Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
New review of episode 6 courtesy of our very own @MartyMcFly !

Black on Both Sides’ Explores How Black Men and Women Relate to Each Other
We’ve got some issues to work out

Trauma, for better or worse, seemingly defines relationships between African-American men and women. Whether covertly or overtly, we’re having a back and forth about who has it worse and crying for the person on the other side of the table to give a little empathy. As a black man, I witness these discussions on the regular. My female friends say we “ain’t sh*t” and pull out their parchment to detail an incredibly long list of reasons why. My male friends remix the same conversations and the cycle continues. One person hurts this person, who hurts the next person, and so we spin.

The "); background-size: 1px 1px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px); background-repeat: repeat no-repeat;">latest episode of Black on Both Sidesexamines this loop. A black woman and black man with seemingly different ideologies express their frustrations. The woman believes black men take no responsibility for our actions in how we treat black women. Worse? When faced with the consequences of our actions, we blame others. On the flip side, the black man believes black women aren’t supportive and mistreat or misuse a lot of good brothers because they don’t fit the “mold” of what a black man should be. The episode starts at at a simmer and erupts in its third act as both characters realize they can’t keep their emotions at bay.

That whole “emotion” thing is tricky. Both sides are told, and truly believe, displaying emotion is their downfall. Black women believe showing emotion gets them the “crazy” label and black men believe shedding a single tear tags them as “soft.” There’s even a line of dialogue citing the ways in which black men deal or don’t deal with emotion. It’s a tad on the nose but works because it’s a part of the episode’s tapestry. Funnily enough, we find out both characters date white people. While the episode doesn’t make this nefarious or say its characters are wrong, it does help in illustrating the larger point: Our issues with each other chase us into the arms of other people who don’t understand our culture. Again, this isn’t inherently bad, but “The Audacity of Hope” says this only happens because the core concept of love is misunderstood within the black community.

Now, we could get into why that might be, but that’s a much larger discussion. The episode itself doesn’t really answer any question it poses either. However, that’s not so much of a problem as much as its an observation. Why do black men and women treat each other the way we do? Why do some black women feel more comfortable in the arms of a white man? Why do some black men feel the need to be someone they’re not in order to please black women? How do we reconcile the way Hip Hop treats women historically? These heady questions are hard to answer in 20 minutes of real life, much less 20 minutes of TV time. To the episode’s credit, it knows its limits and doesn’t even attempt to go there.

That might frustrate some viewers. I get that. People want what we want when we want it and often what we want are answers. Writer/Creator Alonge Hawes gets props for distilling the crux of this decades-long discussion into, what is essentially, a 20 minute stage play. It feels like a minor quibble to knock the characters. They don’t feel defined and act as stand-ins for a much larger discussion rather than something specific to these two people. Like I said, a minor quibble, but a quibble nonetheless.

The sixth episode of the season is an important one. While it would feel stronger with a tad more character definition, the message is still sharp and the questions are poignant. Unfortunately, we may never get the answers we need as a people.

‘Black on Both Sides’ Explores How Black Men and Women Relate to Each Other

@Illeye buckmatic @Milk N Cookies @Easy-E @Esco @LinusCaldwell @Rekkapryde @Soymuscle Mike @Soundbwoy @UserNameless @General Mills @hustlemania @Colicat @-DMP- @True Blue Moon @Tupac in a Business Suit @NormanConnors @krackdagawd @IllmaticDelta @Born2BKing @PlayerNinety_Nine @BXKingPin82

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
New review of episode 6 courtesy of our very own @MartyMcFly !

Black on Both Sides’ Explores How Black Men and Women Relate to Each Other
We’ve got some issues to work out

Trauma, for better or worse, seemingly defines relationships between African-American men and women. Whether covertly or overtly, we’re having a back and forth about who has it worse and crying for the person on the other side of the table to give a little empathy. As a black man, I witness these discussions on the regular. My female friends say we “ain’t sh*t” and pull out their parchment to detail an incredibly long list of reasons why. My male friends remix the same conversations and the cycle continues. One person hurts this person, who hurts the next person, and so we spin.

The "); background-size: 1px 1px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px); background-repeat: repeat no-repeat;">latest episode of Black on Both Sidesexamines this loop. A black woman and black man with seemingly different ideologies express their frustrations. The woman believes black men take no responsibility for our actions in how we treat black women. Worse? When faced with the consequences of our actions, we blame others. On the flip side, the black man believes black women aren’t supportive and mistreat or misuse a lot of good brothers because they don’t fit the “mold” of what a black man should be. The episode starts at at a simmer and erupts in its third act as both characters realize they can’t keep their emotions at bay.

That whole “emotion” thing is tricky. Both sides are told, and truly believe, displaying emotion is their downfall. Black women believe showing emotion gets them the “crazy” label and black men believe shedding a single tear tags them as “soft.” There’s even a line of dialogue citing the ways in which black men deal or don’t deal with emotion. It’s a tad on the nose but works because it’s a part of the episode’s tapestry. Funnily enough, we find out both characters date white people. While the episode doesn’t make this nefarious or say its characters are wrong, it does help in illustrating the larger point: Our issues with each other chase us into the arms of other people who don’t understand our culture. Again, this isn’t inherently bad, but “The Audacity of Hope” says this only happens because the core concept of love is misunderstood within the black community.

Now, we could get into why that might be, but that’s a much larger discussion. The episode itself doesn’t really answer any question it poses either. However, that’s not so much of a problem as much as its an observation. Why do black men and women treat each other the way we do? Why do some black women feel more comfortable in the arms of a white man? Why do some black men feel the need to be someone they’re not in order to please black women? How do we reconcile the way Hip Hop treats women historically? These heady questions are hard to answer in 20 minutes of real life, much less 20 minutes of TV time. To the episode’s credit, it knows its limits and doesn’t even attempt to go there.

That might frustrate some viewers. I get that. People want what we want when we want it and often what we want are answers. Writer/Creator Alonge Hawes gets props for distilling the crux of this decades-long discussion into, what is essentially, a 20 minute stage play. It feels like a minor quibble to knock the characters. They don’t feel defined and act as stand-ins for a much larger discussion rather than something specific to these two people. Like I said, a minor quibble, but a quibble nonetheless.

The sixth episode of the season is an important one. While it would feel stronger with a tad more character definition, the message is still sharp and the questions are poignant. Unfortunately, we may never get the answers we need as a people.

‘Black on Both Sides’ Explores How Black Men and Women Relate to Each Other

@Illeye buckmatic @Milk N Cookies @Easy-E @Esco @LinusCaldwell @Rekkapryde @Soymuscle Mike @Soundbwoy @UserNameless @General Mills @hustlemania @Colicat @-DMP- @True Blue Moon @Tupac in a Business Suit @NormanConnors @krackdagawd @IllmaticDelta @Born2BKing @PlayerNinety_Nine @BXKingPin82

:whoo::obama::salute:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
New review of episode 7!

Black On Both Sides Episode 7 Review
Date: January 2, 2020Author: imjustcorey0

As the walls close in and Anansi’s endgame becomes clearer, Black On Both Sides continues to distinguish itself as a series worth sinking your teeth into.

Code Switching sucks. Lets just call a spade a spade on this one. Since the formation of this country, the black people dwelling within it have never, at no point in time, been made to feel as if our unique sense of identity is important or respected outside of dancing, singing, or some kind of performance art. Ironically, it has been our entertainers who have taken steps to rail against this specific form of oppression. When Solange snarls “Don’t touch my hair”. When Jay-Z laments “Only spot a few blacks the higher I go.” When Kendrick Lamar proclaims “We hate popo. When they kill us dead in the street for sure!” They are merely channeling the frustration, anger, and rage of a people who are fed up with society’s status quo of how we should feel, act, and carry ourselves. In a society where laws have to be passed to effectively stop natural hair discrimination, 16 police officers in Chicago were involved in a cover up of the shooting of Laquan Mcdonald, and our own Commander & Chief has admitted to stating that “laziness is a trait in blacks.” The time would inevitably come that African Americans would rebel against the fact that we are made to exist within a white world as ******s when our very humanity depends upon being viewed as people.

In the spirit of that particular sentiment, we have Black On Both Sides seventh and penultimate episode of its freshmen season, titled “Black Boy” (in keeping with the theme of naming episodes after the novels of famous black authors, this one the celebrated work from Richard Wright) the episode puts the action squarely back on the main character of Anansi Moor (Alonge Hawes) and draws the curtain a bit on his true motivations towards his boss Cyrus Alexander (Scott Piehler). Cyrus, impressed with Anansi’s sales and leadership abilities, invites him to a private dinner party, where he is encouraged to bring a “plus one” in order to demonstrate that he is a safe and non-threatening family man. Anansi implores Nefertiti (Lasada Lloyd) to accompany him, and after some sweet talk, convinces her to come. Nefertiti seems to be one of the few people who knows who Anansi truly is, and she is fighting an inner battle to reconcile her obvious love for him with her moral objections with what his plans are. Nefertiti is the only one who calls him by his real name (revealed a few episodes previous to be Kwaku) and the one to push him towards considering their family and daughter over lies and subterfuge. Throughout the episode she provides a grounding presence to keep Anansi balanced.

The dinner party itself provides a great showcase for both Hawes and Lloyd to showcase their characters as masters of integrating themselves into upper class white society. While Cyrus gives self-congratulatory speeches, his wife Lilith (Schelle Purcell stealing every scene she’s in) hosts with all the haughty shamelessness of Elizabeth Taylor circa 1954’s Rhapsody. The assorted guests, all rich and white, shower Anansi with compliments such as “If every black person acted like you, racism would be over!”; and as Anansi and Nefertiti grin and tap dance their way through the party, the moments are intercut with flashback sequences of Anansi’s father Elbert (Devan Dmarcus) who preaches about moving to Nigeria to start anew. The dualities of Elbert’s passion for black people taking their destinies into their own hands intercut against Anansi’s attempts at integrating into white America was something I found particularly interesting. Anansi is so hell bent on exacting vengeance on Cyrus that he seems to be utilizing his father’s strategic teachings without regard for the philosophy that inspired them. Whether playing the game in this manner will be to Anansi’s detriment remains to be seen, but in one telling scene between Lilith and Anansi; she warns him that “winning” the game means ultimately selling your soul.

The episode concludes with the return of Saul & Quintoni (Quentin Williams and Roberto Cruz looking as if they are having the time of their lives in their roles) who are looking for a bit of payback themselves. I won’t give too many spoilers but it would suffice to say that Anansi should REALLY practice better payment habits when it comes to dealing with these two.

Black On Both Sides has become a very entertaining and poignant examination of the black experience. The acting has continued to be on point, the writing is excellent, and the themes and messages have real weight behind them. I eagerly await the final episode of the season and really hope it sticks the landing. Here’s to another exceptional chapter in the Black On Both Sides canon.

PROS

Great Acting (Scott Piehler as Cyrus, Lasada Lloyd as Nefertiti, and Schelle Purcell as Lilith deserve special mention)

Great Writing

Exceptional Direction and Cinematography

Cons

Little pockets of sound issues. Not bad enough to deduct a full point but noticeable in a few scenes

@Soundbwoy @Illeye buckmatic @IllmaticDelta @Esco @Rekkapryde @krackdagawd @BXKingPin82 @PlayerNinety_Nine @UserNameless @True Blue Moon @-DMP- @Born2BKing @Originalman @mr.africa @NormanConnors @Afro @WavyHair ChippedTeeth @Easy-E @Majestic @newworldafro @Milk N Cookies @Booksnrain @MartyMcFly @LinusCaldwell

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Season 1 full review from Indyred

Black On Both Sides
Season 1 Review

INDYRED | FEB 2020

clicking here, episode five review can be found by clicking here -six can be found here.

I finally got to wrap up season one of Alonge Hawes series, "Black On Both Sides" with episodes seven and eight. Both were engaging with the final episode really developing Anansi's back story. I assumed there was some kind of tragic event, especially with all the flashbacks, but didn't expect what came to be. As it turns out, Cyrus and Anansi have a history and it plays out beautifully as a vehicle for the why of the show. Perhaps beautifully is the wrong word considering the nature of their history, but in terms of storytelling... it just fits.
Chapter seven focuses on Anansi reaching his goal and earning the trust of Cyrus. The final straw is accomplished at a dinner party where Anansi has invited Nefertiti as his plus one, where she is expected to play the role of the whitewashed wife to the whitewashed man. Save the bickering and comedic gagging faces she makes throughout the party, it's a success and paves the way for the endgame that becomes the final episode. Said final episode was pretty decent as well, with the flashbacks being the real highlights of the episode. The coming together of Anansi's plan works well, but did feel a little quick for my tastes. "Black On Both Sides" is a low budget production, so Hawes and his crew did what they could. It does all makes perfect sense, but it's mostly executed as exposition. As written above, the real gem was the history - and for whatever reason, the very ending turned out to be more powerful than I would have thought. Sometimes, less flash equals more punch. There are numerous threads that could be elaborated on later if Hawes decides to go for a season two - but what there is right now, does wrap things up nicely. Mostly.

As mentioned above, reviews for past episodes can be found in the links - and that includes the individual technical aspects. These final two episodes are more of the same, some uneven audio and shaky cam here and there. But I've said it before and it especially applies to these final episodes, the acting and writing are top-notch. It's probably true that after following along for the entire season, I've become accustomed to some of the less than perfect production aspects and now simply focus on writing and acting. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and in truth, the fact that I even care is a tribute to the talent involved in the creation and execution of this show. So long as a person knows what to expect going in, there's real gold here. No question.
The overarching themes of Hawes series are pretty self-explanatory - even the title gives them away. Yet this is not a typical black and white story. There's racism yes, just as there is in real life - but more often than not it's in the background and perhaps even unintentional. Save a few instances, especiallyduring these final episodes, the racism is veiled and often times maybe even considered unconscious. That's the real draw of the series. Even Anansi's boss probably doesn't consider himself racist to us viewers - again, until the end of the show that is. But everything is handled realistically. You're not going to find episode after episode of skinheads yelling the N-word - instead, a more realistic approach is taken, oppression just under the guise of normality. "Black On Both Sides" is a great revenge story no doubt, but its the smaller things you will really appreciate.
The bottom line is this. Season one was entertaining and even a little educational. I will however, leave the educational part for viewers to figure out for themselves. Without question, this is a series geared towards a black audience - man, I really hate the way that sounds - but it's true. However, folks of any ethnic background will find something here to enjoy, appreciate, or think about. Alonge Hawes and his troupe know how to get the gears turning. Is this a fiction? Yes, it is. Can something be gleaned and stored in the mind? You bet. Of these final two episodes, the last was my favorite but as a series overall, including all the ups and downs, I believe four stars feel about right. Not bad for a low budget series. Not bad at all.

@Illeye buckmatic @Milk N Cookies @Easy-E @Esco @LinusCaldwell @mr.africa @KravenMorehead™ @krackdagawd @Rekkapryde @General Mills @Soymuscle Mike @PlayerNinety_Nine @Born2BKing @newworldafro @MartyMcFly @True Blue Moon @WavyHair ChippedTeeth @UserNameless @NormanConnors @BXKingPin82 @Soymuscle Mike