Coli Musicians, Do Yall really Believe in Music Theory?

Dont@Me

😡
Daps
You’re focusing on me talking about puffing cheeks when my main point in that post was HBCUs don’t follow “traditional” music theory. My entire post was dedicated to how when I marched in college, we (SWAC marching bands) purposely did things our way (arrangements, instrumentation, voices, etc) yes, embouchure isn’t technically music theory but that wasn’t what my post was about.

You’re trying to embarrass someone and you’re missing the complete picture of what I’m saying.
lol I'm not trying to embarrass you. Sorry you feel that way :manny:

All I'm saying is however you did things in your arrangements, voices, and instrumentation, can still be explained using music theory whether it's conventional or not. It's like using a dictionary to describe a word. It's not that serious breh.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
lol I'm not trying to embarrass you. Sorry you feel that way :manny:

All I'm saying is however you did things in your arrangements, voices, and instrumentation, can still be explained using music theory whether it's conventional or not. It's like using a dictionary to describe a word. It's not that serious breh.

I have literally said this in multiple post in here breh :mjlol: it’s all good tho

What instrument you play?

I play trombone, baritone & tuba. Could never get them small ass mouthpieces to work for me on treble clef instruments

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
I finished with two degrees, one in Comp. Engineering, the other in Music w/ concentration in Theory as one of the tracks. I played piano which really made a huge difference in applying the theory to practicality.

Music Theory is a fundamental building block to musical expression and my career as a composer would be absolutely inconceivable if I lacked that skill. It allows me to conceptualize any idea and turn into a cue or song ready for media. Latin, Jazz, Hip Hop, Classical, EDM, if a music sup. needs it from me, I can create it for them w/o much difficulty.

For EDM/Dance grooves, what issues are you running into exactly? Which DAW are you using?

Creating music without musical knowledge is like trying to play in the NFL without knowing how to read a playbook...
I'm not making music, I just do remixes of shyt, but its made me look for the "sounds" in movement, i might try to apply a theme, etc. I was interested in what you were talking about with it jelping to score tv/film

Dont@Me

😡
Daps
I have literally said this in multiple post in here breh :mjlol: it’s all good tho

What instrument you play?

I play trombone, baritone & tuba. Could never get them small ass mouthpieces to work for me on treble clef instruments
Maybe I misunderstood you breh.

I played trumpet, classical piano, contemporary and improv piano via music theory, and do audio production and mixing nowadays, but only for my own music.

Haven't touched the trumpet in years though. Definitely need to condition my lips for that :dame:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Maybe I misunderstood you breh.

I played trumpet, classical piano, contemporary and improv piano via music theory, and do audio production and mixing nowadays, but only for my own music.

Haven't touched the trumpet in years though. Definitely need to condition my lips for that :dame:

Much respect to trumpet players. I don’t see how tf y’all play on them small ass mouthpieces. :salute:

Hope this year is prosperous for you breh