Coli Musicians, Do Yall really Believe in Music Theory?

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
@Blessed Koala heres an old post I made concerning music theory..

I was watching this Southern University video & it reminded me of this thread.

Everything they’re doing in this video is considered an abomination by white tight asses who do music. This video has 1 million views & counting just because SU is that good & their sound is so unique.

These kids play with so much passion..they’re putting their souls through those horns. My band director in middle school was a white dude who went to the university of Florida & he’d have a heart attack if he saw this.

They (white folks) say puffing your cheeks when playing is the worst thing you can do, but again fukk their music theory rules. Black folks puffing their cheeks goes back to Buddy Bolden, Louis Armstrong, Dizzie Gillespie & countless others. You can’t help but to put your all into it when playing in an HBCU band. I spent many long nights at band practice in college playing just like this.

Even with the bands I work with today I tell them to let their instruments talk for them idc how it looks.

Use theory & ear training to learn notes (flats, sharps, naturals, & the difference between bass & trouble clefs (key signatures & transpositions) & then add your spin on it

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly i can play parts of song by ear BUT i find that you most definitely need to have some understanding on the basics of music in order to play an instrument and to fully understand music. Ive been off and on with learning how to play music, understanding notes, and etc. Synestheia most definitely helps me play music by ear.
I can tell you the color a pattern of notes sound like but if i were to speak in terms of music, i would have to know the notes like c sharp, e, f sharp, whole note, and etc. Havent gotten to that stage yet though i know the whole a sharp, a flat, b, c, whole, half.. i know each instrument has a whole different style you have to know on the scales when you read it in order to understand how to play the instrument.

I wanna take some piano lessons because if i had the proper training, i could beast mode that shyt. Guitar really hurts my hand trying to learn how to play.

Last edited:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Honestly i can play parts of song by ear BUT i find that you most definitely need to have some understanding on the basics of music in order to play an instrument and to fully understand music. Ive been off and on with learning how to play music, understanding notes, and etc. Synestheia most definitely helps me play music by ear.
I can tell you the color a pattern of notes sound like but if i were to speak in terms of music, i would have to know the notes like c sharp, e, f sharp, whole note, and etc. Havent gotten to that stage yet though i know the whole a sharp, a flat, b, c, whole, half.. i know each instrument has a whole different style you have to know on the scales when you read it in order to understand how to play the instrument.

I wanna take some piano lessons because if i had the proper training, i could beast mode that shyt. Guitar really hurts my hand trying to learn how to play.

I tried playing guitar, but it wasn't any luck due to the fact:

• Couldn't find anybody to help me with the basics
  • The douchebags at a music store in Philly acted like pompous asses to hook a marsupial up
  • Wasn't the proper shoe to fit
Right now I'm learning chords and messing with synths since I have always loved the synthesizer sound. Don't know the notes off hand, but are familiar with the melodies.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos

Use theory & ear training to learn notes (flats, sharps, naturals, & the difference between bass & trouble clefs (key signatures & transpositions) & then add your spin on it

:wow: Takes me back to the days of pep rallys and block drills. Nothing like a black marching band playing with the strength of a black excellence past.

s@n

All Star
Daps
I should post some videos from Barry Harris

Dont@Me

😡
Daps

bruh......hear me out though.
the way they're playing (ie. puffing their cheeks out on the horns) have nothing to do with music theory. That's a separate category called

Embouchure

which was more to do with PHYSICAL TECHNIQUE. That is not music theory and i'm not sure what your idea of it is. Music theory is absolutely not the white devil breh. Sure, snobs who solely judge your music by how well you follow rules of theory rather than actually trying to genuinely connect and feel their way through music are uptight fools. There are DEFINITELY pretentious douchebags in the upper echelon and even mid society who do this. That's just how those specific people utilize it though. Many others use it as a source of understanding the universal language of music. That's literally all it is. Patterns and certain ways of using them. Even when you, "add your own spin to it", you can still describe what that "spin" is by.....using music theory.

To clarify, absolutely nothing you talked about in that video has anything to do with music theory. They and other musicians are absolutely using music theory even if they have no idea they're consciously doing it.

Not speaking about you, but I generally find that it's people who always dismiss music theory are the ones who do not know what it is.
Even if you play by ear? you're subconsciously using music theory.

Last edited:

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Elaborate on this. Please be detailed too :sadcam: I recently got into dance remixes and even made a thread... the shyt has me thinking different altogether :ohhh: Really honing in on the rhythm/pulse, and how wild the variations you can get out if it are.

I finished with two degrees, one in Comp. Engineering, the other in Music w/ concentration in Theory as one of the tracks. I played piano which really made a huge difference in applying the theory to practicality.

Music Theory is a fundamental building block to musical expression and my career as a composer would be absolutely inconceivable if I lacked that skill. It allows me to conceptualize any idea and turn into a cue or song ready for media. Latin, Jazz, Hip Hop, Classical, EDM, if a music sup. needs it from me, I can create it for them w/o much difficulty.

For EDM/Dance grooves, what issues are you running into exactly? Which DAW are you using?

Creating music without musical knowledge is like trying to play in the NFL without knowing how to read a playbook...

Dont@Me

😡
Daps
I finished with two degrees, one in Comp. Engineering, the other in Music w/ concentration in Theory as one of the tracks. I played piano which really made a huge difference in applying the theory to practicality.

Music Theory is a fundamental building block to musical expression and my career as a composer would be absolutely inconceivable if I lacked that skill. It allows me to conceptualize any idea and turn into a cue or song ready for media. Latin, Jazz, Hip Hop, Classical, EDM, if a music sup. needs it from me, I can create it for them w/o much difficulty.

For EDM/Dance grooves, what issues are you running into exactly? Which DAW are you using?

Creating music without musical knowledge is like trying to play in the NFL without knowing how to read a playbook...
:salute:

I find when you get deep into the underground of electronic music, the one category that is absolutely unique to the genre is sound design. It's a quality that is the focal emphasis in lots of tracks unlike ANY other genre which makes it so interesting, yet polarizing due to lack of familiarity for most people. Using synthesizers to create textures and sounds that do not exist in the physical realm is quite literally other-worldly to me :ohhh:

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
I play by ear: going to church as a kid, learning to read basic notation, and my dad playing all kinds of CDs and records enhanced music as a hobby for me

I could pluck out "they walked in line" on one string on my acoustic and transfer beats I make in my head on a piano roll as soon as I get home but I'm hardly a musician in the proper sense of the term

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
:salute:

I find when you get deep into the underground of electronic music, the one category that is absolutely unique to the genre is sound design. It's a quality that is the focal emphasis in lots of tracks unlike ANY other genre which makes it so interesting, yet polarizing due to lack of familiarity for most people.

repetition without tedium :wow:

fun fact: there was this cac from Norway, Varg Vikernes, arguably the most influential black metal (genre) musician alive with his band Burzum, would sit alone in clubs and hear house music for hours to understand the bolded

At one point, I remember him saying the guitar was too "Black" [the phrase he used would get me bushed :skip:]

Dont@Me

😡
Daps
repetition without tedium :wow:

fun fact: there was this cac from Norway, Varg Vikernes, arguably the most influential black metal (genre) musician alive with his band Burzum, would sit alone in clubs and hear house music for hours to understand the bolded

At one point, I remember him saying the guitar was too "Black" [the phrase he used would get me bushed :skip:]
can't argue with keeping it simple, but it really does take a special music lover the recognize and appreciate the intricacies of some complex stuff. It's exactly why those kinds of songs are less popular. In some of the music I listen to, the amount of things going on at once is like a pleasant ADHD experience.