Essential Coli-members what's the last thing you watched?

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
beb3ac51561f3731b42bc186afe72cdd.jpg

I thought this was incredible. One of the finest films of the decade so far. I'm a big fan of the director's film Dogtooth, and this has many of the same qualities; mixing the absurdly comic with genuine unease, and being a very smart and insightful commentary on human behaviour. What I like about Lanthimos' films are while they raise interesting questions and big ideas, they're first and foremost entertaining. This isn't a dry, austere art house movie. I probably laughed more at this than the majority of studio comedies released this past decade (although it also made me feel more at unease than most horror films too).

Great cast too. I always feel when you give Colin Farrell good material he's one of the best around. His comic timing on his delivery is amazing. And he kills it, as does John C Reilly, Olivia Coleman, Rachel Weisz and some more.

Can't wait to watch this again.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer

henry.jpg

Movie is still one of the coldest movies I've ever seen...even with all of the "advancements" in special efx and all that it accomplishes a whole lot with a lot less. A huge reason why this movie is so effective is the director doesn't judge it's character's even if they do horrible sh-t throughout it.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
dGjHh76.jpg

Men & Chicken is the latest absurdist comedy by Anders Thomas Jensen (Adam's Apples) about two dysfunctional brothers who find out they're really half brothers and go to a remote island to find their biological parents, where they stumble upon three more brothers instead. As one of them tries to find out the truth behind their existence, the other adapts quickly to the erratically insane lifestyle of his brothers. It's a lot of weird slapstick in this one, but occasionally Jensen finds his strong suit in attacking the Bible (and religion in general) about the accepting the gift that is life, no matter how dysfunctional or unnatural it might be. 3/5

FMukSQT.jpg

A loose remake of La Piscine about jealousy and possession coming head on as the vacation of a rockstar and her photographer husband (Tilda Swinton and Matthias Schoenaerts) is disrupted by the arrival of her ex, a hyperactive music producer (Ralph Fiennes), and his daughter who he only found out about a year ago (Dakota Johnson). Suspense builds slowly as the sexual tension, jealousy and annoyance between the four grow stronger in what might as well be the most European movie of the year. The writing is incredibly subtle yet the direction is very on the nose, a close-up on every (object of) intrigue and of course carried by a group of impeccable actors. It's funny, it's sexy, it's outrageous and it's a blast. One of this year's early best. 4/5

5Qzs8ji.jpg

Military thriller about a British operation in Nairobi. A planned extraction of wanted terrorists overseen by drone surveillance turns into an extermination mission by necessity, but to authorize the drone strike the government has to weigh all of its legal/ethical options as the situation intensifies. It's an interesting look into the ethics of military intervention and the demystifying of drone strikes happening without attachment, but the movie often falls into the pitfall of convoluted tension. Once characters start asking each other if they have someone who can buy the bread, well, it just becomes kinda silly. Great (last?) role by Alan Rickman. 3/5

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I'm almost embarrassed at how much this had us dying last night. I loved it as a kid

MV5BMjA3ODA2MjU4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzIwMzUxMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga

I thought this was incredible. One of the finest films of the decade so far. I'm a big fan of the director's film Dogtooth, and this has many of the same qualities; mixing the absurdly comic with genuine unease, and being a very smart and insightful commentary on human behaviour. What I like about Lanthimos' films are while they raise interesting questions and big ideas, they're first and foremost entertaining. This isn't a dry, austere art house movie. I probably laughed more at this than the majority of studio comedies released this past decade (although it also made me feel more at unease than most horror films too).

Great cast too. I always feel when you give Colin Farrell good material he's one of the best around. His comic timing on his delivery is amazing. And he kills it, as does John C Reilly, Olivia Coleman, Rachel Weisz and some more.

did not like this at all. felt like such a waste of time for me. it wasnt terrible. it was just a movie. i didnt care at any point.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

i forgot about this film, will have to watch it very soon.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer

henry.jpg

Movie is still one of the coldest movies I've ever seen...even with all of the "advancements" in special efx and all that it accomplishes a whole lot with a lot less. A huge reason why this movie is so effective is the director doesn't judge it's character's even if they do horrible sh-t throughout it.
funny story about this movie. me and my friend used to play this game where we'd challenge eachother to get really stoned and watch a movie, usually something fukked up or trippy. He made me watch this and I had to turn it off like halfway through. It is very disturbing and it felt like what I was seeing was real. Michael Rooker is a hell of a fukking actor. That movie was so low-grade and dirty that it felt too real to my stoned highschool mind. I should probably rewatch it.