Essential Coli-members what's the last thing you watched?

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Dheepan worth a watch?

@TheGodling

rngXAjm.jpg

Brehs know that I love me some Cannes but one thing they need to stop is their love affair with Jacques Audiard. When Dheepan took the Palme d'Or this year there was a lot of talk that it was just making up for him losing on Un Prophète and De Rouille Et d'Os (not that either of those films deserved it) and it makes sense because it's just not that good. That's to say, for the most part it's a strong and realistic depiction of three Tamil refugees (pretending to be a family) trying to start a new life in France, but like De Rouille Et d'Os it builds to a climax so stupidly melodramatic and over-the-top (seriously, if you didn't think Audiard would be able to beat that ice punching scene, think again!) that it completely deflates the movie as a whole. It's a shame too because a topic like this deserves a good, honest depiction in cinema, and this couldn't have been better timed given the current immigrant crisis in Europe, but unfortunately this isn't the movie the world needs on that topic.

So basically for a long time the movie works fine until it stops working and becomes mind-bogglingly stupid.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
didn't see you had peeped this earlier in the week. thoughts?

edit: just saw you peeped brick last month too.. i actually didn't like it. i thought the concept was dope..but i didn't find the characters all that believable..maybe they were miscast idk.. still a really dope concept. I might need to rewatch it because I was loving it last night and I fell asleep about an hour in and finished it today

Last edited:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
didn't see you had peeped this earlier in the week. thoughts?

edit: just saw you peeped brick last month too.. i actually didn't like it. i thought the concept was dope..but i didn't find the characters all that believable..maybe they were miscast idk.. still a really dope concept. I might need to rewatch it because I was loving it last night and I fell asleep about an hour in and finished it today

Go is OK. It's well made and entertaining enough, but non of the three stories are that interesting on their own. Waiting for them to tie together keeps things interesting though.

As far as Brick, I'm never surprised when people dislike it. It's a very odd film. I love it though. I don't think any of it is supposed to be believable. They're full on noir characters, speaking in the most heightened noir-speak imaginable.....and their high school students.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Go is OK. It's well made and entertaining enough, but non of the three stories are that interesting on their own. Waiting for them to tie together keeps things interesting though.

As far as Brick, I'm never surprised when people dislike it. It's a very odd film. I love it though. I don't think any of it is supposed to be believable. They're full on noir characters, speaking in the most heightened noir-speak imaginable.....and their high school students.
Has any character ever gotten his ass kicked on screen so much? :heh:

I may watch it again you have to be in the mood for a noir and I watched it in a split viewing

• Dap
Reactions: HHR

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Has any character ever gotten his ass kicked on screen so much? :heh:

I may watch it again you have to be in the mood for a noir and I watched it in a split viewing

I watched during a month of 22 noir viewings....so I guess I was in the mood lol

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
vUDvqH5.jpg

Enjoyed this. Bale's one of my favorite actors and as usual he delivered here. The pacing felt off to me here and there, and I think there could've been a stronger villain, but that aside dope concept and good film overall.