating the world's problems are all a group of wealthy individuals.
I think if you counted all the people that are the root cause of corruption it may be just under 400 people.

giphy.webp

Are they human?:childplease:

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Our entire civilization needs to hit the pause button. In a rational world, world governments would come together to set out a game plan to mitigate climate change. I think its going to take series of catastrophic and globally destabilizing events in order for us humans to get our act together.

You mean like a pandemic?
What happened with the covid pandemic?
I'll tell you what, 90% profit margins for pfizer and moderna. Also they are not releasing the patents.
Are you sure that's what it will take?