Coli Musicians, Do Yall really Believe in Music Theory?

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
So, I have been on this weird kick involving my music making and noticed that I have been kinda good with doing melodies on the keys, but for the life of me I have never indulged in learning of Music Theory. B sharps, C Notes, and all that I have no lick of clue, but I know low and high keys and when they blend tho :whew:

My question for those that make music, did yall went to school for it or it was all by ear? Beyond a few lessons with playing the violin in school (I sadly noped out because I kept eating at the wood), I always just played it by ear. When you know, it just works with your spirit and creativity.

This goes beyond music too...as an artist in general, do yall believe that learning>>>>>>doing, or that's a waste of time as the music is in your heart from the up start.

koala-concert-pianist-eucalyptus-hall-tocando-piano-cola-sala-conciertos-hecha-arboles-eucalipto-rodeado-audiencia-hipnotizada_850000-54089.jpg

Discuss

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
So, I have been on this weird kick involving my music making and noticed that I have been kinda good with doing melodies on the keys, but for the life of me I have never indulged in learning of Music Theory. B sharps, C Notes, and all that I have no lick of clue, but I know low and high keys and when they blend tho :whew:

My question for those that make music, did yall went to school for it or it was all by ear? Beyond a few lessons with playing the violin in school (I sadly noped out because I kept eating at the wood), I always just played it by ear. When you know, it just works with your spirit and creativity.

This goes beyond music too...as an artist in general, do yall believe that learning>>>>>>doing, or that's a waste of time as the music is in your heart from the up start.

koala-concert-pianist-eucalyptus-hall-tocando-piano-cola-sala-conciertos-hecha-arboles-eucalipto-rodeado-audiencia-hipnotizada_850000-54089.jpg

Discuss

Music theory is cool but imo there aren’t rules to music. Music is art & can be expressed anyway you want..its low key a form of white supremacy but that’s another post for another day.

I was in the band in middle & high school & college at Alabama State. We learned the same shyt white schools do, but we put our own spin on it.

If you’re just getting into music it’ll take time to understand chords, voices, arrangements etc. Ear training & music theory classes are fine for a base, but you can add your own stuff on it. You can learn by ear but those classes will explain WHY these things are happening that you hear & produce.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Music theory is cool but imo there aren’t rules to music. Music is art & can be expressed anyway you want..its low key a form of white supremacy but that’s another post for another day.

I was in the band in middle & high school & college at Alabama State. We learned the same shyt white schools do, but we put our own spin on it.

If you’re just getting into music it’ll take time to understand chords, voices, arrangements etc. Ear training & music theory classes are fine for a base, but you can add your own stuff on it. You can learn by ear but those classes will explain WHY these things are happening that you hear & produce.

Square biz, I kinda figured the whole "music theory" argument is low key cacs gatekeeping. Reminds me of the Pharrell interview with a lawyer asking if he studied music theory, and Pharell didn't have a clue of what he was talking about.

My man spent like three decades making the most amazing music known in existence, just to deal with a backhanded comment because "samples".

Hell, Organized Noize made one of the biggest hits of 1995 by playing it by ear. If it wasn't for one of the dudes messing with the drum kicks, Waterfalls would have never been made.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
You can develop techniques on an instrument to play a song but music theory helps you understand wtf you’re playing and what scale you’re in. I’m a self taught beginner guitarist tho so my knowledge is limited. I need to pick up my guitar again.

Yeah I know the low and highs, but the notes seem like foreign language.

Looking at some classical music notes gives me wild programming classes vibes :damn:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
man i didnt even read this retarded shyt

do you "believe" in music theory? what? thats like asking if i 'believe' in the english language

:camby:

Honestly man its a disservice to not know.

People want to complain about the state of music today but then make outlandish statements such as OP.

Its cool I guess cause ya'll will have AI do everything for you anyway :manny:

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
Yeah I know the low and highs, but the notes seem like foreign language.

Looking at some classical music notes gives me wild programming classes vibes :damn:
Yeah I like to compare learning music theory to math due to all the different concepts and formulas you have to use, shyt can be overwhelming. However don’t be too discouraged there are online resources(YouTube, tik tok, IG, Reddit etc)and books you can get that can help you in the process. In the beginning just learn all the sharps and flats and remember it’s only the first seven letters in the alphabet, then move on to major and minor scales. Good luck

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Former pseudo musician here. I can't read music and used to make beats (purely a hobby) in college. I have no idea what key any of them are in.

I say yes, because there's too many concepts/methods that you don't know until you know. I've forgotten them all know, but so many of the beats I had in mind where never made cause I couldn't get the timing right. And I knew it was a time signature issue, but I wasn't sure what the signature should be. These days, I can feel when we've left 4/4 or 3/4 and decode it with a bit of effort but there's gotta be a more educated way.

Quality music doesn't just sound good, its structured well too. I listen to ALL that shyt. The instruments, what they're doing and when, etc. Music theory can definitely help provide the blueprint for the next turn. My shirts were just a hook and 4 bars on loop... BORING!! :snooze: