Essential Coli-members what's the last thing you watched?

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
wasnt all that great, and the scene cats on here are raving about is where this dude gets scalped and split from his crotch and pulled apart like a wishbone, if that was the one scene that was supposed to shock and disturb me they failed, movie was okay i guess, not really worth sitting through a second time
NEPrEhK2SLH4TR_1_1.jpg

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Of course you wouldn't.:ducreux2:
The trailer looked like it could be awful. But still interesting. What piqued my interest even more was the cuaron and inarritu cosigns :manny:

But we know how cosigns can go :mjpls:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
If you haven't seen A Bittersweet Life you have to check that one first, breh. It's fukking Kim Jee-woon for crying out loud!
I'm trippin i started bittersweet life and realized i had seen it already. Then I looked on here and saw i watched it in October.

Went with

ManFromNowhere-thumb-300xauto-18671.jpg

Last edited:

Lost His Smile

Stop Existing.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 12th Dimension
Was looking for a war/military film I havent seen, and stumbled upon Deserter starring Tom Hardy.

I thought Tom Hardy was excellent but the film just didn't click with me.

Speaking of Hardy the guy is most definitely in my top 5, especially after watching The Revenant.

Screen-shot-2013-01-01-at-3.28.32-PM.png

Also saw Locke last night and solidified what I said above, hes in my top 5.

tumblr_mzadp1Svfj1qe5f96o1_1280.jpg

Also saw
finesthourgallery.jpg

on Sunday and it was a pretty thrilling movie. I had no prior information about the movie which made it a bit more entertaining.

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
Chasing Amy- 9.5/10 (Smith's Best work)
Inglorious Basterds- 9/10 (Top 3 Tarantino film for me)
Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf- 8.5/ 10 (Elizabeth Taylor was:takedat: in that, drunk tho)
Breathless- 9/10
Blood Simple- 9.9/10
King Pin- 7.5/10

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
IFFR Reviews: Round 3 - When things got interesting

8OmyWIp.jpg

Animal Politico is an existential comedy about a woman who realizes her mundane life is empty and meaningless and heads into the desert on a spiritual journey of self discovery. Also, she is a cow, and she is voiced by a man. Surrealist fukkery ensues and I fukking loved it. Not just because it's like Kubrick meets Oyasumi Punpun meets Monty Python, although that certainly helps. It boasts intelligent philosophical questions and monologues and personal reflection that somehow never come across as pretentious or self indulgent because it's presented with a lot of humor and self-awareness. But the true highlight might not even be this story itself, it's an intermezzo entitled The Little Caucasian Girl, which chronicles the story of a naked redhead pawg who has become stranded on an island. She too ponders about life questions, and wonders about the changes society has gone through since she has stranded, but what makes it the most brilliant thing ever is that her narration quickly identifies her as an airheaded and self-entitled daughter of a plantation owner who looks down on minorities and the poor. So when she wonders about society, she wonders if improved health care is a good thing because how do you tell the rich and poor people apart when everyone has good teeth? And so it becomes an absurdly clever commentary on post-colonialism that might hit even harder than the hilariousness of the self-discovery of the female cow man. 5/5

PPaVSbO.jpg

Tenemos La Carne aka We Are The Flesh is the best Gaspar Noé movie that Gaspar Noé didn't make. Seriously brehs, look at that fukking poster. That shyt screams Gaspar Noe, albeit with a healthy dose of Almodovar as well. So that's why it should come as no surprise that I scoff at that plebian @FlyRy because this movie is far removed from his usual podcast-approved comfort zone. The movie follows a ragged madman who lives in a ruined warehouse. He produces makeshift gasoline from rotting meat and trades it for food with outsiders through a hole in the wall, or simply drinks it himself. One day a wandering couple of brother and sister arrive to seek shelter on their way through the city, and the man quickly recruits them to help him transform the warehouse into a makeshift mother womb. With the restraints of "societal rules" gone he slowly starts seducing them to give in to their primal urges and desires, after which they engage in incest, drinking period blood and many other increasingly sexual/surrealist "fantasies", all shown very explicitly of course, so if you're bothered to look at a close-up of vagina for fifteen seconds, followed by a close-up of a pair of pulsating testicles, you might want to give this one a pass. What is a big deal here though is that in terms of ability director Emiliano Rocha Minter isn't really that far behind on Noé either because the camerawork is a thing of pure beauty, the use of colors and editing phenomenal and it's clear as day that the young man is a talented director, which probably explains why so many big names of Mexican cinema have co-signed him. And although he still has some ways to go, I largely agree. 3.5/5

p65VCFq.jpg

El Abrazo De La Serpiente aka The Embrace Of The Serpent was the other movie I was desperately hoping would play at the festival (the first and foremost was The Assassin, which I'll be seeing later today), which chronicles the explorations of the Amazon by two white men (40 years apart) in search of a rare sacred flower, guided both by the wandering shaman Karamakate, aka the OG Coli Black Militant. The young Karamakate witnessed the murder of his people at the hands of white men and despises them, but also laughs fruitfully at their incompetence to do something as simple as peddling a boat, albeit his enjoyment might be more naivety and underestimation. The old Karamakate is a more bitter man, but as he has started to forget his own culture, his need for purpose pushes him to join yet another white man in his search across the Amazon. Shot in stark black and white, it looks incredible. It might be the best use of black and white since I can't even remember, but it's truly exceptional. There's also something about the photography that stands out but I can't put my finger on it. The camera work feels strangely subdued and static, with most scenes shot on steadicam with no movement almost like it's a documentary, yet despite this the atmosphere still feels so feverish and oppressive, like the madness of the jungle is continuously closing in on you. I don't think I even got the words to describe truly how much it gets to you, but goddamn it just crawls right underneath your skin all the way into your brain. 4.5/5

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
On the docket for this weekend

Sicaro 8.5 / 10 :wow:
The Gift ( :dead: at Bunk being in this after i finished a The Wire binge recently), damn bateman was a real ass hole kid in this movie :heh: Enjoyed it alot, 8/10

Chiraq ( senator clay davis! :heh: ) 6.5-7/10

Will edit later with ratings :banderas:

Last edited: