Essential Coli-members what's the last thing you watched?

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
A few horror things this past week:

It Follows

Hadn't seen it before. I liked it. It's got a cool little conceit and bruh knows his John Carpenter films very well. There's certain things that don't entirely make sense and are a bit convoluted but I loved how the director used the framing of shots to build tension. It was pretty smart.

Rosemary's Baby

All time classic. The "rape" sequence is one of the most :demonic: scenes ever. This is more the kinda horror I prefer...atmospheric with three dimensional characters rather than stupiud fukking teenagers.

The Others

I had watched this years before but it's interesting watching it again knowing the twist. I like it a lot. Really dope classic style gothic horror with some serious nods to arguably the GOAT gothic horror The Innocents. Like the best gothic horror it's less scary than it is melancholic and tragic.

Thinner

Now this was some random shyt I stuck on in the weekend when I was surfing through the horror section on Netflix. This shyt was comedy and incredibly entertaining. It's a 90s Stephen King adaptation about an obese man who is given a gypsy curse which makes him rapidly lose weight (to the point It'll kill him). There is some SERIOUS fukkery in this film and some pretty dope make up effects. Plus a thugged out Joe Mantegna :banderas: . I loved it.

The reptile curse in thinner was :scust:

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Noirvember #2

Conte's "Mr. Brown" is simply one of the best villains in noir.

sscombo6.jpg
Can´t find it on imdb?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Watched a UK horror movie called "The Canal". shyt was kinda dope. Real nice cinematography and some legitimately creepy visuals.

Fred.

old_timer

Taxi Squad
Daps
too many chick flicks and comedies to mention here:francis:
and you should see the shyt my girlfriend has on the holds list for her library card
she spares me from the worst of it :mjlol: and at least shes not a smartphone addict

anyway i had to go back to basics- :mjcry:

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
Thecoli told me to watch:

grimm-header-2.jpg

And I found it damn near perfect for a low budget TV-Series that remains in the dark but who's story/dialogue is refreshingly well written. It's a series that took itself seriously from the moment it hit the ground, which is how a story about monsters should be told. Too many stories mistake accent, visual accuracy and having conspiracy organizations as being "serious" (The Originals, The 100s, Supergirl for instance) when in reality what makes a story serious is the proper representation; of how humans/others would properly act faced with the unknown/alien. This particular difference in ontology and epistemology is what makes series such as this and "The Walking Dead", and even "The Flash", the masterpieces that they are.

A good fantasy/sci-fi story has a solid grasp of the many different human reactions, expectations, adaptation and growth when facing that which is different. That's the core of good story-telling. There's a lot of shows that fail to grasp this seemingly simple concept.

All in all I raise my glass to the writers of this very well written series. The visuals to this TV-series borders on the abysmal, but the effort put into the story AND the acting :banderas: is so meticulous that it makes the lack of proper visuals something to be understood and respected. 'Cause I know that from the start the producers weren't working with much (and still aren't judging from the most recent season), but they did something amazing with the little they had.

• Dap
Reactions: jeh

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
Watching the netflix season of Arrested Development, it's crazy how terribly the sister aged, she looks like she legit uses meth