Essential Coli-members what's the last thing you watched?

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
saint maud saying bro?
I liked it. But I also kind of said "that's it!?" When it ended.

I saw it Friday and knew it was going to be another divisive A24 horror flick. I wouldn't even really call it horror other than 1 scene.

I expect the audience score on RT to drop further once more see it

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
I liked it. But I also kind of said "that's it!?" When it ended.

I saw it Friday and knew it was going to be another divisive A24 horror flick. I wouldn't even really call it horror other than 1 scene.

I expect the audience score on RT to drop further once more see it
i hear you, thanks my man..hopefully some day soon we will get edgar wright's one night in soho!!

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

Riders Of Justice,
opening film of the 50th edition of IFFR. :blessed:

The new film Anders Thomas Jensen (Adam's Apples, Men & Chicken) stars Mads Mikkelsen as a hardened soldier whose wife is killed in a train accident. When a survivor of the accident, a statistics expert, shows up on his doorstep with evidence that it may have been a targeted assassination, he goes on a quest for retribution. Like their other collaborations it's an intelligent and entertaining mixture of comedy drama, featuring some wildly absurd and dark humor while simultaneously telling a poignant story about the process of trauma and grief. Absolutely awesome.

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

The Edge Of Daybreak is a Thai arthouse horror fever dream... I guess? :patrice: I'm not gonna pretend I fully understood what was going in this flick since most of the film plays out as dream sequences of traumatized people stuck in an old mansion. What this film also is? fukking gorgeous to look at. :ohlawd: Shot in stark black & white it features some amazing cinematography that makes even the vaguest of scenes look absolutely beautiful. I scored this shyt an 8/10 just because of it. The bar has been set for 2021.

Maybe the rave reviews and the fact that I hold Andrei Konchalovsky (of Runaway Train and Tango & Cash fame) in high regard made me expect too much of Dear Comrades!, but I thought the film was just alright. It's shot remarkably low-key in 4:3 aspect ratio that makes things look more stilted rather than the intimacy Konchalovsky attempts to be going for. Due to this some scenes also feel weirdly amateurish, especially some of the bigger crowd scenes look like they picked extras from the street and just told them to make a fist and yell at the camera. When the film moves away from its first act riot centerpiece and focuses more on the characters maneuvring the insane bureaucracy of Soviet suppression it starts to find a bit more of its groove but not enough to highly recommend it.

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

The North Wind is a surreal story about a matriarchic aristocrat family who can live an extra hour (the thirteenth or the twentyfith) in the day. When the fiancee of the promising male heir dies unexpectedly, it sends the family in decay. Told almost exclusively through yearly family gatherings on New Year's Eve the surrealness of how their luxurious lifestyle crumbles is only emphasized stronger. The costume and set design is gorgeous but due to its structure the film feels more like an elaborate (albeit intriguing) stageplay.

Madalena is a so-so drama about three characters who are connected by a missing woman, revealed in the opening shot to have been killed and dumped in a field. The how and why is never addressed as it only follows how it affects the three characters' ordinary lives but it doesn't offer enough insight to really make you care.

It wouldn't be IFFR without social satire fukkery from Brazil, and Carro Rei (King Car) is fukkery of the highest order. A young student who can communicate with cars and his uncle, a handicapped but gifted mechanic, pimp up a sentient car from his childhood. When a tax is introduced aimed to ban older cars from the streets, the three start pimping other old cars to circumvene the tax. Of course the sentient and power hungry car has bigger plans in an environmentally conscious take on Christine. As the RZA would say, fukkin' ridiculous. :russ:

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
82967.jpg

Anyone notice how the opening to this is alot like the opening to Skyfall?