Coli Musicians, Do Yall really Believe in Music Theory?

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
My 2nd degree was in music and at the higher level (writing for tv and film/instructing others) there is no question you need it to communicate your ideas in an effective and intelligent manner.
Elaborate on this. Please be detailed too :sadcam: I recently got into dance remixes and even made a thread... the shyt has me thinking different altogether :ohhh: Really honing in on the rhythm/pulse, and how wild the variations you can get out if it are.

thefloorislava

All Star
Daps
If you don’t know any music theory you are moving in the dark. Even armed with basic knowledge your ability as a musician will increase substantially. I think ear training and basic music theory are fundamental skills for any musician along with proficiency in at least one instrument.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Yes music theory is important skill to learn if your serious about making music compositions. Yes if your strictly doing rap music then it is not that important, especially if your sampling(learning key though is. a skillset i would try to learn at least). But for example if your session musician, the producer or composer can simply print out the notes they want you to play and you should be able to read them and play them without no issues.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
It's just basically a way to talk music really with other people.

Some people don't need it and just use their ears and their voice though.

To those who don't know their instrument or DAW, it can save a lot of time if you know the patterns.

I've mentioned on here before that my wife has absolute pitch and is probably the most musical person I've met in-person. She doesn't really make music/beats (she sings), doesn't know music theory formally but when I taught her how to use FL she was making some seriously dope music in minimal time. I know music theory pretty well and was able to easily see in her patterns (the piano roll is basically like sheet music) how much music theory she innately knew/felt. However, all the extra stuff she was doing and flavor she added is something music theory can't teach.

Music theory is great for establishing a quick floor of good music, being special though is a ceiling that you can't get to on music theory alone.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NYC
100% :yes:

Music theory is what separates the great musicians from mediocre ones, or people just noodling on their instrument every 2 weeks when they're bored.
Go sit in a studio with a producer and let me know if you "believe" in music theory after you done with the first session.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
One of the simplest principles in life is that you have to know the rules of whatever before you can appreciate what it means to be free of them. Some rules you keep, some you bend, some you break. You're not going to grasp those nuances unless you know where the boundaries are laid out.

Geordi

All Star
Daps
You can teach yourself at your own pace. Get this book, its easy to follow along, learn the basics and see if it helps

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
:hubie: Four thumbs mate, still trying to get a hang of this internet typing thingie.
the great thing about 'music theory' is that you never learn everything, no matter how many know-it-alls pretend otherwise

i hate those people. dont learn music theory. if you make a post about the hemiola 3/2 counts andre 3000 used in "hey ya" or some other goofy ass shyt like that i will neg your ass to the top of that eucalyptus tree :ufdup:

with that said, a little theory wouldnt hurt most people... but most people shouldnt be making music in the first place. the art aint in them and it shows

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
the great thing about 'music theory' is that you never learn everything, no matter how many know-it-alls pretend otherwise

i hate those people. dont learn music theory. if you make a post about the hemiola 3/2 counts andre 3000 used in "hey ya" or some other goofy ass shyt like that i will neg your ass to the top of that eucalyptus tree :ufdup:

with that said, a little theory wouldnt hurt most people... but most people shouldnt be making music in the first place. the art aint in them and it shows

Its like this, if you have a familiarity to sound, you pretty much figured out the hard part. The thing involving music theory is that it puts a box on creativity. If you are a bedroom producer like this marsupial, I'm not going to take out another loan to find out how to read sheets :dead: . Heavens no.

But of course if you make offkey notes and think the shyt is hot to the masses, yeahhhh you may need to take a class or two :francis:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos